Westjet seat selection

Griffin11

Mouseketeer
Hello - can anyone share their experiences with seat selection on Westjet? In particular for YYZ - MCO, but I'm sure other routes are similar.

I don't mind paying extra for better seats, but I don't really understand how much I would be paying. The website says $5-$50 which is a pretty big range. Also I understand they will seat families together but do you have any choice (for free) as to where?

I know once I buy tickets I will see the actual costs, but debating whether the fare type that includes one bag and seat selection is worth it. Thanks!

As you go through the booking process you will get to a place to choose seats, it should give you the prices there. Sorry I can't remember how much.

When I flew with my son on WestJet I could have used the free selection, I called in, but they put families at the back of the plane which is not the best place to be for kiddo who gets airsick. So I always pay to get the seats I want. It's just the two of us, not sure if they would put the whole family together or just one parent with kids.

I can't answer about family seating but here's a screenshot of what the actual cost for seats coming back from Orlando are, this is for the economy fare, but NOT the basic level, those are STUPID $$$$. Personally I'd never pay the fare that includes a bag and seat selection up front because again, far too $$$$. I'd rather pay the $30(I think that's the current price ) for one bag between the 2 of us and pick our seats at the 24 hour mark
Screenshot_20200106-101742_WestJet.jpg

Thanks everyone. That screenshot is helpful. My math is complicated a bit because I'll be using companion fares (so if I pay for a better fate type on one ticket I get it for the companion as well for no additional cost).

I think I'll decide based on how many Westjet dollars I have when I book - it's a bit frustrating that you can't use WJ$ for seat selection or baggage fees after booking.

If you have the Westjet cc you get a free bag for each person booked on the same reservation # so you won't pay the $25/bag for the first bag. I've never had a problem seating my family of 3 together when we check in at the 24hr mark.

We're a family of five, so I always chat with them and they put us together in the back section family area all together. Works great :)

Hello - can anyone share their experiences with seat selection on Westjet? In particular for YYZ - MCO, but I'm sure other routes are similar.

I don't mind paying extra for better seats, but I don't really understand how much I would be paying. The website says $5-$50 which is a pretty big range. Also I understand they will seat families together but do you have any choice (for free) as to where?

I know once I buy tickets I will see the actual costs, but debating whether the fare type that includes one bag and seat selection is worth it. Thanks!

We did the advance seat selection for our upcoming March break trip YYZ - MCO. It cost us $40 plus tax one way so $84 round trip each...😬

I can't answer about family seating but here's a screenshot of what the actual cost for seats coming back from Orlando are, this is for the economy fare, but NOT the basic level, those are STUPID $$$$. Personally I'd never pay the fare that includes a bag and seat selection up front because again, far too $$$$. I'd rather pay the $30(I think that's the current price ) for one bag between the 2 of us and pick our seats at the 24 hour mark
View attachment 463100
That's what we do too. as long as one of of sits with the kid, it doesn't matter. I'm not going to pay extra $ to sit with my child, its a safety issue not a choice.

We flew delta in dec and it was ridiculous . I had to quote the disability act to ensure I sat with my 7 yr old autistic son .
if they can charge you for an unaccompanied Minor how can they sit you separate ?
Teens seats were ti be assigned at boarding and the first leg they got first class ( I’m still hearing about it ) second leg they were comfort class and coming home they were together with the rest of us commoners ha ha

QUOTE="BLAZEY, post: 61409050, member: 116710"]
That's what we do too. as long as one of of sits with the kid, it doesn't matter. I'm not going to pay extra $ to sit with my child, its a safety issue not a choice.
[/QUOTE]

I don't care for the new pricing structure through westjet. Needlessly complicated!

I went through something similar trying to figure out the cheapest fare for my family for a flight last fall. I called and talked with an employee, who said that the range of prices for seat selection is because it's dynamic, based on what other passengers are doing. So the first people to pre-purchase specific seats get the cheapest rate, and as the plane fills the spots get more expensive. Other factors like emergency exit seats or extra legroom are also always more expensive.

My understanding is that they'll try to seat families together, but it's not guaranteed. And if you're booking the lowest class, you don't pick your seats at 24 hours anymore. They're assigned at the airport when you check in.

It still ended up cheaper for my family to book the lowest tier and pay for bags and seat selection instead of booking economy and picking seats at the 24-hour mark. So it's worth pricing things out, if you have a good chunk of time to devote to the math!

We typically book Economy (or whatever they call the fare about Basic Economy) and pre-purchase seats. It's cheaper, obviously, to book Basic and wait, but my wife likes some assurance as to where we're sitting and so it's an acceptable cost for us.

For our next flight, row 4 was $115 round trip per seat... BUT if you used the companion pass that seat costs nothing. So $115 for 2 seats. I believe rows 4-6 cost more because the seat pitch is greater. We just sat row 10 going down to FLL and row 5 coming back up and there was a clear need to pull the seat tray closer in row 5. If you have tall people or need more legroom I'd look into these rows.

For our next flight, row 4 was $115 round trip per seat... BUT if you used the companion pass that seat costs nothing.

Can you clarify this? I'll be using a companion pass - does the "free" seat for the companion apply just to the different fare types, or also if you are paying for the seat selection separately?

So the companion pass, as you know, is $99 plus taxes and whatever fees the airlines manage to tack on. Seat selection for a fee would normally apply to Basic and Economy fares, and you get that option during the fare purchase process. I don't know that the fee is waived for Basic, but it certainly has been for Economy. I'm also not sure if the fee applies if you select a seat after fare purchase. It *is* listed as a separate transaction, so it's a possibility.

Bear in mind that I already know that I'll be pre-purchasing seats, so it's highly unlikely that I'll be selecting seats after the fact.

We just pick our seats when we check in 24 hours prior. I refuse to pay $35-60 to pick a seat that isn't going to be much better than what I can get at check in. We are okay not to sit with each other if that's what happens but we don't have kids so it's not an issue. We usually fly AC because of points so we only do WJ occasionally (though I prefer them) and we generally manage to get seats together but, again, just 2 of us. Mostly the same experience on AC although DH is a something something level Aeroplan member and our seats are assigned when we book so that may not reflect the usual practice. I think they will try to seat families with young children together, but I wouldn't say that they absolutely do without intervention. I don't personally always rely on common sense and rationality coming into play automatically when it comes to airlines. If you do wait until check in to select your seats and you don't get them together, I'd ask at the desk or gate if they can rearrange if possible to at least not seat a child on their own away from a parent if you don't want to spend the outrageous fees to select.

The Westjet Mastercard is worth its weight in gold - if you are a minimum family size of 2 fly once per year, the $119/year fee to get the $99 companion fare and free checked bags is a life saver. We just booked Kelowna - Calgary - Orlando and because we have kids (aged 4 and 6), they offered for us to pay to select seats (no thanks) or they could pre-select seats in the back 30 rows at no charge. I love that this is now the requirement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!