Well, one of the things I was excited to eat at Woody's Lunch Box is gone...

The two best Monte Cristos I've ever had in order (and you may laugh): Bennigan's, and Blue Bayou. We have a local gastro pub that does one, but it's awful.

I want my my ham, turkey and swiss dropped in batter, and deep fried with raspberry jam. Not served on french toast. Or with mustard!!!

The two best Monte Cristos I've ever had in order (and you may laugh): Bennigan's, and Blue Bayou. We have a local gastro pub that does one, but it's awful.

I want my my ham, turkey and swiss dropped in batter, and deep fried with raspberry jam. Not served on french toast. Or with mustard!!!
Oh man, I LOVED Bennigan's Monte Cristo! All of our Bennigan's have closed though :( , We also have a pretty decent one at The Cooker.

I wanted to try it until I found out that it had mustard on it. I hate mustard, and have never had a Monte Cristo with mustard. All the ones I have had were just the meat and cheese on bread, batter dipped and deep fried with the berry compote on the side.

hmm, I feel like every time I have had it there was some spread on it - usually like an aoili or something, so did some googling.

The first recipe I found stated: "Spread bread with mayonnaise and mustard"

Also, looks like there is no real agreed upon way of doing a Monte Cristo and it varies a lot by region. The way they do it at Disneyland seems to be consistent with how they do it in the south, which make sense given it is in New Orleans Square. So one could argue Toy Story Land was just going for a different, but acceptable, version. I don't believe there is an official location given for where Toy Story is located though there is some snow seen so safe to assume not the south. The internet seems to think either Michigan or Ohio - so would make sense why Andy would think it wouldn't be the Southern version of the sandwich

From Wikipedia:
"In most regions, the sandwich is savory rather than sweet. Traditionally, it is dipped in its entirety in egg batter and pan fried, though it may also be deep fried.[4] Regional variations[1][5] may include sliced turkey. In some areas of the US it is served grilled; in others, it is an open sandwich with only the bread battered and the assembled sandwich heated slightly under a grill or broiler.[1] In the southern US, some restaurants serve a variation that is batter-dipped and deep-fried.[citation needed] The Monte Cristo is sometimes covered in powdered sugar and served with preserves.

We had breakfast at WoLu last week, and DH, who is a huge fan on Monte Cristos, wanted to order one for breakfast. No go; only later in the day. For a lot of Americans unfamiliar with the sandwich (which is a LOT of people), it sounds like breakfast food. (French toast, jam, etc.) They probably would have had better success with offering it as a breakfast item.

BTW, we ate the grilled turkey sandwiches for breakfast, and the bread they came on was horrendous. It was some odd kind of white bread that had very large holes in it, and was so utterly flavorless that it reminded me of styrofoam. It actually cut my mouth because the crust was so stale and hard.

I am not sure what they were thinking on this one. Its all outdoor seating and although we so wanted to eat there during our vacation, the heat and rain kept us away--many others commenting the same. The breakfast options were just weird too--I don't want a turkey sandwich for breakfast. This is one they are going to need to rethink--and its not the Monte Cristo keeping folks out:-).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!