Weirdest Thing You've Eaten

RUDisney

Mom to Ivan & Kristina
When my kids were little and we'd take them to the Philadelphia Zoo, I'd ask them to name the kind of animals they were seeing. For many, they'd say, "I don't know." I'd tell them that they were delicious... ostriches, turtles, frogs, etc. At the back of the park was a rhinoceros. I'd ask them what it was called and they'd roll their eyes and say, "delicious?" I'd tell them, "no, that's a rhinoceros. I've never tasted one of those." Yes, I've eaten a lot of things that others might find strange. It showed my kids that I wasn't afraid to try things and they have always tried them, too.

My favorite thing to say now when people ask what is the weirdest thing I've tried is to say, "do you know what kangaroo tastes like? It tastes like goat."

So, I'd guess that kangaroo is the weirdest for me. How about for you?

Rocky Mountain Oysters

Less "weird" but I haven't had the opportunity to try much would be...

Tripe
Cow Udder

Both of those I had in Italy

It was normal to eat chicken hearts and gizzards when I was little. My mother fixed them often.
No way anymore!!

I have Asian and African friends who love goat. I haven't tried it yet.
It's good, but boney. It's served in Indian restaurants. I tend to gravitate to the goat dishes because I can't find them anywhere else.

It was normal to eat chicken hearts and gizzards when I was little. My mother fixed them often.
No way anymore!!

I’ve only ever had hearts one place, but gizzards are everywhere so I don’t really think of them as “odd” even though hearts probably aren’t really “weirder”.

Sauteed Jellyfish!!!!!!!!!! It was in sesame oil so was actually okay tastinng though like eating moist gummy worms.

1,000 year old egg (not really 1,000 years old but called that. DO NOT google it before trying it)
duck skin
turtle
goat

I don't think I'm as adventurous an eater as some of you, but I did eat crickets and ants at summer camp one year. (I remember the ants tasting lemony and the crickets just being crunchy.) I probably would not try them again, unless I *had* to.

1,000 year old egg (not really 1,000 years old but called that. DO NOT google it before trying it)
duck skin
turtle
goat

Buddy of mine had a Chinese roommate in college who would eat those eggs on special occasions. Blech!

Funny, I never really saw kangaroo in the US, but it is super common in Asian buffets in our area (Germany) now---DS19 really likes it; am neutral to it. I prefer chicken or rabbit.

I am not adventurous eating. When I was an exchange student to Spain I ate everything served to me (my host grandmother made a dish with brains in it--not sure from what animal, and octopus with suckers on them--ugh)---but I have not felt obligated to do so since.
DH is in China on business right now and we were on WhatsApp earlier---he is probably going back for two weeks next spring and then I will go along---he was sending me photos of meals in Changchung and telling me I better pack lots of granola bars when I go!

For me, it would be sushi. Not only weird, but nasty, nasty, nasty. Just the thought of it makes me queasy. Never again.

Double for me - never ever plan to try that! :sick:
But some people away from home area do think we're a little strange for loving boiled crawfish/crabs!! Yum! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter