Were any of you afraid to stay offsite?

If you can, choose a location that is backed by a name brand known for high quality like Marriott or Hilton. 99% of the time you'll have a great experience. We have stayed at many of the timeshare resorts. The one time we didn't go with a name brand (orange lake) it was no where near as nice as the other brand name resorts.

I can relate to so many of you guys!

My first stay as an adult with my husband (we weren't married yet but that's beside the point), we stayed off site at a Residence Inn ($59 a night). We got our tickets as a gift, and the trip was only possible if it was inexpensive. It was the most fun ever! Mostly due to the fact that we were engaged but lived 250 miles apart, so it was the first time in forever that we could spend a whole week together; and it was my husband's first vacation in his life (don't ask, I don't get it either!).

We started staying at the Disney resorts then, and always got great deals through the military or whatever. I was a total snob - would rather not stay off site at all!

Then, we started staying at Marriott timeshares (after buying one), getting mostly deals through II. Our kids are older now, and a hotel room just won't cut it! And two rooms at Disney is outrageous! I love having a washer/dryer, separate bedrooms, a kitchen, a patio, gas grills, etc....

I agree that I would only go with a big brand name, like Marriott, Sheraton, or Hilton if possible. We go with Marriott since it's better to rack up points with one brand.

I'd consider staying at a DVC renting (matter of fact, I'm looking into that next year) but ONLY since it may just be me and my DD. We moved once on a trip from Marriott's Harbor Lake to the Boardwalk Villas, and the villa was SO MUCH smaller at the Boardwalk. I love the location, but the condition of the villa was sad (the bathroom was icky with mold, kitchen was smaller, less eating space, smaller bedroom, it was just not as nice but Christmas so wanted to be onsite).

I am hesitant to rent a house, but know many folks love doing that. I prefer a resort with the amenities and a dining option if needed.

Thanks so much for the responses. Im good with staying offsite in regards to extra room. I definitely think we will like it better than the five of us stuck in a tiny hotel room.

I am a researcher by nature....I research the crap outta things :rotfl2: So I think that is also why I am nervous about picking a location.

The pool isn't as important to me because I don't know if we will have time to do that. We have one so the novelty has worn off. With that being said, my kids will probably prove me wrong :rotfl2:

I have showed them some of the places and to my surprise my younger kids nixed any of the Mickey themed bedrooms. They said "too babyish". So I am targeting homes/condos that maybe have the privacy for all my kids...tv and possibly a game room..although that isn't as important.

I can totally see us coming back from the parks and letting my kids do what they want while my husband and I watch a movie with some cocktails!

I reaaaally like the look of the Reunion condos. I have some from Reunion vacations and two that seem to have good reviews...as long as they aren't fake :) But it also looks so upscale to me that I wonder how kid friendly it truly is . I have heard it's further from Disney but not that big of deal. One has the passes for the water park and the other does not.

Windsor hills wise..I have heard pretty positive things and am pretty sure I would be happy there too. The ones I have found are vrbo and more windsorhillsrents submissions.

Then I did find a couple emerald isle ones. The one is a home from an owner but no reviews. The other is a fabulous looking home but only one review and it isn't current.

I just get nervous that they are not going to be what I had hoped..but I guess a hotel room will be the same.!
We always stay at a home or condo at EI, rented through VRBO. I've never seen a listing that didn't have reviews and I don't think I would stay if no reviews were listed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter