Well, Ding dangit. I broke my toe! Scootering around the parks?

Hisgirl

DIS Veteran
We're leaving in two weeks and I somehow have broken a toe. It hurts like all git-out and I'm wearing a boot/shoe thing and the doctor says I have to use a scooter in Disney. Walking on my foot is 100% out of the question as the pain is breath-taking. Hobbling on that shoe thing is out of the question so a scooter is it.

How is that going to work with weaving lines in and out? Do I drive the scooter through the line? Surely they don't bring me up to the front. How would that be fair? How does this work?

It's no fun at all. Especially with the buses. And especially the dirty looks you get because you're holding everyone up while you get on. I had to use an ECV one trip due to an injury. Most the lines you just drive through instead of walk like normal. Some things like shows the CMs put you where you need to be. Youll find more info on the disabilities board. Good luck! Pack your patience!

They have it all figured out. . .everything has a system for people on scooters and in wheelchairs and they are super organized! My mom was in a chair and almost all of the lines are accessible. The shows/parades all have designated areas. We haven't been to MK in 2 years but at that time there were maybe a few lines that weren't accessible. Small World was one I remember so they gave us a come back ticket for at a certain time.

We're leaving in two weeks and I somehow have broken a toe. It hurts like all git-out and I'm wearing a boot/shoe thing and the doctor says I have to use a scooter in Disney. Walking on my foot is 100% out of the question as the pain is breath-taking. Hobbling on that shoe thing is out of the question so a scooter is it.

How is that going to work with weaving lines in and out? Do I drive the scooter through the line? Surely they don't bring me up to the front. How would that be fair? How does this work?
Most lines at Disney you can take your ECV in the few they will have a wheelchair for you. You can take the ECV to the ride or close to it and walk the last few steps. You might want a Cain to help with the few steps if need be

What about the walker thing where you have one foot on the ground and then with the foot that's broken you rest your knee on a pad and wheel yourself around.
I have no idea what it's called.

Have you tried taping your toes together? When I broke a toe, I taped it to the closest toes next to it. Then, I carefully stuffed it in a shoe with the ties all loosen up. I was able to walk all day in New Orleans like that. I know that’s not the same amount of walking as in Disney, but it might help.

What about the walker thing where you have one foot on the ground and then with the foot that's broken you rest your knee on a pad and wheel yourself around.

Knee walkers are great for day to day, but no way would I recommend one for Disney. Too much uneven pavement, very tiring, and the “walking” leg and hip would very likely become achy after one day.

I would rent a scooter from offsite and enjoy!

I would not get this for Disney just think of kneeling all day and you will understand why I said do not get one at Disney

Have you tried taping your toes together? When I broke a toe, I taped it to the closest toes next to it. Then, I carefully stuffed it in a shoe with the ties all loosen up. I was able to walk all day in New Orleans like that. I know that’s not the same amount of walking as in Disney, but it might help.
I've seen so many of these at Disney that I couldn't count them.

If the OP doesn't want to bother with a scooter, this might be just the ticket.

As a scooter user, using one can be a pain. There is no zipping around, weaving in and out or rushing about, while using a scooter.

I've done Disney with a broken foot and a walking boot. My orthopedist would have laughed if I'd asked about using a scooter instead of walking. I took along a lot of Motrin for the trip and just took everything at a slower pace.

I've done Disney with a broken foot and a walking boot. My orthopedist would have laughed if I'd asked about using a scooter instead of walking. I took along a lot of Motrin for the trip and just took everything at a slower pace.

That's great for you, but her doctor instructed her to use a scooter. No two injuries or patients are the same.

I've seen so many of these at Disney that I couldn't count them.

If the OP doesn't want to bother with a scooter, this might be just the ticket.

As a scooter user, using one can be a pain. There is no zipping around, weaving in and out or rushing about, while using a scooter.

Her doctor has told her to use a scooter; she didn't say she didn't want to bother with one, she asked about how it would work for lines, etc.

You use a scooter, yet this is the second thread where you seem to be discouraging someone else from using one.

Using a scooter is really no big deal. Yes - even on the buses. I have my own ECV and totally know how to use it, but the bus drivers always insist on giving me detailed instructions how to load. I have never had a single “dirty look”.

If your doctor says you need one then pay attention to what he says. It’s just a tool to make your trip easier.

The majority of lines at Disney are “ mainstreamed” meaning they are W/C ECV accessible. That said you need to be able to drive a scooter in confined spaces with tight turns.
On the first trip I used a scooter I was exhausted. You need to concentrate intensely. Folks dart in front of you, stop short in front of you, walk into you. I was glad I had been many times before since I was not able to experience my surroundings at all
I broke one toe on each foot last Spring ( long story). Taped I was able to walk - but not the distances at Disney.
Good Luck

I might try the tape after I've worn this boot a couple of weeks just to see how it feels. Now, if my middle toe even touches the ground, the pain is intense. It makes my blood pressure go up. Hopefully it will improve greatly over the course of two weeks and I can re-evaluate then.

I might try the tape after I've worn this boot a couple of weeks just to see how it feels. Now, if my middle toe even touches the ground, the pain is intense. It makes my blood pressure go up. Hopefully it will improve greatly over the course of two weeks and I can re-evaluate then.

I understand. When I broke mine, I couldn’t believe how much it hurt or how much pressure we actually put on our little piggies. I hope taping works for you and if not I hope you find something that helps.

I broke a toe a couple weeks before a work trip out of town. The walking boot was very helpful, as it let me get around, but it has its limitations.

Will you be flying ? If so, some tips for wearing a walking boot:

- seriously consider requesting wheelchair assistance from the airline; I did and with one of the airports I had to navigate it was so huge and so far from gate to gate doing it without the wheelchair would have been a Very Bad Idea.

- if your boot has air bladders in it: THEY WILL INFLATE MORE AS ALTITUDE INCREASES. So, this one I discovered the hard way, not thinking about it beforehand. Air expands as the plane gains altitude. Air trapped in those bladders has nowhere to go unless the bladder breaks. We were still in the climb up when my foot and lower leg suddenly were in great and rapidly increase pain from the air bladder suddenly expanding [keep in mind it was already inflated to the "proper" level before getting on the plane]. It took a moment to realize "physics!" and I had to scrambled in the cramped seating to bend down, find the valve, and let all the air out. I then waited until we were at cruising altitude to inflate it again. Once we landed, it needed inflating once more to get to the proper "ground level" inflation level. For the return flights I: preboard the plane [you will take longer getting on the plane and settled]; keep it inflated until you are seated on the plane, then deflate it [but keep foot in the boot]. Once at cruising altitude inflate it. Once back on the ground, inflate it a bit more as the air bladder will have shrunk.

As for using an ECV at WDW. Consider renting from an outside vendor -- this lets you have the ECV at your hotel as well, and for going to and from the parks; it is also cheaper, and you know you will have a scooter [the parks sometimes run out during the day].

Driving it takes a bit of getting used to: keep it on the slowest speed you can/need [think turtles]. Although I have rented one several times now, once I pick it up I always do a bit of riding around my resort to get used to using it again.

For buses, if you are uncomfortable boarding it with the ECV, tell the bus driver. The first time I had to do it, I explained to the driver it was my first time using an ECV and I have never loaded on a bus before. He talked me through it, patiently and very nicely.

For attractions, you can take the ECV through most lines, as others have noted. If you don't want to go through the line with it you can park it nearby and walk through - but note that some lines are pretty long due to switchbacks, even if at first glance it doesn't appear too bad.

SW

Some people say that using a ECV exhausts them. I personally do not find that to be true at all. I find using an ECV to be so liberating.

I can successfully navigate through the most crowded areas on my ECV as I go very slow and just go with the flow. I am not trying not to go in rabbit mode.

having had to use an ECV many times for different reasons, it is doable if you set your mined to it. yes ECV goes thru the lines at most rides plan on asking at each ride the CM at beginning of line how they are handled at each as it is different at some rides. there are a few rides where you have to change to a wheelchair which they have at those rides. there are a couple one being the People Mover that neither ECV or wheelchair able to use. if using Disney transportation esp buses ask driver for help and most are will to help you but you will need to drive it on but driver will help park it. getting up to monorail can be tricky as ramps are steep and line moves slow. easy once you get to platform but there are some stops where you have to back off and yes there are special ramps into the cars of monorail you will be place in certain cars so you can use the ramps. one last thing you might try a cane for help getting on and off rides with moving walkways. some walkways can be slowed down but others can not. last thing rent from an offsite rental so you can have at resort beside park plus it is usually cheaper. if you have any other questions ask and I will try to answer for you. and no you will not be moved to front of lines at WDW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter