Welcome Home stay at the Poly...what we shouldn't miss!

princessophiali

Mouseketeer
First of all, a great big thank you! I spent hours researching Disborads and watching the DVC Show before we bought, and I can't say thank you enough for all the information I learned from y'all. We ended up buying at Riviera and when I went to book our welcome home stay, there were no availabilities, so I went with my dream resort, the Poly, Jan. 26-31st. I have stayed there one other time for 2 nights, but that has been a while ago. I'd like to hear from you all about what we shouldn't miss at the resort. :) I don't want to miss anything!

First of all, a great big thank you! I spent hours researching Disborads and watching the DVC Show before we bought, and I can't say thank you enough for all the information I learned from y'all. We ended up buying at Riviera and when I went to book our welcome home stay, there were no availabilities, so I went with my dream resort, the Poly, Jan. 26-31st. I have stayed there one other time for 2 nights, but that has been a while ago. I'd like to hear from you all about what we shouldn't miss at the resort. :) I don't want to miss anything!
I stay at poly often. LOVE IT!

Simple things:

Boat from poly to MK /MK to poly.

Dole whip!

The foods are good, Traders outdoor is fun evening time or inside if prefer.

Strolling and enjoying the music piped with tiki lights on.

Visiting GF! The band and piano times are listed on wdw website under GF. I didn’t care about it when I was younger but now I really enjoy popping to gf to see the lobby/hear music.

Dd loves the Tonga toast ! Gat at ccs or room service if don’t have a res.

Of course HEA EWP from the beach is the #1 must do! So nice to see then head to room or bar lol.

Trader Sam's Grog Grotto (which opens at 4 I think) - usually have to wait to get in, but that would be on my list.

I would also go sit on Trader Sam's Tiki Terrace later in the day, have a cocktail and listen to the Ukulele player - this is usually on my must do list every trip even if not staying at the Poly.

The wings and bread pudding from Ohana at Tambu Lounge are an excellent choice for a nice healthy meal.

The Grounds at the poly are probably my favorite.

Lots of fantastic recommendations already. Here are three more:
  1. Make time to shower. The shower is delightful.
  2. Make some time to stroll around the grounds, especially at night. This is really easy in January as there's plenty of darkness! The tiki torch-lit pathways can be genuinely serene. If you're a night owl, a midnight walk around the beautiful grounds will be the single calmest thing you do on your entire trip.
  3. In addition to the beach outside of the Lava Pool, there's a wonderful grass bluff for viewing HEA at the end of a pathway that heads toward the middle of the bungalows. There is a bit of pavement and a couple of benches, but my wife, girls, and I found that grassy bluff to be our favorite viewing spot outside of the castle hub. You can even see it on the map on the WDW website. We'll likely be there the night of the 27th, so you'd have some competition for your spot that evening!

I love the ambiance at the Poly. There's a weird mix of energy from MK and all its transportation as well as a relaxing vibe around the grounds.

You can watch the MK fireworks from the main pool or the beach. While the hub of the MK is the best place to see them, there's something special about watching them from your resort and without having to deal with the post-fireworks park exit and all the crowds.

The Oasis pool is smaller and calmer than the main pool, but it's a salt water pool. It feels great. The slide at the main pool is really fun, even as an adult - it twists and turns in the pitch black! It's like the Space Mountain of pool slides.

I enjoy sitting on the balcony at any time of day and just relaxing.

2 things we love about Poly...

1. Swinging into Captain Cooks for a quick Tonga Toast breakfast on the way to MK.
2. Watching the Electrical Water Pageant/Fireworks on the beach.

I recommend that you order the Polynesian Twilight Feast from the Room Service menu. It is $40 per person, but very worth it. I'm not sure if you need to order it for Two or more. But if you order for two people, they easily bring enough food for FIVE people. So, if there are two of you and you are able to order for just one, then you should have enough food for both of you. Essentially, they bring you a good, large, sampling of the food from Ohana, delivered right to your room. Here is what the online menu says about it.

Polynesian Twilight Feast – Experience a complete in-room dining adventure for the entire family. You will enjoy the same delicacies featured in the ‘Ohana’s dining room. A selection of guests’ favorites including Spiced Chicken Wings, Asian-style Pot Stickers, Yakisoba Noodles, Stir-fried Vegetables, and our special ‘Ohana Sunset Punch; followed with our skewered meats and oak-grilled shrimp seasoned and cooked to perfection. Then we top it all off with our famous Bread Pudding which finishes this magnificent feast.

Give it a try.

When people think of restaurants at the Poly, it's usually in the Great Ceremonial House. We had a meal at the outdoor grill by the Oasis Pool and it was great! I loved the salads there! It's my go-to if I want something lighter during my stay.

We usually request an upper floor (3rd floor) but the ground floor has the advantage that you can open your sliding glass door and walk right out onto the grass.

If you plan to use the TTC (Ticket and Transportation Center) then I would request Moorea. Or Pago Pago on the north side overlooking the Commons area. Both of these are significantly closer to the TTC if you are going to take the Ferry to Magic Kingdom or the Monorail to Epcot. The TTC also has the Express Monorail to Magic Kingdom.

BUT, Moorea also is closer to the very loud FERRY HORN at TTC, which bothers some people. I found it much less bothersome at Tokelau. Also, Moorea and Pago Pago are farther from the Great Ceremonial House where the RESORT Monorail to Grand Floridian and Magic Kingdom is located. And they are farther away from the main pool.

Pago Pago has two view. The Parking Lot View and the view of the Commons area. If you want Pago Pago, or Moorea, request a view of the Commons Area.

I like Tokelau a lot. On the east side it looks onto the same commons area as Moorea and Pago Pago. Tokelau, Moorea and Pago Pago form 3 sides of a triangle. On the west side of Tokelau, it looks out over the secondary pool, the Oasis pool (which is a mixed saltwater pool, but pretty decent and it has a Hamburger bar). Tokelau is, of course, also closer to the Central Cermonial House and the Lava Pool (the main pool) and it has an excellent view of the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the 3rd floor deck on the north side of the building (Bring Bug Spray. They are out at night.)

I usually request 3rd floor at Tokealu and leave it at that.

Lots of fantastic recommendations already. Here are three more:
  1. Make time to shower. The shower is delightful.
  2. Make some time to stroll around the grounds, especially at night. This is really easy in January as there's plenty of darkness! The tiki torch-lit pathways can be genuinely serene. If you're a night owl, a midnight walk around the beautiful grounds will be the single calmest thing you do on your entire trip.
  3. In addition to the beach outside of the Lava Pool, there's a wonderful grass bluff for viewing HEA at the end of a pathway that heads toward the middle of the bungalows. There is a bit of pavement and a couple of benches, but my wife, girls, and I found that grassy bluff to be our favorite viewing spot outside of the castle hub. You can even see it on the map on the WDW website. We'll likely be there the night of the 27th, so you'd have some competition for your spot that evening!
Thanks for the tip for HEA! And a little friendly competition makes it all the more fun lol

I recommend that you order the Polynesian Twilight Feast from the Room Service menu. It is $40 per person, but very worth it. I'm not sure if you need to order it for Two or more. But if you order for two people, they easily bring enough food for FIVE people. So, if there are two of you and you are able to order for just one, then you should have enough food for both of you. Essentially, they bring you a good, large, sampling of the food from Ohana, delivered right to your room. Here is what the online menu says about it.

Polynesian Twilight Feast – Experience a complete in-room dining adventure for the entire family. You will enjoy the same delicacies featured in the ‘Ohana’s dining room. A selection of guests’ favorites including Spiced Chicken Wings, Asian-style Pot Stickers, Yakisoba Noodles, Stir-fried Vegetables, and our special ‘Ohana Sunset Punch; followed with our skewered meats and oak-grilled shrimp seasoned and cooked to perfection. Then we top it all off with our famous Bread Pudding which finishes this magnificent feast.

Give it a try.
Is this included in Dining plan? I’d love to try this!

Drinking a lapu lapu, ideally while sitting on your balcony and watching fireworks (if you have a lake view). Taking the walkway to the Grand Floridian for a leisurely stroll. Grabbing some sushi from the Kona cafe. I second the twilight feast and Trader Sam’s. And Tonga toast, definitely Tonga toast.

The Twilight Feast is $60, not $40. But it's still a lot of food and easily enough for 2 people. The bread pudding does NOT come with ice cream, so if that's a big deal, you'll need to get that separately.

Also note, that as with any room service at Disney, there's a service charge added, and the gratuity is also included on the bill. But the bill also has the standard blank line that says "Tip", so it appears at first glance that the tip has not been added. Be careful that in the excitement of the moment you don't double tip.

Steve

I doubt the Twilight Feast is included in the Dining Plan, because it comes through Room Service. But I don't know. We occasionally get the dining plan, but not usually.

Room service has always been available on the dining plan,
Per the DisneyFoodBlog faq:
Can use the Disney Dining Plan for Room Service?

Yes. In-room dining (room service) is available at Disney’s deluxe resorts. Each in-room dining meal consists of one non-alcoholic beverage, an appetizer (at lunch and dinner), an entree, and a dessert. Two adult table service meals credits will be deducted from your party’s account for each in-room dining meal.

Even better, it sounds like another Dis’er did it and (1) twilight feast is still only (2) credits, which is great since it may be enough food for 2:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/ohana-twilight-feast-dining-plan.3762567/

I stay at poly often. LOVE IT!

Simple things:

Boat from poly to MK /MK to poly.

Dole whip!

The foods are good, Traders outdoor is fun evening time or inside if prefer.

Strolling and enjoying the music piped with tiki lights on.

Visiting GF! The band and piano times are listed on wdw website under GF. I didn’t care about it when I was younger but now I really enjoy popping to gf to see the lobby/hear music.

Dd loves the Tonga toast ! Gat at ccs or room service if don’t have a res.

Of course HEA EWP from the beach is the #1 must do! So nice to see then head to room or bar lol.
this summed up my entire list of reasons to buy DVC when I was in research mode. well done!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter