We're Building Our Dream Home

Just following along, too. What did you decide on the laundry room?

As the person who does the laundry, I'd appreciate having it be where I am...on the main floor, especially with the master on the main floor. Otherwise I'd be constantly running up and down the stairs to switch the loads up. That would get old really fast, laundry day around here can be anywhere from 6 to 9 loads. My kids have legs that work, they can bring their dirty clothes down and clean clothes up. One trip for them each way, small price to pay for mom doing their laundry for them.

Have fun! We've built three houses, but none of them have been this custom. I would LOVE that! For now, I will enjoy the process with your family. :goodvibes

We decided to put the main laundry room on the second floor, where all 3 kids bedrooms are. We figure that is where most of the laundry comes from.

However, we also put a small stackable washer/dryer in the mud room off the garage on the first floor. This will be for my wife and my clothes, sheets and towels since our master suite is on the first floor as well. Also, the kids can throw their dirty clothes in if they were playing outside.

I have full drawings now and I will try to post them later today. We hope to get the final price from the builder today or Friday as well. Once we get that, the drawings go to the bank for final approval of the mortgage.

Well, yesterday we FINALLY received the pricing package. We have been delayed due to the birth of a baby in our family, but the builder hasn't exactly been devoting all of his time to our house. His business has become brisk in the past few months and most if not all new clients are building bigger houses than us. Anyway...

After speaking with the builder, Jay, yesterday morning I was concerned and excited. Before sending me the pricing package we spoke about the project. Jay told me about 6 ways that he tried to save us money in the price, but also would sprinkle in how big the house is. So, I wasn't sure what to expect. Did he really like DW and I so much that he was giving us really aggressive pricing? Or were we in for a big disappointment?

Well about 20 minutes after speaking to Jay, the email came over...and it was like a punch in the stomach. The initial price is 24% higher than what we were praying for, and 21% higher than our budget. Ughh.

The problem, besides the obvious $, is we have already fallen in love with this house, lot and neighborhood. So we are meeting tonight to see what can be trimmed (hacked more like it). So the past 12 hours have been rough. Who knows, maybe we can get it to work. But maybe we can't and will have to walk away from this experience disappointed, embarrassed and frustrated. :sad1:

Well, yesterday we FINALLY received the pricing package. We have been delayed due to the birth of a baby in our family, but the builder hasn't exactly been devoting all of his time to our house. His business has become brisk in the past few months and most if not all new clients are building bigger houses than us. Anyway...

After speaking with the builder, Jay, yesterday morning I was concerned and excited. Before sending me the pricing package we spoke about the project. Jay told me about 6 ways that he tried to save us money in the price, but also would sprinkle in how big the house is. So, I wasn't sure what to expect. Did he really like DW and I so much that he was giving us really aggressive pricing? Or were we in for a big disappointment?

Well about 20 minutes after speaking to Jay, the email came over...and it was like a punch in the stomach. The initial price is 24% higher than what we were praying for, and 21% higher than our budget. Ughh.

The problem, besides the obvious $, is we have already fallen in love with this house, lot and neighborhood. So we are meeting tonight to see what can be trimmed (hacked more like it). So the past 12 hours have been rough. Who knows, maybe we can get it to work. But maybe we can't and will have to walk away from this experience disappointed, embarrassed and frustrated. :sad1:

When thinking of ways to trim the budget, think of ways that can be easily upgradable in the future. Things such as fixtures, lighting, carpeting,hardwood. What about a 3 car garage instead of a 4? Price out "regular" windows instead of the arches as well. Those customized windows are significantly more. Good luck.

I agree with the PP...are there things that really were "wishes," but in reality can be trimmed or eliminated? I would get the "bones" of the project in...they're really hard to add later...and let some the upgrades sit until you're in a better financial position. Could you do carpet where you planned on hardwood? Were you planning on doing some high-trim items, like a copper roof on the bump-out bay to the left of the front door? Things like that could easily be scaled back. And as another PP said, everything is negotiable.

Also, remember that you've just added another family member....Congratulations!!! :woohoo: Speaking as a mom of 4 kids who are less that 5 years apart (I'm half Irish :rolleyes1), that's a huge life adjustment. Try not to let the house overwhelm you, your wife, your other children, and the new baby. Christmas is rapidly approaching (assuming you celebrate Christmas)...can you let the house plans just sit and give yourself time to think?

Deep breath....everything will be fine. :goodvibes

I was wondering if the builder purposely high-balled the estimate because your house is the smallest and all his other clients are building larger houses. It makes me wonder if he thinks he can get you to back out and another person to come in an build a larger house and he would make more money. I personally think he'd be foolish to do that in this economy, but the thought did cross my mind.

Hi guys. Thanks for the support. It's been a roller coaster lately. I'm posting this as DW gets some sleep.

We met with Jay on Wednesday and made some progress. We cut the house by 24" left to right and 12" front to back. That seems minor, but it's a savings of about $31,000. Also, we decided to drop the excersize room and craft room in the basement leaving that space unfinished. The basement will still include a family room, bar, walk-in wine closet, guest room with full bath, and kid's play room. However, cutting the square footage and leaving the basement space unfinished will get us significantly closer to a $ we're comfortable with.

Jay has to come down the rest of the way. Do I think he high-balled us? Not really. But I'm sure he didn't give us his best price right away. I'm sure he left room for negotiation. There are still a lot of lots to sell and he wants to extend the street into a cul-de-sac.

Thanks again for your support. :)

Well, I think we're back on track. We have a number DW and I feel comfortable with. We got to this number by Jay dropping the per square foot cost and lowering the appliance package. Still Bosch appliances which I understand are pretty good.

Now we are deciding between two banks. One has a long-standing strong relationship with the builder, and our personal and business bank that wants to get a new construction presence in our part of town.

So thinks are better. The baby is doing fine and we almost have some sort of routine back in our lives. :rolleyes1

Let's see if this works...I'm sorry it's sooo faint, but it's all I can figure out to do technically.

Teklinskiplans.jpg

SideandRearElevations.jpg

FirstFloor.jpg

SecondFloor.jpg

Basement.jpg

I'm glad you were able to work through the money issues! I have a Bosch stove and absolutely LOVE it!!! That being said, something like a Viking or Thermador was totally out of price range for us, but the Bosch offered what I wanted at a very reasonable price. I've had it for 6 or 7 years, and have never had an issue. I cook every day, bake throughout the year, and have many of the major holidays. Good luck with the banks. From what I can see of the plans, it looks like a wonderful home.

Enjoy the new baby!

I wonder what it would be like to have enough money to not have to struggle through the negotiation, banking, and approval process? I'm pretty well drained at this point.

Work has been busy and of course the holidays can be tiring. But on the house front, we have been reading contracts for what seems to be a week. Now that we have finalized our price for lot and construction we have to get all the info to the bank. That includes lot purchase agreement, blue prints, material and spec lists, and of course the builder contract. Sounds easy, but it's been really draining reading and understanding all that is included and not included. Which doors are solid, which aren't? Masonite arches, drywall arches, or barreled ceilings? Where is there brick and where is their stone? It goes on and on. But we're near the end. We will be signing all pertinent documents tomorrow and delivering to the bank on Thursday.

We did get some GREAT news though. Our bank has offered us 4.29% on a jumbo loan. Friends of mine in the mortgage business agree that is a great rate. Even the realtor is genuinely impressed. That will offer us a savings of about $400/month on the payment.

So once we get the documents to the bank on Thursday, closing will be 30-45 days out...then shovel to dirt! Thank goodness. It has been over a year since I first brought this idea to my wife. We have done a lot of investigation, learned a lot and I think made some very wise and well thought out decisions. If all goes well, I think we will have a beautiful house in a fantastic neighborhood on possibly the nicest street in the Pittsburgh area.

Thanks for listening. And Happy New Year to all.

I feel your pain. We built almost a year ago. And went through the design process twice. We just could not get builders to come close to a number we were comfortable with during this economic slow down. And we did not think we were asking for anything too outrageous.

Ultimately what we ended up doing was picking a model home in a subdivision where the floor plan was adaptable. We ended up with a great house with 4 bedrooms, an office and a craft room. The wine room got the ax. But we did get a great big wine fridge!:thumbsup2

You have to be willing to be flexible. It will all work out.

Now - financing from a construction loan to a permanent mortgage. HAH! that was a nightmare.

Congratulations on your beautiful home project!

Hello All,

Well, we closed!!!! What does that mean, well, we closed on the loan from the bank and took ownership of the property. Things will start moving fast now. Trees removed, foundation dug, etc. I think we're over the hump.

I want to share something interesting...the builder gave us a 3-ring binder to keep our stuff organized. In it was a selection timeline. Essentially, who we should work with first. Remember, this is a 100% custom built house. So it's not choose one of 3 fixtures or finishes...choose the one you want out of a never ending selection.

So, here is what's surprising. Who do you think we were instructed to work with first? Brick, stone, plumber? No...appliances! Wow, I would have never guessed. Here is the timeline...
  1. Appliances
  2. Cabinets
  3. Window/Door Exterior Color
  4. Brick
  5. Roof
  6. Tubs and Showers
  7. HVAC
  8. Plumber
  9. Electrical
  10. Security/TV/Phone
  11. Audio
  12. Interior Sound
  13. Paint Colors
  14. Granite
  15. Flooring
  16. Plumbing Fixtures
  17. Lighting
  18. Sprinkler System
  19. Hardwood Floor Stain Color
  20. Staircase Spindle Choice

Well, we have a lot to do. Very exciting. And I'm glad that I might be able to post some photos soon. Thanks again for all of your support. Hope to post soon.

Congrats on closing!

We are currently building and are about 70% complete. We are acting as the general contractor and yes, the choices are endless.

Enjoy the process! My Dh, builder and I have enjoyed working together. We are keeping our eye out for more property to potentially build a spec house to sell together.

Looking forward to some groundbreaking pictures soon!

Congrats on closing!

We are currently building and are about 70% complete. We are acting as the general contractor and yes, the choices are endless.

Enjoy the process! My Dh, builder and I have enjoyed working together. We are keeping our eye out for more property to potentially build a spec house to sell together.

Looking forward to some groundbreaking pictures soon!

Congrats to you as well. There is no way my wife and I could work together in a business. We did work together for a year or so at a restaurant, and it almost destroyed our relationship. My wife ended up quitting it got so bad.

Anyhow, we are underway with the house. They poured the footer yesterday. DW and I also decided on the appliances. The builder package included $7,500 worth of appliances. After we upgraded, the bill was $21,500 :upsidedow.

That includes:
  • 48" Thermador 6 burner/double oven range with griddle
  • 48" side by side Sub Zero fridge/freezer
  • Thermador dishwasher
  • Microwave
  • 2 garbage disposals
  • Exhaust hood
  • Delivery and Install

So far so good. Still our "dream house". Let's hope it doesn't turn into a nightmare. On to the cabinets.

Foundation poured. Basement blocked.

Our meeting with the cabinet company went surprisingly well. DW and I are on the same page when it comes to finish and style. On to choosing brick and stone.

Things are going well. Hope to post pictures soon.

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

Here are some recent photos. Start framing this week.

This is a small builder, only one or two crews. But he is busier that ever. So the speed of our build may not be a fast a a large company. That's OK, because my wife and I are taking our time making every small decision about the house.

Type of doors, heights of doors, transom or not, hinge color, etc.
Window styles, screen color, hardware color, etc.

It has been stressful, but at times fun. Definitely exciting.

Hopefully more interesting photos in the future. Thanks.

When I bought my home 40 years ago, the laundry was in the basement. That was fine then, but now that I'm older, going up and down the stairs is becoming a problem. I can't move it upstairs without a major renovation in the plumbing which is expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter