Western Caribbean- which port to stay on ship?

This was 10-11 years ago and things may be different now...Visited Falmouth and did a Dunns River Falls excursion with some friends when I was 16. Climbing the falls was unique and fun (it's more of an inclined river than waterfall), but leaving the park required going through a maze of very aggressive vendors in thatch huts. One guy ran up to me and started a conversation. He asked if I had any family and then their names. Without thinking I told him my brothers' first names. He runs into his hut, carves their names into small Tiki things, and tell me I have to buy them now. I politely refuse and he gets loud and aggressive....Starts yelling about "respect" and other nonsense. I felt unsafe/uncomfortable and just bought them for $10 or $20 to get away. Walked the rest of the maze staring at the ground and ignoring everyone.

"Respect Mon"

We did Eastern this year and are doing Western next year - I'm leaning towards staying onboard on Grand Cayman day for the simple reason that I'm not a fan of tendering....that's probably a lame excuse and I'm sure my husband will convince me to get off the ship but that's my excuse for the moment :0

IMG_9655.JPG
We did Eastern this year and are doing Western next year - I'm leaning towards staying onboard on Grand Cayman day for the simple reason that I'm not a fan of tendering....that's probably a lame excuse and I'm sure my husband will convince me to get off the ship but that's my excuse for the moment :0

The tender process was fairly painless... and you get some great views of the ship from the tender boat ;)
If you do stay on - the ship was fairly empty until about lunch. 2nd time in GC we got off late.

We would skip Cozumel if we were to do it again. Did the beach break but weren't really impressed and found the vendors to be the pushiest.

Grand Cayman was my fave port. We did the sting rays and they were fantastic. The port was also very nice and felt completely safe.

Falmouth was my husband's fave. He and our son went zip lining. Daughter and I walked around the port. Didn't feel pushed at all to buy things. Thought it was a lovely stop.

In Grand Cayman we did an excursion with Nativeway sports on our own. They were amazing! There were only 6 of us on the boat. We went to stingray city and had a spot to ourselves. The other tour groups showed up with 50+ in their groups and were told where to stand, what to do, etc and we were so thankful to not be in those large groups. We next went to a snorkeling spot where the guide brought up lobsters for us to see. Then to starfish beach. That was the most amazing experience. There were starfish everywhere. The price was also very reasonable and only about $45 for adults, and less for kids. My kids still talk about this excursion. They also really loved Playa Mia in Cozumel. They have a great pool for kids and another area with water slides, as well as the inflatables in the ocean. It is all inclusive, and my kids were spoiled rotten with the servers bringing them fruity drinks all day.

FYI-DS 15 thought the bobsled was a bit scary. He said the safety strap was a leather rope across his waist. He's not really one to be afraid and has no issues on high ropes course rock walls etc.
I would stay On the boat in Jamaica. Cozumel and grand c both have fabulous snorkeling.

We are skipping Falmouth because we have a three year old and she can't do a lot of the excursions. I also am not thrilled with the idea of shuffling three kids through a maze of aggressive vendors and the like.

I am not sure about what we will do at the other ports though. Would love suggestions for little kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!