Weight Loss at Walt Disney World?

I also had big weight loss a couple years ago. It took me a long time but I went from 230 lbs to 122. Unfortunately...I have lost my drive to exercise and eat all lo-cal stuff. While we were at Disney over Christmas I put on 10 pounds in 7 days. I think a lot of it has to do with whether it's hot while you're there or not. Obviously, if it is hot you're going to exert more energy than just mozying around in the 65-70 degree weather. Past years when we vacationed in the summer I don't remember gaining any weight but eating the same stuff. All in all, I'm back up to 150 lbs and feeling like sort of a loser. How quickly all that hard work can go down the drain when you eat around "the world"! :rotfl2:

ExPirateShopGirl said:
I worried about gaining weight before our first trip, but even with the dining plan... and all that god-awful taffy from the main street candy joint... and the butter-slathered tonga toast... and the two helpings of coconut tiramisu at Boma... and the two helpings of the bread pudding dessert at Ohana... as well as the 14 honey-coriander wings I put away... and the Dole Whip Floats... and the chocolate coated mickey crispies... and the entire filet with cream cheese mashed potatoes at Le Cellier... and the cheese soup... I still managed to lose a couple of pounds.

I don't like you. Nope. Not at all.
7.gif

Not because you lost weight, mind you. You made me hungry!!! :goodvibes

ExPirateShopGirl said:
I worried about gaining weight before our first trip, but even with the dining plan... and all that god-awful taffy from the main street candy joint... and the butter-slathered tonga toast... and the two helpings of coconut tiramisu at Boma... and the two helpings of the bread pudding dessert at Ohana... as well as the 14 honey-coriander wings I put away... and the Dole Whip Floats... and the chocolate coated mickey crispies... and the entire filet with cream cheese mashed potatoes at Le Cellier... and the cheese soup... I still managed to lose a couple of pounds. Clearly, I live in a world with a benevolent God... :rotfl:

The fine print: I ran 5 miles each morning around Ft Wilderness! Otherwise... balloonage!

:beach:

I have lost 52 lbs in the last 7 months. I have 10 lbs to go and I'm about to begin working out with a personal trainer at the gym to tone up so that I actually look good on a vacation for once.

I've been worried about the food for my Sept trip as I'm on the Dining Plan and I think the food at Disney is one of the reasons I go. :rolleyes: BUT as I was reading your post, I kept thinking to myself..... I hope that's me when I go... I hope that's me when I go... I wanna eat all of that and not gain any of my weight back...........

Then I got to the fine print part and thought: Forget that! Never going to happen. :sad2: and all of my hopes just came crashing down. :teeth:

disneymama73 said:
I don't like you. Nope. Not at all.
7.gif

Not because you lost weight, mind you. You made me hungry!!! :goodvibes

Ditto! Now I'm STARVING!!!!! popcorn::

I probably break even. Sense I live pretty close to Disney I probably dont gain or lose much weight. I may walk around all day but then Id eat acouple times. Im not worried about my weight though so I dont mind if I gain a pound or 2.

Really it depends on your boy in general, I only have to look atfood and I put on weight yet my sister eats non stop and is stick thin, always has been!

Last June, honeymoon, we walked a lot more and as it was so hot didn't eat as much yet I know I put on weight as I ate more than i would ususally at home!

Determined to stick to weight watchers and be comfotable with my weight for Nov. trip to DL and then I can eat what I like (pretty much!).

I refuse to diet on holiday!!

ExPirateShopGirl said:
and the chocolate coated mickey crispies... and the entire filet with cream cheese mashed potatoes at Le Cellier... and the cheese soup...

You and I were at the World during the same time last year and ordered the exact same thing at Le Cellier. Unfortunately, that Dining Plan did DH and I both in. I gained, not sure how much, but things were fitting tighter. :mad: Was it worth it? Definitely!!!! :banana: Yummy Yummy Stuff! I ate things I wouldn't have ordered without that plan. I'm very tempted to do it again, but I've decided that 2 years in a row, is just not right. I might change my mind when I'm there though. Will power don't let me down! :goodvibes:

Normally, I break even, though. More delicious food than at home, but with all of the walking, I even out.

Here's hoping I don't gain anything when I go in 11 days!!!! ;)

I find I am so motivated before a Disney holiday, I go to gym eat well and lose about 7lbs before I step on the plane, I understand that I will put the weight back on at disney. The problem for me is the motivation dip after the holiday :confused3

I think it helps if you don't gorge yourself when you eat in WDW. Eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. Also, we make our big special meal at lunch. That way we have the whole afternoon to walk (or "walk" in my case) and not having the food sitting in our stomach the rest of the night. Our only exception is the California Grill, but even then we get ADRs for opening time.

DH and I usually lose about 10 pounds each. We walk a lot and we swim every day. We usually eat breakfast, grab a snack for lunch and eat a table service dinner. Every visit we ate well and came home lighter...except for the dining plan year! On the dining plan we added a counter service lunch :sad2: and we were up about five pounds. On our next trip no dining plan!

Maybe you all gained 5lbs of muscle!! :teeth:

That is what I tell myself, with all that extra walking, especially the speed walking towards the popular rides, which seem to be at the back of the parks..IE: Splash and Big Thunder Mountains, or AK Safari.

Just keep telling your self..it is muscle...it is muscle.. :goodvibes

Red Sox Idiot said:
I have been a avid dieter in the past losing 95 pounds... In 4 short months I have gained 15-20 pounds back... My question to you DIS'ers is how much weight have you lost during your vacation at WDW? I also intend to eat pretty well while I am on vacation :thumbsup2

Pardon my skipping right to a response without reading other replies --

My suggestion would be that you control your calorie intake while visiting. That in combination with walking all you can will most likely strip off those pesky pounds that have reappeared. I've lost as much as 14 pounds over a 2 week stay just by doing that. Best wishes & keep up the good work!!

ps/ and remember; eat to live, don't live to eat! :)

I have never gained a pound at DW and that includes the fact that I often take steriods while I am there because of my COPD. I take it when I first get there and have an immediate 5 pound gain but since we stay extended amounts of time (also because of the COPD) it is usually out of my system by the time we return home. :thumbsup2

I take my home scales with me too so that I do not have any nasty surprises when I get home. It would break my heart to get home and find I had a huge loss and could have 'afforded' one extra Mickey bar, or two. :lmao:

Red Sox. (I just cannot call you an idiot), congratulations on your weight loss. If only the pounds we lost would just stay lost but keeping them off is much harder than losing them. I lost about 90 pounds but then put about 15 back and yesterday (my BD) I finally got them off and am now back working off 'new" pounds. Celebrate what you have kept off and just get back into your routine and those found pounds will disappear once again. You may well find that you must repeat this often for the rest of your life but it is a whole lot easier to lose a few pounds rather than a few dozen. Wish I had been that smart years ago. :wave:

Maybe you could just eat a bite or two of your favorite foods or interesting new foods and leave the rest? That is what I am planning for our upcoming trip. It does not hurt that my hubby is an eating machine either and he will gladly eat my leftovers, he has for years. He is not fat. I am. Not fair!!! :sad2:

Slightly Goofy

The last two times my DH and I have been we have both come back between 5 to 7 lbs lighter and we were on the dining plan and just ate what we wanted. If we didn't want desert we didn't get it and salad or shrimp cocktail was our appetizer.

This is a topic that is at the top of my mind these days. I've currently lost 119 pounds total, since January, yes, January. I am only 1 pound away from my original goal weight, but I have been considering losing even more, perhaps another 10 pounds, just to give myself that buffer zone. That way, if I do gain at Disney World I'll still be at my original goal or lower.

I think about my weight so much that I even upgraded to Coronado Springs Resort from ASMo because CSR has a fitness center. I want to be able to eat those Dole Whips :)

oldcrow said:
This is a topic that is at the top of my mind these days. I've currently lost 119 pounds total, since January, yes, January. I am only 1 pound away from my original goal weight, but I have been considering losing even more, perhaps another 10 pounds, just to give myself that buffer zone. That way, if I do gain at Disney World I'll still be at my original goal or lower.

I think about my weight so much that I even upgraded to Coronado Springs Resort from ASMo because CSR has a fitness center. I want to be able to eat those Dole Whips :)
That is AMAZING! 119 pounds.

Isn't it fascinating how some people gain and some people lose weight while at Disney? I'ver never actually stood on the scale after a trip, but I suspect I fall into the "gain weight" category! I'm on a major weightloss lifestyle right now so it worries me a bit re: our upcoming trip in 2 months. I want to eat and have fun without feeling deprived while in Disney, but I also don't want to gain back some of the weight I've worked so hard (and will continue to) to lose. I'm hoping to do a lot of walking (even more than usual), and make a few healthy choices, but still get that dessert that I REALLY want from time to time (ie. sundae at Ghiradelli or maple creme brulee at Le Cellier). Oh my I'm hungry now!!!!!

Well I will be in WDW in three weeks and I just joined WW (again) on Thursday. I will have exactly three weeks under my belt when we leave.

This past week in the WW meeting they were talking about a "live it" vs a "diet". This really hit home with me as I almost didn't join WW because I figured "what is the point since I am going to WDW in three weeks."

The points that were made in the meeting we so true: If you are on a "diet" it's temporary and you can't wait to go back to your old eating habits, hence you put back on the weight. If you are on a "live it" it is always there, it is permanent, it is a lifestyle change. Also a "diet" is about deprevation a "live it" it about modification.

So I'm glad a joined and I am trying my best to be on a "live it" rather than a "diet". I'm trying to not use the WDW trip as a reason to go whole hog and bust the bank 'cause I "might as well". I also do not plan on depriving myself of something I really want.

First I am taking a hard look at my ADR's and trying to pick places where I can indulge in lean meats and seafood. That is better than pasta and fried chicken! Same thing with counter serve ... I can choose rotessierie chicken or a grilled chicken salad with light dressing.

I won't beat myself up if I slip up at a meal. I will try to do my best at each meal and make the best choices I can.

I will realize that just because I have dessert at dinner does not mean that I have to have doughnuts for breakfast!

We are also going to share a lot.

WDWO

Me and my boyfriend :love: went to disney a couple of weeks ago and stayed 5 nights with the dining plan. I gained 14 pounds :guilty: . But I ate everything and even ate to the point where I was miserable several times. Looking back on it I wish I had just eaten till I was full. But then again, I am glad that for a week I ate exactly what I wanted when I wanted. We had a great trip. :banana: (and that weight is coming back off :woohoo: )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!