Wet & Wetter but so much better than Working!

dfherrera

Earning My Ears
Sorry this is a bit late but time got away from me...

We went to WDW on May 14th returning on May 20th. We drove down from NJ and had a relatively easy drive. We stayed the first night at the Holiday Inn right near Disney Springs since we got in so late (did not want to waste a Disney Day for only a late night arrival).

Day 1 - When we woke up, we went over to Animal Kingdom's Kidani Village to check in and drop off our bags. This was about 9:00 am and to our surprise, our room was ready and we got right in! Next we headed off to the Magic Kingdom. We hit it on a Tuesday and all things considered, the crowds were rather light. The rain was not, however so we spent quite a bit of time dodging the rain. We were able to ride everything we wanted (mostly) and had a late lunch at 2:45 at Liberty Tree Tavern. We have not been there in many years and it was quite enjoyable! I got the "all you can eat" meal and really enjoyed the pork and turkey. My wife and son ordered off the menu and did not like it as much.

Day 2 - We ate breakfast in the room and then headed over to Hollywood Studios for the day. We hit all the rides and shows that we wanted to and ate another late lunch at the Sci-Fi Dine Inn Theater. This was at the request of my sister in law and was not one of our favorite meals. It is fun but I am getting too old (eyes) to eat in the dark and the food was only so-so. I also went over to the new "Bar", Baseline Tap House and had a great big pretzel with the Hard Citrus Cider. That night (as we are part of the DVC) we went to the Animal Kingdom for a Moonlight Magic evening and while it poured for the first few hours, it did clear up for the end of the night and we had a great time. We hopped on Expedition Everest, rode the Navi River ride and then watched the Rivers of Light show and it was great.

Day 3 - We went to EPCOT and again had quite a bit of rain on and off all day. I don't think our shoes dried at all the entire week. We had a great time walking around the Flower & Garden festival as we always do but with the rain, did not ride as much as we normally do. We hit Soarin and the boat ride in Living with the Land, did a lot of shopping and had another late lunch in Germany at the Biergarten. This was a great meal and very fun. I had not been there for many years and forgotten how much I liked the show (and beer). I picked up a couple cool plants at one of the vendor tents and a really nice Bonsai. Great news is that the Koi are back in Japan although they "shrunk" quite a bit. Looks like they redid the pond a bit and brought in new, younger fish.

Day 4 - Was the only day we ate breakfast outside the room. We went to the Rainforest Cafe outside of the Animal Kingdom and then headed into AK right after. The Rainforest Cafe is one of the cheapest breakfasts in Disney short of counter service so we always try to hit it once per trip. This was a little bit better rain wise but we still got soaked a few times. We rode the Safari early and had one of the best views of the Lions on Pride Rock than we have ever seen. One male and two females were out on the rock and got up a few times and looked around. Actually, all the animals were moving around quite a bit and we saw plenty. We had dinner that night back at the resort in Sanaa, this is one of our favorite meals and it did not disappoint!

Day 5 - Was more of a "rest day" and we headed over to Disney Springs to wander around and do some more shopping. We ate lunch at Paddlefish and really enjoyed it. It is much more upscale in decor than it's predecessor was and I think I prefer the Boathouse (which is right around the corner). More rain but not as bad and we did get to see a really cool rainbow.

Day 6 - We got up very early and drove home :(
So hear are the highlights/lessons learned...

1. We did not use the Dining Plan. It would have cost us $1132.35 for the three of us for the week using the normal plan we get. We wound up spending $847.95 so that was a savings.
  2. We purchased the TIW discount card for $150 and plan to use it when we go back in October this year - this was a big help on the meal savings
  3. Eating breakfasts in the room worked out but our plans for "late lunches" every day was not the best as we would up being very hungry by the time lunch came and then again later at night so we need to rethink that.
  4. The Sci-Fi Diner will slip from our list at least until a few years have passed. There are many better places to eat.
  5. Bring more than two pairs of shoes each in May! So, so, so much rain!
  6. Go with the flow... It's not worth getting worked up as I saw so many doing because of the weather - nothing you can do about it anyway

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter