We're all out there chasing our better selves (FredtheDuck chases on)

Great job on that 11-miler! Hopefully all is well with the hamstring and your run tomorrow has it feeling better.

And, look at you, signing up for 3! races this week. Woohoo! Especially that beer festival one. :drinking1

Thanks, @ZellyB! (PS, glad to see you back here a little more : ))

Hamstring did indeed feel better today. I still had a hard time kind of motivating myself to get up and get it done (but I did do it)... I think it's more just because I'm tired and need a day where I can sleep in a little or get to bed early. I'm taking a GSD (get "ish" done) day on Thursday to deal with some stuff at the house, so maybe that'll be my chance.

Tuesday Training Update (Week 13): Week Ending 4/15

This was the plan for the week:
M - 4.5 @ EA
Tu - 5 @ EB
Th - 0.5 @ WU, 4 @ tempo, 0.5 @ CD
F - 5 @ EB + strides
S - 8 @ LR

A bit of a backed off week again. As discussed, I missed my Monday run. This is becoming a theme (I missed yesterday, too), and I'm setting a goal to stop skipping those for the rest of this cycle unless I'm really injured. My Tuesday was fine. On the treadmill, I assume due to weather but I totally can't remember.

My Thursday run was the best run of the week. I had taken the day of as a Get 'ish Done Day. I realized early in the morning that I could run down to my daughter's daycare. Doing so would take me down to the running path I like that goes along the creek and through a lovely, shaded, wooded area. If I timed it right, I could get there right when @MoanasPapa got there with my kiddo, and then drive home with him. It would be the rare opportunity to do a point-to-point. So that's what I did! On my way, I was crossing the street near the daycare and who was in the car that paused to let me cross? @MoanasPapa and our kiddo! So that was a fun burst for the last half tempo mile. Then, as I neared the cool down half mile and cut back up to the street, there the two of them were, out of the car and watching for me. It felt like having a crowd at a race and it was SO nice to see them. My kiddo (she's 2.5 now) tried to run some of the cool down with me, which was the cutest thing in the world. It just made me so happy to see them. The run itself was fine. Tempo felt comfortable. I'm still not convinced that I can do it for 13 instead of 4. But I'll keep plugging away.

Friday's run was slightly tougher because I didn't get out until midday. It was hot here. I wasn't prepared for the heat. It went fine, it just felt like more of a slog than it should have. And I underhydrated.

Saturday was back to good. We had friends from CA in town, so @MoanasPapa was planning to take our kiddo to gymnastics, meaning I could get a later start on my run, which was a nice treat. It was a good, comfortable run. My legs were kind of heavy the first mile, but after that I felt good. My LR pace is really feeling comfortable and sustainable, and I'm feeling pretty good coming off of these runs.

I missed yesterday's EA run because said CA friends were still in town (staying with us) and I had taken the day off to hang around. I should have gotten up at my normal 5:00 AM to get the run in before everyone got up, but I was tired and figured I'd have time after I took them to the airport. I didn't. And that's ok. I just need to pay close attention to scheduling for the rest of the cycle... I want those miles.

Love your Thursday run. How fun to get to run a point-to-point and have your own finish line cheering section!

Aww, I love that they were there cheering you on! Last Saturday I had my husband and DD pick me up at the end of my 7 miler so we could go to breakfast and the first thing my DD says is "YOU SMELL." I mean, duh, but gee thanks kid. Hahahha.

Aww, I love that they were there cheering you on! Last Saturday I had my husband and DD pick me up at the end of my 7 miler so we could go to breakfast and the first thing my DD says is "YOU SMELL." I mean, duh, but gee thanks kid. Hahahha.

HAHAHAHA. Mine likes to say "You all wet, mama." Yes, kiddo, I'm sweaty. I got it. It happens a lot.

Three fun things I didn't really write about yesterday:

I did end up signing up for that 10k (Pike's Peek) that I was debating about. I know the temptation will be to race it or at least to better my time from last year (which wouldn't be hard - it was my first 10k and I went out pretty conservatively). I'm going to set a strict LR pace-band on my Garmin and do my best to stay within it, treating it as a nice, easy LR with a tech shirt and some food at the end. I really like the race and course, and since I'm only set for an 8 miler that day, it should be fine to tack a couple of miles on to the beginning and then do the race as my LR.

I got a new car over the weekend! Relevant to the journal ONLY because I had a T-pace interval run yesterday morning and the heated seats in the car were REALLY nice after the hard effort.

Finally, not running related, but Disney related: I'm starting to work on our touring plan for our November trip. We're staying at Swolphin. So far, we're going to do Epcot on our arrival and departure days, a day each at HS and AK, and two days at MK. I'd welcome any suggestions for dining... this is only our second trip down there. I try to get ADRs for dinner where we can because waiting in line with an almost-three year old to eat is not my favorite. We'll have park hoppers this trip, and we tend towards a light breakfast in the room, then lunch and dinner at the parks. So far I'm thinking:

- Tusker House for a character breakfast/brunch on our AK day (kiddo loves the fab five and I hear the food is better here than at other character meals)
- Akershus for the princess breakfast on our departure day (kiddo is also in a big princess phase right now)
- La Hacienda de San Angel for arrival day dinner (she loves Mexican food)

I debated BoG for dinner on one of the MK days because kiddo is really in to B&tB right now, but I feel like Tusker and Akershus is enough in terms of character meal$. Plus we've done BoG, albeit for lunch. I could be convinced otherwise.

We'll have one date night (we had a great experience with Kids Nite Out last time), so a maybe a signature that night? We ate at Monsieur Paul last time and really enjoyed it. DH knows I love Fantasmic! and I think he'd like to go to that on the date night after dinner, so I suppose wherever we go should be a short hop from HS or at HS. I've never even been to HS and we didn't eat at AK, so I know nothing about the food options at either place (except that Tusker has a character breakfast).

Other than Chef Mickey's and Captain Cook's, we haven't eaten at any of the resort restaurants. DH and I are game for just about anything (though I'm allergic to fish), and we can usually find something for our kid on most menus.

What have you had that you loved or that you think an excited three year old will love? Thanks!

- Akershus for the princess breakfast on our departure day (kiddo is also in a big princess phase right now)

We've done Akershus once and Bon Voyage Breakfast (Rapunzel and Ariel) twice. We really like Bon Voyage better because the acoustics of the room are better. It made the interactions with the character much easier to hear and G really enjoyed it. The place we sat at Akershus was tough because the sun was totally in the picture and we could barely hear anything. Akershus is also a buffet vs Bon Voyage being a "choose your meal" style. Food is pretty good on it's own at BV as well. We're doing Bon Voyage a third time in May.

We've done Akershus once and Bon Voyage Breakfast (Rapunzel and Ariel) twice. We really like Bon Voyage better because the acoustics of the room are better. It made the interactions with the character much easier to hear and G really enjoyed it. The place we sat at Akershus was tough because the sun was totally in the picture and we could barely hear anything. Akershus is also a buffet vs Bon Voyage being a "choose your meal" style. Food is pretty good on it's own at BV as well. We're doing Bon Voyage a third time in May.

Totally didn't even have Bon Voyage on the radar. She LOVES Rapunzel but she hasn't gotten in to the Little Mermaid yet. There's still time, though : ) Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out!

The interaction with Flynn Rider is top notch. If you get the same guy we've had before, he does an amazing job interacting with the table. He also has a secret item in his satchel that you'll want to check out.

Hey, Coach @DopeyBadger, quick question: @jennamfeo's QOTD reminded me that I have an indicator that I'm supposed to practice fueling during my progression tomorrow, according to the color coding. I don't usually do anything beyond carry water on runs that short... should I???

edited: my progression is tomorrow, not yesterday. d'oh.

Last edited:
Hey, Coach @DopeyBadger, quick question: @jennamfeo's QOTD reminded me that I have an indicator that I'm supposed to practice fueling during my progression yesterday, according to the color coding. I don't usually do anything beyond carry water on runs that short... should I???

Good catch. It's an error. Only runs over 90-100 minutes which means my original copy and paste of that type of run was from someone who did a Progression over 90 min in duration. Agreed that you wouldn't practice nutrition on that short of a run.

Yay for a new car and especially for heated seats. :)

Love reading about the trip plans. So, for a signature at HS, we really like Brown Derby. We've eaten there twice (once for lunch and once for a Fantasmic dinner package) and had really good meals (and cocktails) both times. I thought the reserve seating for Fantasmic was really good as well, but I don't know that it's crucial to get a good seat there. We're doing a package there again for our summer trip.

We are fans of Crystal Palace breakfast with our kids. It's a decent buffet and we really like Pooh and friends so the character interactions are fun. It's a pretty restaurant too that is bright and airy. But, we have also done Tusker House and the food there is great. I don't love the restaurant itself quite as much (it's a bit dark in my opinion), but it's tough to beat good food and Fab 5.

Yay for a new car and especially for heated seats. :)

Love reading about the trip plans. So, for a signature at HS, we really like Brown Derby. We've eaten there twice (once for lunch and once for a Fantasmic dinner package) and had really good meals (and cocktails) both times. I thought the reserve seating for Fantasmic was really good as well, but I don't know that it's crucial to get a good seat there. We're doing a package there again for our summer trip.

We are fans of Crystal Palace breakfast with our kids. It's a decent buffet and we really like Pooh and friends so the character interactions are fun. It's a pretty restaurant too that is bright and airy. But, we have also done Tusker House and the food there is great. I don't love the restaurant itself quite as much (it's a bit dark in my opinion), but it's tough to beat good food and Fab 5.

Off to google the menu at Brown Derby, that sounds like it could be a great option. Thanks also for the feedback on Crystal Palace. She loves Pooh and Tigger (and I love Eeyore), so I know she'd love it. Maybe a good brunch option on one of our MK days... hmm... decisions... Luckily she won't quite be three yet, so she eats free still.

Race update: I "bit the bullet" and signed up for the St. Michael's half. It ended up being that MCM Historic Half wasn't going to be an option because I have a conflict that Sunday, so StM ended up being the only option. I almost went the "make Coach hate me" route, as I was seriously considering the National Women's Half which is next weekend... I suddenly have a TON of conflicts coming up and the Women's Half is one of my last free weekends until June. I'll write more on that soon. But, it looks like 5/19 will still work, so we get to stick with the plan.

We'll drive down to the shore that Friday night. We're staying in a perfectly serviceable boutique hotel called (creatively) the St. Michael's Inn. It's a mile from the start and it serves breakfast, so wins all around. I'll race Saturday morning, we'll hang out on the shore, and then head back Saturday afternoon.

That's a huge win in my book!

It also has a pool, so my secondary goal for the race was going to be "finish in time to take a dip in the pool and shower before checking out at 11:00," but I realized this race is before Memorial Day so I doubt the pool will be open.

Sounds like you found a good hotel for the race - excellent! I'm excited to see how things go!

Thank you! Despite a skipped run this week, I'm feeling tired. So I signed up and immediately thought "Ugh, half marathons are so exhausting, I'm going to feel like garbage at the end. (And I'm on a plane the next day)." But then I remembered that I'm in cumulative fatigue mode right now and will have a taper week before the race, and I felt a little better. Not so great that I'm super excited about my 10-miler tomorrow or the remaining 11-miler I have before the end of this cycle. But I'm in the home stretch.

Also, 4 out of my 10 miles this weekend are at WU/CD. The hardest pace for me to hit. I'm thinking about bringing my kiddo out for some of those easy miles (in the jogging stroller) just to break things up a little.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!