We've Got a World-Class Menagerie: Where Should We Stay?

ChaseTheWind

You are valued.
It's been a while since I've visited these boards - they were essential to making our first family trip to Disney in 2017 the best trip we've ever taken! - so I hope you'll redirect me if there's a better place to ask this question!

Short version: if you were a family of five, with two adults, a 6 year old, and twin 2 year olds, where would you stay?

Longer version: We're starting to think about planning a trip to WDW in early March 2020, and I'm overwhelmed by the decisions about where we might stay. We had an amazing time at AoA when it was just the three of us (myself, my husband, and my then-3 year-old). Now we'll be traveling with the two additions to our lives, our twins, who will be two at the time. Both sets of in-laws have expressed interest in coming along for the ride, but they might want to book their own places rather than bunk with our rambunctious group.

As of right now, I keep thinking about our resort options in terms of fun theming and proximity to parks. My daughter adored the Little Mermaid room and the resort in general. But she was a doted-on only child, and a relatively patient (and potty-trained!) one, so the buses didn't faze her, nor did much of any of the other hassles of traveling. Now that we're thinking of going with a possibly terrible twosome as well, I'm thinking that a double stroller on buses sounds a bit rough, and being able to duck out to a deluxe resort for naptime might not be a bad idea.

We can probably swing a deluxe (I'm also new to thinking about renting DVC points, but wondering if that's an option) though that might mean we have to drive from Virginia instead of fly as well as be a lot more careful about our spending. Or we could go back to AoA, or maybe try a moderate, where it seems (though I have no idea!) that the theming is more exciting to the kids, as well as have more flexibility on spending, but be at the mercy of buses and the whims of three kids waiting for those buses.

I'm guessing we'll spend the most time at Magic Kingdom, though I suppose that could change. We are not in a hurry when we go to parks, and we'll build in off-days where we just hang around.

Anyone willing to share what they've done or would do in a similar situation? What other angles am I missing? If the in-laws want the full-on noisy experience of staying with us, is there a cost savings to be had in looking for places that accommodate a party of 7 or 9 instead of a party of 5?

Thank you so much for any insight you can share - I know these boards have a lot of wisdom!

Check out the cabins at Ft. Wilderness. They are a moderate, so a savings from a deluxe. We also spend most of our time at Magic Kingdom and love the convenience of taking the boat there. We stayed one time at AoA and the bus rides were not what we were used to (but did have a lot of fun). Love being able to easily leave MK in the middle of the afternoon for a pool/nap break. And if your group is rambunctious, it's nice to be in your own, separate building and not worry if you're bothering other guests down/upstairs or down the hall.

Someone here might know better than me as I'm only a family of 3. But don't the values have suites which would accommodate your family of 5 easily. And your inlaws could still stay but just in a regular room at a reduced price. They wouldn't necessarily be next to you, but at least being at the same resort might be nice. I see a PP mentioned the FW cabins, that very well might work out even better for you since you describe your group as rambunctious! :rotfl2: :lmao: If you're going to spend more time at MK then perhaps the cabins are better than the values. They have proximity to the AK so that may not work to your advantage. For me, that doesn't particularly matter. Well, this year that only matters on our arrival day as we won't be getting there till 11:30 or so and I'm making my first FP at AK around 1pm. Son and I will be hungry and need to eat before heading to the park, so we'll get a quick meal at All Star Sports and I'll drive us to the AK afterwards.

Good luck no matter what you decide! :wave2:

Someone here might know better than me as I'm only a family of 3. But don't the values have suites which would accommodate your family of 5 easily

Yes, both AoA and All Star Music offer Family Suites - but the OP doesn't actually need one. One child under three doesn't count toward room occupancy (but the other twin does), so they are technically a party of four and can stay anywhere.

That said, the Value resorts are the best kid-themed options, especially AoA, Pop, and Movies.

My almost 2 year old loved POFQ because she wanted to walk everywhere. While it might definitely be tight in a standard room, I'd totally book preferred in Alligator Bayou at POR with your crew, easy walk to the buses, shortish walk to the food court/dining. Granted it's been a while since I stayed at POR, but I don't remember the bus situation to be that awful...

I grew up in a family of 5 and we always shared a small hotel room, so it never bothers me to have that many people in a room.

Check out the cabins at Ft. Wilderness. They are a moderate, so a savings from a deluxe. We also spend most of our time at Magic Kingdom and love the convenience of taking the boat there. We stayed one time at AoA and the bus rides were not what we were used to (but did have a lot of fun). Love being able to easily leave MK in the middle of the afternoon for a pool/nap break. And if your group is rambunctious, it's nice to be in your own, separate building and not worry if you're bothering other guests down/upstairs or down the hall.
This is a great idea - I’ll check them out!

Yes, both AoA and All Star Music offer Family Suites - but the OP doesn't actually need one. One child under three doesn't count toward room occupancy (but the other twin does), so they are technically a party of four and can stay anywhere.

That said, the Value resorts are the best kid-themed options, especially AoA, Pop, and Movies.

Oh, I didn’t know this - very helpful info.

My almost 2 year old loved POFQ because she wanted to walk everywhere. While it might definitely be tight in a standard room, I'd totally book preferred in Alligator Bayou at POR with your crew, easy walk to the buses, shortish walk to the food court/dining. Granted it's been a while since I stayed at POR, but I don't remember the bus situation to be that awful...

I grew up in a family of 5 and we always shared a small hotel room, so it never bothers me to have that many people in a room.

Adding POFQ to my list of possibilities!

And I was one of six kids and we frequently crammed ourselves into tiny hotel rooms, too - all of my memories of those times are sweet and wonderful. Thanks for the reminder of that!

But don't the values have suites which would accommodate your family of 5 easily.

Yes, but.

The one at AS Music really doesn’t make sense for the ages.

It’s a bedroom with one bed, then a living room with pullout sofa, chair, and ottoman. And that’s the room with the door to the exterior.

IMO that’s good for trustworthy teens and preteens, but not for littles. Unless the parents want the pullout sofa and the kids all pile in the bed!

If you can stretch to a deluxe, they can be worth it IMO. The Boardwalk area is my favourite place to stay - you’re in walking distance to Epcot and just a boat ride from Hollywood Studios. It was blissfully easy popping back to the resort in the afternoons from those parks. You can’t ever be close to all the parks, but I do think that location is great, and it’s slightly cheaper than the MK area resorts. The pool at Yacht and Beach Club is also great for the whole family.

If you can’t stretch to a deluxe, a moderate may be worth a try! I don’t know that the locations are that much better than the values though, so if that’s your main priority a deluxe would be better.

Personally, if you can budget a deluxe, I would suggest it. The Poly is a great choice for youngsters and offers a relaxing respit from the overwhelming and overstimulating atmosphere that is WDW. My DGD loved it there when she was 5, and liked it at 15. Okay, she admitted to her Mom at that time she was a "grand Girl" just like her Nana! LOL<

There is a lot to be said for easy access to and from the MK and even more to be said for all the amenities clustered around a loop that only requires you to get on and off as you head to and from meals at monorail resorts.

If you can afford a deluxe, I’d try to stay in the Boardwalk area, either at the Beach Club, Yacht Club, or Boardwalk Inn. My favorite resort is the Poly, but being able to walk to two parks while staying in the Boardwalk area cannot be beat! Also, the BC and YC have SAB. The pool complex is very large, and some people say it can be stressful with littles, but we never found that to be the case. If you are interested in a monorail resort, the nice thing about those is you can hop on the monorail without folding up your stroller in case your twins are sleeping.

Good luck with whatever you decide! It’s going to be a great trip.

Adding POFQ to my list of possibilities!

And I was one of six kids and we frequently crammed ourselves into tiny hotel rooms, too - all of my memories of those times are sweet and wonderful. Thanks for the reminder of that!

She absolutely loved the splash pad there as well.

Do you want a 3rd sleeping area for the 6 year old or are you ok with her bunking with the twins? I'm traveling with 5 year old triplets, so my options were limited to those with true 5 person occupancy, not the 4+infant that you can get away with. So, if you're willing to go into a 4 person room, there are way more considerations than what I'm about to break down.

That said, we rented points to stay at Boardwalk. Both moderates that sleep 5 don't have elevators in the buildings with the 5th sleeper. While you can certainly request a ground floor, it's also possible that you'll be lugging a double stroller up and down a flight of stairs. That, coupled with the more spread out set up and busing situation, pulled the moderates off of our list.

The points rental at Boardwalk was comparable in cost to booking two value rooms or an ASMu suite and cheaper than AoA suites, cabins, and certainly traditional deluxe bookings. We had to pay in full well in advance, and I had to PayPal money to a stranger on the internet, so it's not without potential downside. But, the owner we're renting with (found here on the boards) has been super responsive and we've been very happy with the experience overall. And, walking distance to two parks is a HUGE plus for us and one I'm very excited to have advantage of in one week (!!!!!!).

If you're willing to smush, I'd probably book Pop and spend that money saved on other bonuses (dessert party, BBB, character meals, etc). If you want the 3rd sleeping space, I'd rent points for either Epcot area or Poly.

Hi there! Been in a similar situation. DS was 8 and twin DD’s were 4. We stayed at the Contemporary. I know some don’t like the theming but the location can’t be beat. Being able to walk to and from the Magic Kingdom is awesome. We now stay at our home resort BWV but the kids are now 20 and 16. The walk to Epcot was not a big factor when they were younger and the walk to Hollywood Studios is a decent length and might be too much for your aged kids. Good luck!

I see POFQ was recommended and I think that one is a good one as well - it's nice because it's a smaller resort ( so not so much walking to the main areas ) - I'd also recommend her sister property ( POR ) if for no other reason - the pool is great for kids.

The food courts at both are great and offer similar items. This resort is very large though so if you want to be close to the main areas a preferred room would be worth it.

If you can stretch to a deluxe, they can be worth it IMO. The Boardwalk area is my favourite place to stay - you’re in walking distance to Epcot and just a boat ride from Hollywood Studios. It was blissfully easy popping back to the resort in the afternoons from those parks. You can’t ever be close to all the parks, but I do think that location is great, and it’s slightly cheaper than the MK area resorts. The pool at Yacht and Beach Club is also great for the whole family.

If you can’t stretch to a deluxe, a moderate may be worth a try! I don’t know that the locations are that much better than the values though, so if that’s your main priority a deluxe would be better.

If you can afford a deluxe, I’d try to stay in the Boardwalk area, either at the Beach Club, Yacht Club, or Boardwalk Inn. My favorite resort is the Poly, but being able to walk to two parks while staying in the Boardwalk area cannot be beat! Also, the BC and YC have SAB. The pool complex is very large, and some people say it can be stressful with littles, but we never found that to be the case. If you are interested in a monorail resort, the nice thing about those is you can hop on the monorail without folding up your stroller in case your twins are sleeping.

Good luck with whatever you decide! It’s going to be a great trip.

Thank you both for your suggestions! I hadn’t even considered these options because I was focused on MK, but you make good points about being closer to two parks.

Hi there! Been in a similar situation. DS was 8 and twin DD’s were 4. We stayed at the Contemporary. I know some don’t like the theming but the location can’t be beat. Being able to walk to and from the Magic Kingdom is awesome. We now stay at our home resort BWV but the kids are now 20 and 16. The walk to Epcot was not a big factor when they were younger and the walk to Hollywood Studios is a decent length and might be too much for your aged kids. Good luck!

Yes, I’m trying to imagine walking and the limits of twins who already immediately walk in opposite directions from each other! This is so helpful.

Do you want a 3rd sleeping area for the 6 year old or are you ok with her bunking with the twins? I'm traveling with 5 year old triplets, so my options were limited to those with true 5 person occupancy, not the 4+infant that you can get away with. So, if you're willing to go into a 4 person room, there are way more considerations than what I'm about to break down.

That said, we rented points to stay at Boardwalk. Both moderates that sleep 5 don't have elevators in the buildings with the 5th sleeper. While you can certainly request a ground floor, it's also possible that you'll be lugging a double stroller up and down a flight of stairs. That, coupled with the more spread out set up and busing situation, pulled the moderates off of our list.

The points rental at Boardwalk was comparable in cost to booking two value rooms or an ASMu suite and cheaper than AoA suites, cabins, and certainly traditional deluxe bookings. We had to pay in full well in advance, and I had to PayPal money to a stranger on the internet, so it's not without potential downside. But, the owner we're renting with (found here on the boards) has been super responsive and we've been very happy with the experience overall. And, walking distance to two parks is a HUGE plus for us and one I'm very excited to have advantage of in one week (!!!!!!).

If you're willing to smush, I'd probably book Pop and spend that money saved on other bonuses (dessert party, BBB, character meals, etc). If you want the 3rd sleeping space, I'd rent points for either Epcot area or Poly.

Now this is good to know. Lugging a double stroller is no joke.

And one week!!!! Have an amazing time!!!!

I see POFQ was recommended and I think that one is a good one as well - it's nice because it's a smaller resort ( so not so much walking to the main areas ) - I'd also recommend her sister property ( POR ) if for no other reason - the pool is great for kids.

The food courts at both are great and offer similar items. This resort is very large though so if you want to be close to the main areas a preferred room would be worth it.

I have been looking at POFQ and I like it a lot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter