My Journey to 50 miles (2nd attempt)... (comments welcome)

Just remember, very short in duration. Controlled, and not a sprint. And a gradual increase/decrease in pace, nothing sudden.

I think I got it! At least I'm going to give it my best shot!

I'll be out of town for this run, so I've scoped out a path along the river in Leavenworth WA. Might have to take my phone and get some pics. This could be a pretty scenic run for me!

Also, I took the plunge and signed up for Dopey today. Even though I'm not an AP or DVC holder, I was able to go into my account and sign up!

I'm super excited/nervous about this! I've got a long way to go to get there! But, lucky for me I've got great support!!

Weekend update: Had a great overnighter with DW in Leavenworth WA. Such a neat little town! Definitely a tourist trap, but still a great little getaway! IMG_20190412_160341.jpg IMG_20190413_070130.jpg IMG_20190413_071851.jpg

Got up and did my run Saturday morning. This run would have to be graded a D-. I was running in Leavenworth along an unfamiliar trail. I didn't do well at keeping my pace consistent and had a massive hangover from maybe one or two too many bourbons. Run should have be at EB of 11:59 with strides. The only reason I didn't give myself an F on this run was that I was able to do my strides! This was a first for me, and it's been a looooong time since I've tried to run at speed. I feel I was pretty successful with the speeding up, holding it and then slowing back down to pace.

Fitbit stats
Total time 36:24
Total distance 3.02
Avg pace 12:04
Avg HR 146
mile 1- 11:42
mile 2- 12:51
mile 3- 11:37

5 sets of strides in final mile. Was a little sore from them on Sunday.

I think Sunday's run was far better! Made it back home late Saturday night, got a good nights sleep and didn't have any drinks...

Fitbit stats
Total time 58:47
Total distance 5.02 miles
Avg pace 11:42
Avg HR 160
mile 1- 11:40
mile 2- 11:33
mile 3- 11:38
mile 4- 11:49
mile 5- 11:53

This run was supposed to be at my LR pace of 11:40. A little easier to get this done on familiar territory and without a pounding head....
Note to self: No heavy drinking when there is running to do....

Overall a great weekend! I needed a getaway after working every day for the last month!
Also managed to install our new dishwasher Sunday after my run. It is soooooo much more quiet!! I had to open it to make sure it was actually working! Anyone want to buy a noisy 2 yr old dishwasher?

Beautiful pictures! And good for you for getting your run in after too many bourbons. :D

Those pictures are gorgeous.

It's a neat little Bavarian themed town. If you are ever in the Seattle area, it's a must see. The drive over is thru the Cascade mountains and worth the trip by itself. One word of caution, Seattle traffic suck diddly ucks and it can be a slow trip sometimes.

Tuesdays run

Fitbit stats
Total time 33:25
Total distance 2.51 miles
mile 1- 13:09
mile 2- 13:19
.51 miles- 13:30

Tough time getting myself out of bed this morning. But after a few minutes of internal debate, I decided to get up and get moving! I was a little slow on my paces but it was my EA run. Felt good to get out and get going. Something VERY unusual this morning. I actually saw another human out at 3:20!! I think it was a woman carrying a flashlight. But, she was half a block away and I couldn't tell for sure. Interesting though... usually I only see 3 or 4 cars and NO people! Guess I'm not the only crazy person up that early.

Note: just in case it continues. Last night I woke up with my left knee aching. First time this has happened and just wanted to put it here just in case it's an ongoing thing I can tell the doc. I'll give it a week or so and see how it feels.

I should title this run "Dragging Sullivan". For some reason my furry running buddy didn't want to keep up on one of the faster intervals. After I thought about it awhile, it seems as though he doesn't like to run in the street. He kept up on all the sidewalks, but lagged behind and I kept having to motivate him to keep up while we were running in the street. Normally, I don't run on the street. But, this particular area is a new home construction area and some of the sidewalks are covered with construction stuff. I'll see how he does next time.

1 mi @ WU + 4 x 0.5 mile @ T w/ 1 min RI @ WU + 1 mi @ CD
, this is what this mornings run was supposed to be.

1 mi @ WU + 5 x 0.5 mile @ T w/ 1 min RI @ WU + 1 mi @ CD,
this is what I ended up doing.

Apparently, I either like running an extra half mile, or I can't count at 3:30am. Either way I ended up doing an extra half mile.
@DopeyBadger Billy, does this screw anything up for the rest of the week? Also, do you know of an accurate way of monitoring your pace during an interval? I can see it on my Fitbit but, I know the pace is not super accurate in real time.

splits 4_18_19.PNG pace 4_18_19.PNG

Since I was running half mile intervals, I'm not really sure how to determine how close I was to my "T" pace of 9:52. I know that my splits/mile aren't going to be accurate to determine this because of the RI.

Overall, I felt really good! Even with the extra half interval.

@DopeyBadger Billy, does this screw anything up for the rest of the week? Also, do you know of an accurate way of monitoring your pace during an interval? I can see it on my Fitbit but, I know the pace is not super accurate in real time.

No worries, nothing is screwed up. This was an easy week easing into everything. So a little extra hard is fine. Not something you want to make a habit of, but you'll be fine.

Unfortunately, it looks like the FitBit Ionic does not have lap pace functionality which is quite surprising. So you can see the average pace of the entire run, or the instant pace, but not the average pace of the current lap. So I'd imagine that will make things a tad more difficult, but certainly not impossible. I'd suggest hitting the lap buttons on your Ionic at the beginning/end of each interval. This should create laps on Strava which then make reviewing the data post-run easier. During the run, you'll just have to rely on instant pace, which isn't all that great. But don't micro adjust based on it. Just see what is about 1/2 way through an interval and then just slightly go faster/slower based on what you see. I'd venture to guess you'll be in the general ballpark, but not super on it with this method. Then evaluate data post run.

The goal pace was 9:52. The intervals seem around 10:30, 10:30, 9:40, 9:20 and 9:20. So maybe a touch slow to start and too fast to end. At a 1/2 mile of T, you should be doing around 5 min of running with 1 min rest. So if you wanted to change to a time based system instead, that might help some as well with these intervals.

No worries, nothing is screwed up. This was an easy week easing into everything. So a little extra hard is fine. Not something you want to make a habit of, but you'll be fine.

Unfortunately, it looks like the FitBit Ionic does not have lap pace functionality which is quite surprising. So you can see the average pace of the entire run, or the instant pace, but not the average pace of the current lap. So I'd imagine that will make things a tad more difficult, but certainly not impossible. I'd suggest hitting the lap buttons on your Ionic at the beginning/end of each interval. This should create laps on Strava which then make reviewing the data post-run easier. During the run, you'll just have to rely on instant pace, which isn't all that great. But don't micro adjust based on it. Just see what is about 1/2 way through an interval and then just slightly go faster/slower based on what you see. I'd venture to guess you'll be in the general ballpark, but not super on it with this method. Then evaluate data post run.

The goal pace was 9:52. The intervals seem around 10:30, 10:30, 9:40, 9:20 and 9:20. So maybe a touch slow to start and too fast to end. At a 1/2 mile of T, you should be doing around 5 min of running with 1 min rest. So if you wanted to change to a time based system instead, that might help some as well with these intervals.

Thanks Coach!! I think I figured out the lap thing on the Ionic, so I won't ask an embarrassing question like how do I do it! I'll give it a shot next time and report back. :thumbsup2

Saturday run:

Fitbit stats
Total time 34:53
Total distance 3.01 miles
Avg pace 11:35
Avg HR 148
mile 1- 11:39
mile 2- 11:29
mile 3- 11:35

This was supposed to be 3 m @ EB (11:59) + strides. Two takeaways from this run. I LOVE strides!! and I really need to work on my pacing. I'm still a little too fast/slow on EA, EB and LRs as you'll see in the next summary. My pacing is still a work in progress I guess.

Sunday run:

Fitbit stats
Total time 47:48
Total distance 4.02 miles
Avg pace 11:54
Avg HR 142
mile 1- 11:17
mile 2- 11:53
mile 3- 12:22
mile 4- 12:04

Supposed to be 4 miles @ Long Run (11:40) again. Pacing is all over the board. This is something I really need to concentrate on.

Tuesdays run turned out to be an afternoon run in the rain! I just couldn't get up at 3am to get it done. Plus side is I got an extra hour of sleep, minus side is that it wasn't raining at 3am. All in all it wasn't a bad evening for a run. My DW wanted to run down to a local antique store and it just happened to be about the same distance as I needed. So I ran down while she shopped. Worked out just about perfect! Scared the crud out of her when I opened the car door and she didn't see me coming!! :teeth:

Fitbit stats
Total time 37:41
Total distance 3.01 miles
Avg HR 145
Avg pace 12:31
mile 1- 12:13 way too fast
mile 2- 12:44 closer
mile 3- 12:36 still too fast
This was supposed to be EA @ 12:51 for 3 miles. I'm still a work in progress on consistent pacing. Might need to attach a metronome to my head at some point!!

Thursdays run 1 mi @ WU + 3 x 0.75 mile @ T w/ 2 min RI @ WU + 0.5 mi @ CD. Weather was a bit breezy tonight but the temp was perfect for a run!

Fitbit stats
Total time 46:09
Total distance 4.11
Avg pace 11:14
Avg HR 154

4_25_18.PNG

Billy @DopeyBadger I was able to use the lap button to record the intervals!! Ignore lap 5 I pushed the lap button prematurely, so 4 and 6 are actually combined! WU/CD times weren't too bad but I still need work on keeping my T pace a little closer to 9:52. Also, I need to slow down a little more on my RI. I think I may need to find a flatter piece of ground to run these on until I get a better feel for the pace.

I'm not sure what is in bloom right now, but whatever it is has my sinuses all jacked up. My nose has been running non stop for 3 days. If this keeps up I may have to go see what I'm allergic to, weird thing is that I've never had any allergies!!

Billy @DopeyBadger I was able to use the lap button to record the intervals!! Ignore lap 5 I pushed the lap button prematurely, so 4 and 6 are actually combined! WU/CD times weren't too bad but I still need work on keeping my T pace a little closer to 9:52. Also, I need to slow down a little more on my RI. I think I may need to find a flatter piece of ground to run these on until I get a better feel for the pace.

Congrats! Be wary though. LT pace is one of those that with a shorter duration, it's a pace where you could conceivably finish the workout at a faster pace. But the gains intended will be made around that scheduled pace. So still some work to do to try and slow down that T pace interval. Great work!

Saturday was a great day for a run! Temps in the low 50's a little overcast and had a few sprinkles (not the candy kind) while I was out.
I'm still very much a work in progress when it comes to running my paces. I'm really trying to be more consistent...

Tonight will be my longest run ever. I'm going to run a portion of the path that is in my upcoming half marathon.

4_27_19.PNG

I'm narrowing the spread around my intended pace. But I still have a ways to go before I'm where I need to be.

Edit: @DopeyBadger Billy, tonight is supposed to be a nutrition run. I'm sure I'm not going to need a lot for this, but I'm thinking about 45 min in, I will have a serving of cliff bloks. I'll be carrying water for the first time. Any recommendations on whether or not to include tailwind in the water? I'm not really sure I'll need both tailwind and bloks. Guess I'm just looking for some advice on what to take? Thanks!!

Last edited:
Edit: @DopeyBadger Billy, tonight is supposed to be a nutrition run. I'm sure I'm not going to need a lot for this, but I'm thinking about 45 min in, I will have a serving of cliff bloks. I'll be carrying water for the first time. Any recommendations on whether or not to include tailwind in the water? I'm not really sure I'll need both tailwind and bloks. Guess I'm just looking for some advice on what to take? Thanks!!

Darn edits! Just an FYI, if you edit a post to include a tag, it doesn't notify the person it occurred. So just seeing this now. Remember that most carbs are 2g carb to 1 oz water for absorption purposes. So if you consume blocks and drink Tailwind, you've got to make sure you're leaving enough "water" to absorb the carbs appropriately. This is doable on a non-premixed solution like Tailwind, but not something pre-made like a Gatorade on course (which is already 2:1 and isotonic).

What you choose to do in training is up to you. This is your time to experiment and find what you can tolerate. Because more than anything in a HM or less distance, that's what matters. Once you move to a marathon, then things change as the nutrition needs go up and are more critical to a successful race day.

I'm with you. Running paces is so hard? I can never get it just right.

Give it time. You're only a few short weeks in. It can take weeks, months, or years to really start to hone the craft of pacing. It'll come.

Darn edits! Just an FYI, if you edit a post to include a tag, it doesn't notify the person it occurred. So just seeing this now. Remember that most carbs are 2g carb to 1 oz water for absorption purposes. So if you consume blocks and drink Tailwind, you've got to make sure you're leaving enough "water" to absorb the carbs appropriately. This is doable on a non-premixed solution like Tailwind, but not something pre-made like a Gatorade on course (which is already 2:1 and isotonic).

What you choose to do in training is up to you. This is your time to experiment and find what you can tolerate. Because more than anything in a HM or less distance, that's what matters. Once you move to a marathon, then things change as the nutrition needs go up and are more critical to a successful race day.

Noted about the Edits... Thanks! So I had one serving of clif bloks at about 45 min. I'm guessing I didn't really drink enough water after the fuel. clif blok.PNG

Looks like I needed to drink about 12oz of water for absorption. I only had a few sips of water after that and then a little more water every mile.

@DopeyBadger is there an absorption rate window to drink the water? The reason I ask is because I'm not sure I can physically put 12 oz of water in my stomach in a short period of time. I might be better off to have one piece of blok and 4oz of water every few minutes rather than try to consume 3 pieces and 12 oz of water in a short time.

Whoop whoop!!! Last night was my longest run to date!! I'm happy to say I covered the 7 miles and didn't die. I could definitely feel the longer distance at the end of the run. But, I'm still up and moving today with a minimal amount of fatigue in my legs.

4_28_19.PNG

I still suck at pacing. But I try to get it right every time. I would say that 2 out of 7 I did okay on. The rest need work. I'll get there..... I hope.

This path is part of my upcoming half. It was really flat and we actually saw an otter when we crossed over the bike/pedestrian bridge. Apparently, if you continue around the point(to the right of the map) for the rest of the half, there is a massive hill in there somewhere.

I try to view the absorption rate as the time between the last carb dose and the next one. So if you eat 24 g carb, you better drink 12 oz water before the next dose. If you eat 8 g carb, be sure to drink 4 oz water before the next. The issue if you don't is the body starts to pull water from the rest of the body in order to absorb what is in the stomach. Primarily stealing precious water from the muscles and excenutating dehydration. But I'd say within 15-20 min is perfectly fine. I guess it depends on how much of a bolus dose you take, because 70g sitting in the stomach may not sit around well for long without sufficient water.

The max carb absorption rate is around 90g per hour.

I try to view the absorption rate as the time between the last carb dose and the next one. So if you eat 24 g carb, you better drink 12 oz water before the next dose. If you eat 8 g carb, be sure to drink 4 oz water before the next. The issue if you don't is the body starts to pull water from the rest of the body in order to absorb what is in the stomach. Primarily stealing precious water from the muscles and excenutating dehydration. But I'd say within 15-20 min is perfectly fine. I guess it depends on how much of a bolus dose you take, because 70g sitting in the stomach may not sit around well for long without sufficient water.

The max carb absorption rate is around 90g per hour.

Perfect! Thank you! I can eat my bloks and then just make sure I get 12 oz of water in before the next snack!

Last edited:
Tuesday morning, brisk morning for a run! 36 and clear. This really is my favorite time of day to run! Peaceful....
4_30_19.PNG

Overall, my avg pace is perfect for an EA run... but my splits have a bit to be desired. I'm confident that I will eventually narrow these splits down. For now, I guess I'm just where I am. Felt good to get out and get this run in. I needed a nice slow run after Sunday's long run. I think Sully is finally getting used to the slower pacing. He didn't pull or lag at all this morning. Now I just gotta figure out how to contain his pre-run excitement in the morning. I'm afraid he's going to wake the entire house with his anticipation...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter