'We're all mad here' Trip Report, 17-21 Feb '15, Adagio Aparthotel

Day 3

Today was Studios day! We were at the gates before 9:30am and there were plenty of people ahead of us. My Mam headed for Ratatouille to queue for FPs initially. There was huge crowds heading towards the Rat area and she didn't know which queue to in but eventually she found the FP queue.

The rest of us went into Toy Story Playland and waited at the entrance of the Parachutes for it to open. It opened shortly after 10 and we got on the first ride of the day. DS hates this in the last trip but was happy to go on it this time. Once he was on it though he remembered he didn't like it! Oops!

After that we went to find Mam at Ratatouille. The area is so pretty, I loved it! My Mam was very impressed with the toilets and any time anyone wanted to go to the toilet all day she suggested going back there! :-D
The Ratatouille queues hadn't moved (an hour at this stage) so Mam went to ask a CM what was happening. The ride was closed and they didn't know when it would open. :-( I completely understand that rides break down unexpectedly and need to be fixed, but I can't understand how the CMs let people queue without telling them the situation. Only that Mam asked, she could have been left queuing longer. We were fairly disappointed and a bit annoyed.

After a stop off at Scream Academy, we decided to get some other FPs instead so I got 3 for Tower of Terror and 4 for Rock n' Rollercoaster. There was a short queue for Flying Carpets so we went on that. The carpet I was on wouldn't go up and down so when the ride was over I told the CM and had another turn on a different carpet. The carpet I had been on then worked with other people in it but a different one didn't! Very strange!

Cinemagique was on in 10 mins so we went in to see that. I wasn't sure what the kids would make of it as I hadn't seen it before. They loved it, as did the adults! Very clever and funny. It was over at 12pm, so just in time for Stars n Cars.

I really didn't like the circle format for this. It was a bit chaotic, with lots of pushing and shoving. The kids really wanted to meet Remy but couldn't get near him. They did get to meet Emile, but I was getting a bit stressed at this stage.

I brought DS1 into the disabled area just as the characters were changing over. It was much calmer in there and we had a stroke of luck as Stitch came over. He was great fun and was joking around with Jafar. DS1 had his Stitch hat on and got great attention from him. He was thrilled. We even got a selfie.
My sister, mam and the rest of the kids met Woody & Jessie.

It was time to use the TOT FPs so I brought my nieces on it. DN2 hadn't stopped talking about it since she had seen it in the distance the day before! I wasn't sure if she would like it but she LOVED it! Little daredevil! DN2 wasn't so keen!
Meanwhile, mam brought the two boys to the disabled area of Stars n Cars and my sister went for a wander. The boys met Woody & Jessie again, Donald and Dale.
I was going to bring the girls on RnR but we didn't have enough time as we had a lunch reservation for Bistro Chez Remy.

Chez Remy, what can I say, it was fabulous! The theming is amazeballs! We had a lovely waiter (forget his name!) and the food was really tasty. The adults had the Emile menu and the kids had the little chef menu. Everything was eaten! The kids' desserts had their names written on the plates which was a nice touch. The adults had a lovely wine called Gris Blanc which was very reasonable at €20.99. When we were leaving (after about 2.5 hours!), I gave our waiter a tip, and afterwards I found out that my mam had too! Great minds! :-D

Unfortunately the Ratatouille ride was still closed. We did a bit of shopping in Chez Marianne which is a cute little shop. I got some lovely Alice in Wonderland bits and my niece got a Remy teddy who then had to come on all the rides with us!

We caught the last showing of the day of Animagique. I was looking forward to this one and it didn't disappoint. We sat in the front row. It's a fun show. When we came out, we had a stroke of luck - Stitch Live! was just about to start in English. Me and the boys love this and I knew that the girls would too. DN2 got picked out at the start and Stitch asked her her name, age, where she was from and if she had a boyfriend! Then DS2 got picked out for having the best monkey face! I think it was because he had his Stitch hat on. Along with meeting Stitch earlier in the day, this was a real nightlight of the trip for us. He was absolutely delighted.

Next up was Slinky Dog. Short queue. The park seemed to be emptying. DS2 was braver than the last trip and really enjoyed Slinky! We checked on Ratatouille again but it was still closed. There was no queue for Cars Rally so we had a go on that. It was faster than I remembered!

A bit more shopping in Studio One where DS1 got a Stitch teddy and we picked up some postcards. Then it was on to the Lego store. We didn't stay long as we wanted to catch the 19:55 bus but the kids would happily have stayed for hours! Once back at the apartment we all had a bit of supper and were in bed early enough. We wanted to get the first bus in in the morning.

Following along. I love Inventions, great food, magical character interaction.
I'm still not sure if we will watch Dreams. I think it will depend on the weather and if boys will show any interest.

Two terrible realizations this evening! I had a mistake in the title of this thread! and I forgot to finish my TR! I have it all typed up but need to add in photos. Better get cracking!

Day 4

This was our rainy day! We had a few things we wanted to get done today so we were ready to go for the first bus at 8:47am. I had ponchos from previous trips (including a yellow one from 2005 that is much better quality than the ones they sell now) but my sister had none so she bought some at a stall just outside the entrance to the park.
We weren't sure if Ratatouille would be open today but were keen to get on it if it was. We went into the main park and then Mam took all our Tickets to go get FPs for it.
Once in the park, we went on Peter Pan. It had a fairly long queue but it moved quickly as there was no one in the FP queue. We all called Hook a codfish whenever we saw him - the boys love doing this. Also, they always like to think of themselves as John and Michael, and DS1 was delighted now that he has glasses just like John!

Next up was Big Thunder Mountain. We got there just after 10 and while we were queuing we got a text from Mam to say she got FPs for the Rat! Yay! We went on BTM and all enjoyed it, apart from DS2 who was a bit unsure! We got a great photo but had a bit of trouble having it put on the photopass card. I forgot to mention in the previous day's report that we got the wrong photo for TOT on our card. :-( I asked at BTM if there was any way of getting the right one and they said that they are deleted every day.

My poor nieces feet were wet already. Some plastic bags inside their boots helped for a while but they did have to change their socks again later.

Our Rat FPs were for 10:50am so we headed over to the studios. My Mam met us at the gates. She had enjoyed a nice peaceful cuppa while waiting for us. :) There was a queue outside the FP queue for Ratatouille but it moved quickly and we were on the ride in about 15mins. While queueing I noticed that there were more FPs available for 5pm and no queue so I ran over and got some more! I was delighted! what can I say about Ratatouille the Ride? AMAZEBALLS! it exceeded my expectations. I had seen a video on YouTube but you really have to go on it to appreciate it properly. It's so so clever, very modern and different to all the other rides in the two parks. Just brilliant. We all loved it.

Mam brought the kids to Art of Animation while my sister and I went to The Hep Cat to get some hot drinks to warm up. We had donuts too which were very nice.

We went back to the main park and did a little bit of shopping in the Seven Dwarves shop in Fantasyland. I had spotted some Prince Philip Armour Costumes earlier and wanted to get one for DS1 for our lunch at Auberge De Cendrillion. He ADORES Sleeping Beauty and quite fancies himself as the dragon-slaying Prince Philip. :-D The costumes has a picture of Maleficent's Dragon on the front and came with a sword so he was thrilled with it. I ended up getting one for DS2 aswell and I'm glad I did as they really looked the part! They weren't cheap but the AP discount helped a bit. ;-)

We had lunch booked in Auberge at 1:30 so went over and got the kids changed in the toilets ready to meet the princesses. By the time we came out, our table was ready. I couldn't believe our luck when we were led to a table right in front of the fireplace, beside the little dance floor where the princesses dance! I got some great photos and videos.

We saw Suzy, Snow White, Cinderella, Prince Charming, Ariel and Perla. They were all most impressed with my two Knights! I asked Ariel if I could take a selfie with her and she said 'shellfish?' Quick thinking! :-D I love the way they're so in character. The kids were delighted to get their autographs and we got some lovely photos. We stayed about 2.5 hours!

We noticed that the wine we had the previous day in Chez Remy was on the menu so we got that again. (Gris Blanc, €20.99). The kids had a choice of starter, even though it wasn't on the menu - Parma ham or smoked salmon. I had the roast vegetables which were delicious. I had the 'chef's special' for mains; I'm not quite sure what it was but it was very nice! :-D Adults and children had a choice of desserts too, again not mentioned on the menu. Apple tart or icecream for kids and apple tart or cinderella's slipper for adults. I had Cinderella's Slipper, which was a white chocolate slipper filled with raspberry mousse and a mini creme brûlée. It was divine! I had my Mam's one too as she wasn't feeling well.... and unfortunately for her she ended up getting sick on the floor at the table! It came upon her quite suddenly and God love her she was mortified. Sorry to anyone else who was dining nearby! The CMs were very good, got her a glass of water, offered to get first aid for her and cleaned up without any fuss. It was a pity that mam didn't get to enjoy the meal properly as it was our most expensive one! She went back to the apartment for the remainder of the day to rest. Thankfully she was ok then and didn't get sick again.

The rest of us went back out in the rain and headed for Pirates of the Caribbean. We got a great photo here too. My sister said it was her favourite ride so far!

We were going to do another ride but then we remembered we had the Ratatouille FPs so back to the studios we went. Our second ride was just as good as our first! Loved it just as much, if not more!

The kids wanted to go back to Art of Animation (it's a great spot on a rainy day!), so I took DS1 on Crush's Coaster using his Easy Access card. We went in the exit and only waited a few minutes before getting on. This ride is great fun! I love the theming.
We had had enough of the rain at this stage but didn't want to go back to the apartment yet so I suggested Cafe Fantasia at the DLH. What a lovely place to escape the bad weather! We hat hot chocolates and crepes. The hot chocs came as a mug of hot milk with a chocolate stick to stir into it. The kids loved this. The crepes were yummy but not as nice as the waffles that are now gone. :-( It was an expensive snack (€6.10 for each hot Choc, €8.50 for 3 crepes - and no AP discount) but worth it to get out of the rain and relax for a while.
We kept saying how nice it would be to stay there instead of having to go and get a bus!!! Maybe next time!!!

After a brief stop in the DLH shop, we went to get the 19:55 bus. We got to the stop at 19:53 only to see the bus pulling off. :-( We were right at the taxi rank so we got a taxi instead. It cost €11.50 (€8.50 cheaper than it cost two days before!).
Back at the apartment we took off our outer layers and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the boys & I were dry underneath. My sister and the girls, however, were quite wet. We hoped for a dry day the next day but the forecast wasn't good!
I planned on doing all my packing but was too tired. The morning would have to do!

Last edited:

Nice photos. Thanks for the tip not to forget to pack our ponchos!

Fab TR and fab photos!!!!! Don't forget to give us your last day! The apartment sounds brilliant! Would you go there again? Or is the journey in and back too much hassle?

C x

The apartment was brilliant. Really well equipped and right beside Val D'E for shops, restaurants etc.
It was the bus service that put me off. It's not frequent enough, especially for coming back from the parks. And the train station is just a bit too far of a walk.
With kids I'd rather be onsite. it wouldn't bother me so much for an adult-only trip.

Last day coming later this evening! Have some fab photos for that one too. :-)

thanks for the TR dhidra, looks like you all had a great time, the boys look great in their knight costumes :-) looking forward to reading more, it's getting me really excited for our trip :-)

Thanks everyone for reading along so far!

Day 5 - Hometime :-(

We were all too tired to pack the night before, so we did it this morning instead. We still managed to get out by 10am so not too bad. We got a taxi to the parks as we had too much stuff to manage on the bus! The hotel receptionist called one for us and it was €20.

We put all our bags into bag storage just outside the studios. You can store 3 bags per Dream AP so it cost us nothing.

We headed for the main park and saw that the Disneyland Railroad was at the Main St station. We raced up the stairs but we missed it. What I didn't realize is that there's more than one train and they come quite frequently. We thought we'd be waiting for ages so we went to Frontierland instead to go on the Riverboat. It was a lovely morning for it. Rain had been forecast but it was dry so far. We had a nice time seeing all the sights around Big Thunder Mountain.

We went back to Main Street again to go on the railroad. We didn't make it on to the first train that we saw but another one came along fairly quickly. Again it was nice to ride and see the the surroundings. We stayed on the train as far as Discoveryland and then got off.

At this point we decided to split up so that there was a better chance of everyone getting another go of their favourite ride. Mam went for tea, the boys and I stayed in Discoveryland and my sister and the girls went to Fantasyland. We got some FPs for star tours and then went on Buzz. It was starting to rain at this stage so after the ride we stayed in the shop for a while and did some last minute shopping. The time passed quickly and soon it was time for Star Tours. The boys really loved this - it's the new favourite. They still haven't seen any Star Wars movies yet though! :-D

We had just enough time to fit in one more ride before meeting the others for lunch. I gave the boys a choice - Peter Pan or Princess Pavillion. The princesses won! The queue was 90mins long, as I expected it to be. I knew that there was no way DS1 (or DS2!) would be able for that, which is why we had avoided it so far. So we used DS1's Easy Access Pass and only had to queue for a few minutes. We also got to choose which princess we wanted to meet - Rapunzel or Aurora. Either would have been brilliant but DS1 has a mild obsession with Aurora so that's who we saw! He was beyond thrilled. She was so lovely to the two boys and we got some gorgeous photos. We hadn't made much use of the Photopass but it was worthwhile having it just for this M&G. I bought a framed photo aswell, I was so happy with them. We came out of the Pavillion beaming from ear to ear. I asked DS1 if he liked it and he said 'no, I didn't like it, I LOVED it!'. One of those really special moments that won't be forgotten <3

Ignore the state of me in that photo!!!

A quick stop in the candy shop on Main St. for some pick n mix and I finally found the mug I wanted to get for DH! We met the rest of the crew then and we headed off for lunch.
My sister and the girls had been busy too. They did IASW, Teacups and Pinnochio (I had forgotten that that was reopening today).

We walked towards the village, with no concrete plans, but then went into Annette's as it was the closest! We had a really nice meal there. I had the Tex Mex salad, which wasn't really a salad but nonetheless very tasty! And a cookie dough sundae for dessert. We all ate well as we knew we had a long journey before we made it home.

I made a very quick stop in World of Disney for my very last minute purchases! I got some lovely jewelry for myself. We went to get our bags from bag storage and then all of a sudden it stated raining hailstones! Big massive ones. It was a bit stressful getting everything together and over to the taxi rank but we made it and our driver from Ezyshuttle was waiting for us.

The airport was a bit stressful too and we barely had time to go to the toilet even though we were there a full two hours before the flight. We got through just in time and once on the plane all was well, despite the fact that our trip was over. :-(

All of us keep talking about the 'next time' as we now have APs. No plans as yet but watch this space!!!

Fantastic photos with Aurora. Great trip and great TR.

I've just finished reading all. It looks like you all had a fantastic time :thumbsup2 The photos of Auberge and the PP are lovely :love:

Have they stopped the Mickey waffles in Cafe Fantasia now completely? In October they told me that the waffle machine was broken and that's why they were serving crepes instead....I had hoped they'd have it fixed by now :sad2:

Thanks for sharing your lovely trip - your boys are adorable :lovestruc

I've just finished reading all. It looks like you all had a fantastic time :thumbsup2 The photos of Auberge and the PP are lovely :love:

Have they stopped the Mickey waffles in Cafe Fantasia now completely? In October they told me that the waffle machine was broken and that's why they were serving crepes instead....I had hoped they'd have it fixed by now :sad2:

Thanks for sharing your lovely trip - your boys are adorable :lovestruc
There was no mention of the waffles on the menu :-(

Oooohh, I LOVE all the character pics, especially with Stitch and the Stitch hat and the boys in their knight costumes. Too cute! I also love that they chose the princesses over Peter Pan-- they're just too cute and I love that they had such a great time :goodvibes

Bummer about the weather (some of my best Disney memories involve ponchos, however!) and the issues with Ratatouille though.. it seems like they really need to get that whole queue/ride situation figured out, because right now it's truly a headache. And your poor mam! I can only imagine... being sick on vacation is just the worst. :guilty:

It sounds like it was super great trip for you all! I loved reading about it! pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter