We're supposedly going on a "slow" week- why are so many resorts showing as sold out?

2019TripIdeas

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip from 1/27 (potentially arrival of 1/26) through 2/3. We were so excited to have a "slower" time of year, but super bummed when we went to book this morning and our preferred resorts are showing fully sold out (POFQ, Yacht Club, Swan, Dolphin) or sold out in many of the categories we'd hope for (Beach Club, Board Walk).

We're feeling pressure to book Port Orleans Riverside because its the only place we feel we can reasonably get "about" what we were wanting. We were willing to pay a bit more for an Epcot Area hotel so I'm bummed by lack of availability.

We're traveling with 2 adults, 3 kids (ages 5,3,2) but our kiddos can sleep in a queen together without bedrails if necessary, so don't think we're too crazy high maintenance- a two queen room would be fine.

Is it normal for resorts to be all booked out on a "slower" week? Am I somehow wrong about this being a slower week? Is there some trick I'm missing?

We are planning a trip from 1/27 (potentially arrival of 1/26) through 2/3. We were so excited to have a "slower" time of year, but super bummed when we went to book this morning and our preferred resorts are showing fully sold out (POFQ, Yacht Club, Swan, Dolphin) or sold out in many of the categories we'd hope for (Beach Club, Board Walk).

We're feeling pressure to book Port Orleans Riverside because its the only place we feel we can reasonably get "about" what we were wanting. We were willing to pay a bit more for an Epcot Area hotel so I'm bummed by lack of availability.

We're traveling with 2 adults, 3 kids (ages 5,3,2) but our kiddos can sleep in a queen together without bedrails if necessary, so don't think we're too crazy high maintenance- a two queen room would be fine.

Is it normal for resorts to be all booked out on a "slower" week? Am I somehow wrong about this being a slower week? Is there some trick I'm missing?

I don't know what is going on either, but check Disney sites that show events etc, and that should give you some idea if it is a marathon, sporting events, cheerleading?
About POR, I wouldn't hesitate to book there. It is an amazing resort. The Alligator BAyou area rooms have a pull down bed plus the queen beds. That might help with your little one. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Resort occupancy is not necessarily an indication of WDW park crowds. Too many other factors/influences involved.

But fundamentally, Disney is very good at making sure its resorts are relatively full 365 days a year. Room rates and discounts in Jan are often attractive relative to other parts of the year, for example.

FYI, 1/26 is the NFL ProBowl in Orlando. While not a major WDW event, there may be some influence to WDW resorts.

It’s also a good conference time of year, which can impact resorts such as YC and Swan/Dolphin.

Keep checking, people change plans all the time.

Good luck.

I'm going mid November. I booked in September. When I booked the only thing that was available for <$1k/night was PORS. I kept looking and just a few days ago a bunch of other stuff opened up.

When I look for the dates I'm going, 1/30-2/2, there is a ton of availability. The only things sold out are a few values and POFQ, but all the rest look to have a decent amount of rooms left. My guess is that the first part of your trip overlaps with something else and a lot of those rooms open up later in your trip. Whenever this has happened I find it easier to do a split stay type of trip, it usually opens up a ton of extra inventory.

Thanks all! We ended up booking Boardwalk once I realized I could get 1K! off on a room offer and we found a standard room offer that matched our dates.

I'm going to keep an eye on POFQ to see if anything opens up, but otherwise I think Boardwalk will work well for us and we're excited.

When I was chatting with the Disney reservations agent, they also said there was a Dance Competition at Wide World of Sports that may've been impacting some of the reservation availability on the front end of the trip.

Thanks all! We ended up booking Boardwalk once I realized I could get 1K! off on a room offer and we found a standard room offer that matched our dates.

I'm going to keep an eye on POFQ to see if anything opens up, but otherwise I think Boardwalk will work well for us and we're excited.

When I was chatting with the Disney reservations agent, they also said there was a Dance Competition at Wide World of Sports that may've been impacting some of the reservation availability on the front end of the trip.

yay! Congratulations on scoring a good discount for your dates!~

Great Choice!!! You will love the BWI. It is in a fabulous location where you can walk to DHS and Epcot - so convenient! Also, the rooms are spacious and comfortable for a family of 5.
We often go in Jan/Feb and while not slow like it once was, we don't usually find it too busy. With FP+ and a little planning, you can still get lots done.

Enjoy your trip!

I'm not sure which categories you are looking for at BC and BWI, but BWI has almost every category available and BC has some availability as well. I would also recommend considering looking at the studios or even 1-bedrooms at BCV and BWV. The studios, in particular, sometimes price out less than the standard rooms at the resort and would give you three sleeping surfaces. We particularly love BCV, the villas are super close to the BC QS, the bus area and the walk to EP is super quick. The 1 bedrooms would offer 1 king, 1 queen pull-out plus a full kitchen and washer/dryer which comes in handy with young kids.

Edited to add: Just saw OP's post on BWI - congrats!

I would also recommend considering looking at the studios or even 1-bedrooms at BCV and BWV. The studios, in particular, sometimes price out less than the standard rooms at the resort and would give you three sleeping surfaces. We particularly love BCV, the villas are super close to the BC QS, the bus area and the walk to EP is super quick. The 1 bedrooms would offer 1 king, 1 queen pull-out plus a full kitchen and washer/dryer which comes in handy with young kids.

Edited to add: Just saw OP's post on BWI - congrats!

I'll totally keep an eye out to see if I can get BWV at a comparable price as we get closer, as yes, for sure it would make it easier to have the kitchenette with the kids. Thanks for advice. We're so excited!

It won't be a slow week. We went the first week of February once and things were packed.

There's a cheer competition that week. Don't forget about the pro bowl and there's also the Superbowl in Miami Feb 2. I don't know-how busy WDW will be, but it's a busy week for Florida.

There's also a Disney Field Hockey Showcase tournament from Jan 31 to Feb 2 at WWOS

Oh wow. Our park days are 1/27-1/31. Should I expect it to be crazy? We literally were hoping we'd found one of the least busy weeks of the year (I know I had at least a few calendars that had placed it as a "4" in a few of the parks.) Is a "4" still in the 'stand in line for hours for rides category?

*Bearing in mind that our kids are young- currently 34", 39" and 43" I think, hoping the big two can gain an inch- so their headliners are really Dumbo/Haunted Mansion/Pirates/etc category. We'll try to fastpass the big stuff as best as we can, since the oldest is a thrill junkie.

I went once during that time and is was awesome. Not too crowded at all. But we got to the parks very early, every day and left around 1 pm. That was key, because after lunch, they were crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter