My Journey to 50 miles (2nd attempt)... (comments welcome)

Friday and I'm finally getting around to updating. Work has been crazy. Tis' the season for maintenance headaches! The turkey day shutdowns went well. No major issues found. Now we move on to the Christmas shutdowns. Production is off between Christmas eve and NY day. That means maintenance is usually busy! We are trying to schedule at least 5 more major shutdowns which means tons of meetings and headaches.

On to running.

Tuesday went well, nice relaxing run. No issues that I can remember.
12_3_19.PNG

Wednesday run. Seemed like it was harder than it should have been. Still felt good.
12_4_19.PNG
Thursday run. Wow! I was feeling this run when it was over! Hips, thighs, calves and back were all very tired! I really needed to stretch but I didn't have time. I took my oldest grandson out for teriyaki and new basketball shoes! He just started playing and is loving bball!! We've been looking for a sport that he likes, so hopefully this is the one for now!!
12_5_19.PNG

Even though this run was taxing I was really happy with the outcome! Had to run the 1/2 mile hill twice during this run, both times at HM pace. Wasn't easy to maintain pace up that hill, but I think I managed pretty well. Looking forward to the EA run tonight.
Slept like a log last night. Pretty sure I didn't move once my head hit the pillow.

Even though this run was taxing I was really happy with the outcome! Had to run the 1/2 mile hill twice during this run, both times at HM pace. Wasn't easy to maintain pace up that hill, but I think I managed pretty well.

Just remember it's not really expected that you would maintain pace up the hill. Keep the effort the same and let the pace slow down some. This will keep everything physiologically even and not create an unwanted deficit.

Just remember it's not really expected that you would maintain pace up the hill. Keep the effort the same and let the pace slow down some. This will keep everything physiologically even and not create an unwanted deficit.
Thanks for the reminder Coach. I have a nasty habit of attacking that and all hills. My GAP for that hill was in the low 8 min range. There's no doubt why I felt it so much. I'm aware of my problem with pushing hard up hills. Just can't seem to break myself of the habit. Another work in progress.

Got called in to work to help racking in a breaker. So that took all of 10 min and now I'm taking advantage of being here to give a half weekend update.

Friday was a nice easy EA run. No problems. Kind of got a late ish start after running my grandson to an audition workshop. He swears he's going to be a famous actor someday! Weather was cool but nice. Probably my favorite type of weather to run in.

12_6_19.PNG

Pacing was decent and I tried to allow myself to run the hill a little slower to maintain the effort.

Saturday's run. This run was WET and I'm not sure my focus was completely on running as I was wondering why the breaker wouldn't rack in while I was running. All in all it felt good and I had plenty of time to troubleshoot things in my head. Probably could have been fixed with a phone call if I had the right people on the plant at the time, or maybe I need to do a better job at explaining how things work before I turn it over to someone that hasn't done the job as often. I'll take the hit for lack of training.

For the last few days I've had a knot in my lower back, kind of above my left hip. It seems to be working itself out, but every once in awhile it will give me a little hitch in my giddy up. Almost felt like I was going down a couple of times. I've had this in the past, it's usually from over doing something. But I've spent so much time in meetings lately I don't have any idea what I did this time. Stretching helps, so I'll keep doing that.

12_7_19.PNG

Pacing was decent. I feel pretty good. Ready for tomorrow's 12 miles!!

Sunday's long run. I'm not sure why, but I always seem to doubt my abilities when it comes to the long runs. I thought to myself there was no way I was feeling up to this come Sunday afternoon. I had timed my eating badly and didn't have room for all my Muarten before I started. Managed to get about 2/3 in and that seemed to tide me over until I had my Tailwind at 45 min. I found a section of the Centennial trail that I thought would be relatively flat for this run. This turned out to be a good choice. I hadn't run this section before, but it had a restroom at the start and then another sanican at about 5 miles. This came in handy on the way back. The only issue with this section of trail is that it starts out in town and I ended up having to wait for the crossing signal at one street both going and coming back. Not a big deal and I enjoyed the brief wait for the crosswalk signal.

I'm pretty dang happy with the pacing!! The long run pace is really comfortable for me. I feel like once I get in that groove I can go forever! As Dopey starts to creep up, I'm starting to think more about how I want to survive the races. I know that I'll get some input from Coach, but I'm considering making my LR pace my goal for all races. Except the 5k, which I'll probably end up walking most of with DW, DD and friend.

I stretched before and after this run. Fell pretty good today. No major aches or pains. I've added some additional stretching for my hamstrings as it's been a little tight the last few days. Overall I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about my chances with Dopey!!

12_8_19.PNG

Only about 125 miles left on the training plan!! Whoop whoop!! I may survive this after all!!!

@DopeyBadger Billy, after your reminder about effort uphill, I'm trying to be more mindful of the hills. I noticed that on Strava, my GAP and AVG Pace were very similar. 10:43 vs 10:45. This run wasn't particularly hilly, it's an old railroad grade so there are some long drawn out hills. But if GAP and AVG Pace are similar, is that a good thing?

But if GAP and AVG Pace are similar, is that a good thing?

It's not inherently good or bad. The difference in GAP merely tells a story of how hilly a course was. The hillier the course, the more difference there is in average pace and average GAP. Where the usefulness of GAP lies is in the splits. Here's your 12.5 mile run:

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 2.56.07 PM.png

When using GAP we want to see roughly even splits to equate to what we believe to be roughly even effort. Clearly there is an error in the first mile (-404) based on the graph. This run was 9.5 miles at LR (10:58) + 2.5 miles at M Tempo (10:04). So I look down the GAP line for pacing in and around 10:58. Mile 2, 3, and 7 were probably a tad too fast per GAP. Mile 8 was probably a tad too slow. The miles at M Tempo seem right about on target.

When you have a relatively flat run, then there won't be much difference between actual pace and grade adjusted pace. When a run is super hilly, then it's best not to shoot for an even actual pace because that's very likely not an even effort/GAP. Thankfully at Disney this won't be much of an issue since it's pretty flat (there are a few moments, but they're small).

Tuesday run

Tried to wait out the weather tonight, but I had to finally cave in and go run. I'm dogsitting for a couple days so I took my old furry running buddy with me. Sully did great! But boy you could tell he was beat after 4.5 miles! I don't think he's been on a run since we moved into our own place. It was pouring down rain when I set out and finally started to ease up around mile 4. I really don't mind running in a warmish rain. But I really really despise wet feet..... Oh well, that's running in the PNW.

Run itself was good. Nice EA run. Paces were decent. Going to be another lateish night run for me as I have to pick up my DD & DGS from the airport and then fight Seattle traffic to get home. They are on their way back from Snowball Express. This year they met Chef Robert Irvine!!! They both said he was very nice! Bodie also met Ethan Wacker again. He was super excited to see him again!

12_10_19.PNG

UGH... no run last night. After the kids flight was delayed 45 min and 2.5 hours to go 66 miles from SeaTac to home I walked in the door at 7:48. And since my alarm goes off at 3:35 am and Friday was supposed to be an off day, I decided to push everything one day. I'll run tonight and Friday instead. Hopefully this is the last time I have to make changes to my plan. I'm getting too close to chance screwing anything up. PS.... Seattle traffic sucks!!

Thursday run that should have been Wednesday run.12_12_19.PNG

I really liked this run. Paces felt good but it looks like I was a little slow during my first 1 min interval. Tis ok I think. Weather was halfway decent. Rain let up just as I was heading out.

Potential bad news. My right big toe feels like I might be getting an ingrown toenail. I'm really just hoping its sore for some reason. I'll give it till Monday and then maybe have to go have it yarded out. Probably better to deal with it quickly and take a few days off than to put it off and miss out on the races..... ugh... don't really need this now!

Friday run. I got a new pair of Glycerin's Monday and I've been waiting for a dry day to give them a test run. Last night their maiden voyage proved a success. No issues, felt great!

Life and work continue to be trying. Well, mostly work. This will be my 3rd weekend in a row and I've been asked to work next Sunday. I may have to turn that Sunday down as I have 13 miles to do that day. We'll see. Also, what was supposed to be our Christmas break is shaping up to be Christmas day off for me. There is a lot of work going on and I need to be here to support it. Good thing that's a recovery week!!

Running has definitely been a savior from stress for me over the last few months. I really enjoy the hour or so I get to be away from everything. No phone, email.. etc... I still don't have any race plans or goals after Dopey yet. But, I'm sure that I'll continue to run or something else to get away.

Run itself was nice. Still working on paces and effort. Great evening for a run! Upper 40's and mostly clear. Awesome sunset over the Sound and I really like running through the neighborhoods with all the Christmas lights on!

12_13_19.PNG

Right big toe is still iffy, but feels slightly better than Thursday. Still monitoring the situation.

Saturday run.

WET. And Sunday's run will probably be WET also. Guess this is the downside to running up here. Many many great evenings to run lately, but a couple miserable ones and I just want to move someplace the sun shines all year round!

I'm guessing the training is finally starting to take a little toll on me. Woke up this morning stiff and sore. Nothing terrible, stretching helped and once I get moving here at work I'll be good. Could be worse, no major injuries. Really just making a note of being stiff. Also, feeling a little tight in the hamstrings. Might need a little extra stretching prior to tonight's run.

The run felt nice and easy like an EB run probably should. First run of strides was difficult. I was really tight when I started to speed up and didn't really feel like I could just run. Second run was better and the rest were pretty good too. Paces were decent.

12_14_19.PNG

Should we be getting the runDisney email soon? I'm so stinking anxious!

LOL, if you're lucky. The emails are so hit or miss. Thankfully, if you just keep your eye on the Marathon Weekend thread you'll probably know more than the email would help you.

We won't get an email with corral assignment and stuff? Dang. I was hoping I'd find out where I was going to be before the weekend.

Sunday run.

I thoroughly enjoyed this run. My paces were for the most part a little fast. I ran my normal loop backwards, so I ended up running the 1/2 mile downhill and then gaining elevation pretty much the entire rest of the loop. Not sure if I like it any better. I almost prefer to just get all the elevation gain out of the way and then coast on a gradual downhill the rest of the way. Definitely felt it this morning. Feel better after stretching and a cup of coffee!

This is my big week coming up. 41+ miles.... I'm looking forward to seeing how tired I am by next Monday.

12_15_19.PNG

We won't get an email with corral assignment and stuff? Dang. I was hoping I'd find out where I was going to be before the weekend.

You will see all of it in the Marathon Weekend thread. I'm guessing sometime this week you'll know your corral assignment for the HM and M. It's just that the runDisney emails tend to be hit or miss, but that doesn't mean we won't know the information.

You will see all of it in the Marathon Weekend thread. I'm guessing sometime this week you'll know your corral assignment for the HM and M. It's just that the runDisney emails tend to be hit or miss, but that doesn't mean we won't know the information.
Funny that we'll get more info on the message board! Now I'm super happy that I found disboards!! :-)

Just going to vent for a moment. I just got off the phone with Disney customer service and it appears that I can't make FP's for my wife for the rest of our visit. She is an AP holder and can only have 7 days worth of FP's at any one time. I am getting a 10 day PH so I was making FP's for our group as they became available. Now I can only make them for two of us and hope to add DW after she uses her first days passes. UGH... this is frustrating. Seems like she's getting penalized for having an AP.

Tuesday run.

Sometimes I think my Garmin needs a break. For some reason it seemed wonky at the beginning of the run and at the end it told me I had just set a PR for my fastest mile. Anyway, the run was good. Nice and easy. Got two rounds of stretching in, really need to try and do better getting my post run stretches in. Feel pretty good this morning, no major pains, other than work.

12_17_19.PNG

EDIT: Maybe I'm being super sensitive or paranoid. But everyone around me seems to have the sniffles or a sick kid at home. I've got too much invested physically, mentally and financially to get some sort of sickness at this point. Would it be inappropriate to lock myself in my house except for my runs!?!? Stop going to work, stop seeing the grandkids.... maybe a mask would help...

Last edited:
EDIT: Maybe I'm being super sensitive or paranoid. But everyone around me seems to have the sniffles or a sick kid at home. I've got too much invested physically, mentally and financially to get some sort of sickness at this point. Would it be inappropriate to lock myself in my house except for my runs!?!? Stop going to work, stop seeing the grandkids.... maybe a mask would help...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!