Weighted blankets; do they work?

Never heard of them. I Googled it, interesting.
We need a new blanket, so we just have a sheet and bed spread on the bed now. Been down into the mid 30's and with warm pajamas we have discovered we don't need a blanket at all.

We need a new blanket, so we just have a sheet and bed spread on the bed now. Been down into the mid 30's and with warm pajamas we have discovered we don't need a blanket at all.

It's a medical device for those with anxiety and other issues not a heavier comforter

I've only heard about them one other time here on a DIS thread. I think I will have to go google them, also.

It can also be used for insomnia.... supposedly. That's why I wanted to know if they work. Would be nice to get a good night's sleep.

I am thinking of getting my dil one for Christmas as she does have anxiety. But the more I read about them, the more I am considering one for myself.

My husband bought me one 2 weeks ago for my birthday. I can't sleep without a blanket, no matter how warm I am. I have insomnia and tend to feel anxiety before bed and did a sleep study over the summer. I have been sleeping better, but I think it's too soon to say whether it is because of the blanket.

He bought me a Brookestone brand from Bed Bath & Beyond. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is not breathable. And he got me a 12 lb one. It is supposed to be 10% of your body weight. I am a wee bit over 120 lbs. Well maybe a lot over! It does feel good though.

I purchased one to share with my younger daughter. She has sensory issues and I have insomnia. We both love it and it turns out that my adult daughter does too. I purchased the first one from Weighting Comforts during a rare deep-discount sale. It was a returned item -- perhaps the wrong weight for the person who ordered it -- in the "Coolmax" textile. That's been really helpful on hot nights when we want the weight but not extra warmth. I'm hoping to pick a few more up during this year's holiday sales so we won't need to fight over it. I've seen lower-priced versions in fleecy covers at places like Bed, Bath & Beyond.

I think weighted blankets are a "love it or hate it" type thing depending on your own sensory disposition. I sleep lightly and hate "feathery" touches. I used to pile on blankets even in warm weather because I found the pressure eased minor aches and pains and helped me sleep more deeply. I've heard that other people feel overwhelmed by weighted blankets. If you're not sure if it'll work for you, perhaps ask a family member to pile some heavy coats on you while you're in bed. If that weight feels soothing, maybe you'll get good results from the blankets.

I love mine. It's very comfortable (and comforting!) to me. I have a CalmForter, and it isn't as heavy as some options out there (I think it's between 12 and 14 pounds). I always loved having heavy blankets on me in the winter and I find it does help me sleep more soundly. I also fall asleep much quicker when I am using it. It also helps that while obviously it needs to be cool enough to sleep with a blanket, it isn't exactly a WARM blanket, just heavy. For example, we had one cooler night this summer, when it got down to the 60s, and I used it simply because I was missing it and it was still comfortable. That said, I do wake up pretty warm in the winter when the heat is on, since I use it on top of my sheets and quilt.

A good way to explain how it feels is it's kind of like when you go to the dentist and they put the x-ray smock on you. Obviously it's more flexible and not necessarily as heavy but if you like that sensation, you will probably like the weighted blanket.

So they aren't breathable? My adult DD wants one, and I know her cat likes to get under the covers with her when it's cold.

So they aren't breathable? My adult DD wants one, and I know her cat likes to get under the covers with her when it's cold.

There are breathable ones. But make sure the packaging states that is what it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter