Weight limit on scooters?

momof4kids

Earning My Ears
I was looking at the Disney website and found a link to what I think was called Scooterbugs. There were three types of scooters. Can anyone break it down for me and give me the info on these scooters such as weight limit etc? I tried to fill out the form but it wouldn’t accept it.

Scooterbug.com/orlando:
Resort: 350 lbs
Resort Plus: 450 lbs
Resort Lite: 300 lbs

The weight limits are what's stated. You do want to account for accessories, purchases, devices, etc. So if the user weighs 288, they might want to stay away from an EGG with a 300 pound limit.

What other specific questions do you have? Many are probably already answered in the pinned disABILITIES FAQ. Especially, for mobility devices, post #_2.

Thanks so much for replies, and I’ll check out that thread. I’m just nervous about using one of these on our trip next November yet I know I’ll have to. I’m nervous about loading onto the bus, and accidentally hitting someone, and how do you keep them from being stolen? I’m afraid of the rudeness and impatience of other guests. I’ll be renting from a Disney approved company. Currently I weigh 393 but I’m losing weight at a pretty good pace (lost 73 lbs so far!). So I’m not sure yet what size I’ll need. How soon do I need to order one for rent if I’m going November 2020?

Last edited:

Check out Walker Mobility. They can accommodate nearly everyone with great accessories and power to spare

Easy, You want the resort plus. Close to the maximum weight will reduce battery life and power on hills.

I’ll be renting from a Disney approved company. ... How soon do I need to order one for rent if I’m going November 2020?

Starting very recently, the only "Disney featured provider" is Scooter Bug. They will be the only company allowed to leave equipment with WDW resort Bell Services for the guest by the time of your trip. Other vendors are very good as well, and will meet you in person - if you are new to using an ECV they'll go over how it works as well. I think most people reserve mobility equipment a couple of months before the trip, but it can be done earlier than that if you'd like to check that off your to-do list.

Enjoy your vacation!

I meant to put this in my prior post. You need to view scooterbugs website on a computer. A lot of details, including maximum weight, don't appear when viewing the site on a mobile device.

edited to add most companies rent a scooter which can easily be broken down and transported in the trunk of a car. Gold Mobility calls it something like a go go scooter. Scooterbug calls it Resort Lite. Gold only suggests renting it if you're going to be transporting the ECV. Even if you're light the battery life, and ECV power is less.

I called Scooterbug, They suggest their Resort Plus for all customers. Those are all new scooters and that's the only model Scooterbug rents with a USB charging port.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for replies, and I’ll check out that thread. I’m just nervous about using one of these on our trip next November yet I know I’ll have to. I’m nervous about loading onto the bus, and accidentally hitting someone, and how do you keep them from being stolen? I’m afraid of the rudeness and impatience of other guests. I’ll be renting from a Disney approved company. Currently I weigh 393 but I’m losing weight at a pretty good pace (lost 73 lbs so far!). So I’m not sure yet what size I’ll need. How soon do I need to order one for rent if I’m going November 2020?

Wow! Congratulations on your weight loss - that is awesome! 🙂

I apologize in advance - I know my reply is a bit long, but I hope it answers some of your questions!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Couple of quick things: First of all, you don't have to worry about your rental ECV getting *stolen* as much as it getting "lost"... Let me explain.

Cast Members routinely have to shift around scooters and strollers to keep walkways clear, and to fill in blank spots. Because there are so many similar ECVs (especially rental ECVs) it can be easy for your rental to become "lost" in a small sea of similar looking units. So, one of the things we recommend you do is tie a brightly colored length of ribbon, or even a brightly colored cotton bandana somewhere on the scooter. That way, you ask the CM who is moving scooters and strollers around if they have seen the scooter with the bright green ribbons on the basket - instead of "the black one" or "the one with a captain's chair".

In all the years I have been hanging around here, we have had *one* scooter that was literally taken by accident because it was identical to the scooter that person had rented. (for rentals, the keys are all the same so the rental company doesn't have to keep track of one particular set of keys - they can hand over any key for any scooter). It all got sorted in the end, and everything was OK. But seriously, at WDW, in the Parks, you don't have to worry.

And always always always take the key if you leave the scooter anywhere. Cast Members know how to disengage the brake to move it if need be.

Remember that you won't park it outside your hotel room - it goes in your hotel room every night to full recharge - and I know it goes without saying that you don't ever want leave anything in/on the scooter that you don't want to grow legs and "walk" away...

Disney Springs is a bit different as well - because it's open to the public with no admission, there is a greater chance that someone *might* try to take it on a joyride, but simply taking the key with you every time you leave it solves a lot of that kind of nonsense!

Now, let's talk about buses. And ramps. (and Monorails and boats, too - they use portable ramps to get on and off)

I know that a lot of folks worry about other Guests watching or "judging" them when they use the ramp to drive their device into/out of the bus. Here's what you need to know about that:

I've been using a personal mobility device for *years* at WDW now, and I know that people who appear to be staring at you when you are loading/unloading from the bus really are often just watching out of curiosity.

Think about it like this: The bus pulls up, and everyone gets off. BUT before anyone can get on, the driver closes the front doors, and the back doors, and then walks to the back of the bus. The back doors open again - but only *after* the bus has "kneeled" (with a great huge wheezy gasp) and then barfed out a ramp with all kinds of beeping as well!

It's a wonder that Disney hasn't decided to sell tickets for the spectacular that is the bus deploying/retracting the ramp!

So, often the folks who may (to us) appear to be "judging" or staring, are actually WDW newbies who are startled by all of the commotion. But it's the *bus* they are watching - not us. :)

And if anyone *should* make a snippy little remark? Try to remember that people who make remarks like that tend to leap to conclusions - and to also work from a place of ignorance and denial.

At WDW especially, it's like all the boundaries are broken - people who ordinarily would never say something like that suddenly feel like because we have all been standing in line together for the last 23 minutes, it's OK to tell you how to run your life, or parent your kid, or cure what ails you.

I no longer try to "educate" people at WDW - nowadays, I just give them my biggest old smile, and a reasonably sincere "Bless your heart!" (if you are from the south, you know exactly how much shade I just pitched back at them) and I ignore them thereafter.

They are the ones with the problem - not you, or your family. Sometimes, we just have to make like Elsa, and Let It Go... :)

But let's get back on track - and get you on the bus! At the Resort Hotel, make sure you are parked in the white painted rectangle at the bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees you, and knows you are waiting to ride. As the bus approaches, I usually try to wave and smile to let the driver know I will be riding their bus.

When the driver says that it's time to board the bus, just let them know that you are a newbie, and will appreciate all the help they can give you. Remember - they are an *expert* at getting folks on and off the bus, so just take a deep breath, and listen to their instructions, and everything will be fine 🙂

When the ramp comes down, line up on the ramp, and try to go right up the center. At the top of the ramp you will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until you are used to the ECV. Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to run over the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in. The drivers will give you instructions and will help as much as they can, but *technically* it is up to you (or a member of your party) to actually get the ECV up into (or back out of) the bus. You will always board first, and exit last.

If you are just too worried about driving on and off the bus, someone who is with you can do that for you. Again, they just have to follow the bus driver's instructions. You can walk up or down the ramp after the driver tells you it is safe to do so.

When it's time to drive off the bus, the most important thing is to make sure that you don't turn your front wheels (or the "tiller" - the steering mechanism) until AFTER your rear wheels are on the ground, and you are completely clear of the ramp. You don't want to catch the edge of the ramp, and tip over!

So that you can have the best trip possible, here's a few more tips, just for you:

- Plan ahead if you are flying. Remember that long lines at TSA - and long concourses inside terminals - can be problematic. You may want to consider bringing along a folding rollator or a wheelchair that someone in your party could push, or arranging for an airport porter service if you will need it.

- If flying in to Orlando, be sure to let Disney's Magical Express know if you will need to use the lift to get in and out of the bus that goes to and from the airport. (you must be seated on/in a wheelchair or ECV to use the lift)

- You can always practice your ECV driving and parking skills with the electric carts at Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, the grocery store, etc. and it will help. If you can tame one of those giant, wheezing beasties, a mere rental at WDW will be a breeze! :)

- WDW has a rule - for everyone's safety - that only you ride the ECV. You will undoubtedly see people holding children on their laps while driving their scooters, but it's very dangerous, and I hope you will agree that safety comes first. One ECV, one rider.

- Remember to stay sharp and focused while driving the ECV - people at WDW tend to be doing everything but paying attention to others when they are walking, and many of us here have had folks run right into us, or walk right in front of us as we are moving!

Bipeds don't realize that many scooters can't just stop on a dime; some of them "coast" a bit before coming to a complete stop, even if the driver is hard on the brakes. To help keep everyone safe and whole, I try to make eye contact, smile politely, and offer an cheerful "Excuse me!" when needed. Little kiddos are also prone to running out in front of mobility devices because they are blissfully unaware of the laws of physics.

- If you can, practice a bit with your rental (at the Resort is a great spot for this) prior to going in to the parks. Get used to how it handles, turns, stops and starts. Every ECV is a bit different (just like any other vehicle). I have 2 personal ECVs, identical models and they each have their own "personality" (and name. Because I'm weird like that LOL)

- A few miscellaneous driving tips: anytime at WDW (or anytime using an ECV for that matter) be aware of ramps, hills and slopes. Going up, you will want to lean forward slightly to help shift your center of gravity towards the front of the ECV. Take your time on steep slopes, hills or ramps, and if possible, approach them at a slight angle at the base.

Coming down, be very aware of your speed, and make sure you can brake effectively. Two hands on the wheel!

When crossing the train tracks embedded in Main Street at MK, be sure to cross at an angle. Otherwise, you risk the wheel(s) getting caught, and you could find yourself dumped rather unceremoniously onto Main Street. Everyone wants to have an unforgettable trip - just for the right reasons!

Using an ECV is simply using the best possible available TOOL to get the most possible enjoyment from your vacation.

If you need glasses, do you refuse to wear them, going through life squinting at everyone and everything? Probably not.

If you need to use a calculator to do math, do you refuse to touch it, and instead resort to pencil and paper - or counting on toes and fingers? Probably not.

Both of those - glasses and calculators - are TOOLS that we use every day to make our lives more efficient. At WDW, many people use an ECV as a tool to improve both their stamina, and their enjoyment of the vacation, and to manage pain.

There are many people who rent ECVs only at WDW - in their "regular" lives, they never need one or use one. If you are worried about other peoples perceptions of you, please don't be. The likelihood that you will EVER see any other guest from WDW again is so incredibly tiny that you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning AND winning the lottery in the same day.

So, smile, and wave, and have a wonderful trip!!!

In light of your ongoing weight loss, I’d personally wait until MUCH later to worry about reserving an ECV. In nine or ten months you won’t have to do nearly as much speculating about which model will best fit your needs and neither will the company from which you rent.

Multiple companies rent high quality ECVs and I’ve never had a problem getting what I wanted/needed, even when forgetting to order one until within days of a trip (our Thanksgiving trip last year 😳).

The larger capacity scooters help even if you can use a smaller one based on weight. The larger scooters have better batteries that are meant to last longer in the parks. They are heavy duty. It's less likely you will run out of power.

Please make sure you turn the scooter off when watching a show, parade, or fireworks. This conserves the batteries.

I bought a pair of inexpensive bright orange coil wrist key chains--one for the ignition key that I wore while off scooter doing things, one coiled around one of the steering grips to make it easy to spot in a crowded parking area.View attachment 443639

1st - congrats on the weight loss! that's awesome :)

You've already had many great tips! Here's a bit about my experience. I used an ECV for the first time at Disney last year. I had a very bad ankle break 19 years ago, 4 major surgeries... I don't have much strength or mobility in that ankle and after all those years, it has also caused many issues with my knees, hips, back etc. I had many fears about the ECV leading up to the trip, especially when it came to getting on/off the buses. The reality was it went so much better than I had anticipated. The drivers were very helpful. Like a previous poster said, line up well to the ramp going up, same thing going down and do it all slowly. The ECV I had rented had a knob for the speed, I always turned it down to the lowest so I wouldn't accidently go faster. Going down, just make sure you are completely off the ramp before starting to turn the wheels. In the parks it went well, the hardest part was the people walking and not watching where they are going... or stepping right in front in you then stopping suddenly so you really need to pay attention at all times but the rest it all went just fine. I much preferred the rental over what I saw was available at the parks, those were much bigger and harder to control and turn.

Now, the best part... it make our trip so much easier and better! Looking back, I should have rented an ECV on earlier trips. Having it meant I could last longer in the parks, was in less pain so more stamina and overall it meant a much better vacation for my whole family. It really made a difference. Basically I realized all the fears I had about the scooter before the trip really weren't an issue.

Also, I only reserved mine maybe about a month before the trip. I'm not quite sure how long ahead is the best time to book, but I am pretty sure that since you are only going in one year you can still wait quite a few months before reserving. In the mean time, do your research and if the opportunity presents itself to practice with another ECV, go for it. Probably won't be the same type but that's ok, it'll give you a good idea. Often stores like Walmart and Costco have some available for customers so maybe try that.

I always took the key out whenever I stopped, whether it was to get off or just to stay put for a while. Saves on battery but also reduces the chances to accidently start moving. I also "decorated" the scooter a bit, nothing fancy but I attached a bright color bandana to the handle and also something similar on the back if I remember correctly. Helped me find my scooter easier but also reduced the chances someone else would confuse my scooter for theirs.

I usually make and laminate a "license plate" that I can zip tie to the basket on my scooter that references whatever we are celebrating. That makes it a lot harder for someone to think it is theirs! My personal scooter gets used by my husband at Disney while I use a rental and that one is always decorated with a Mickey sticker on the post and braided cords on the basket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter