What’s Open in a Thunderstorm?

PrincessWithABlaster

DIS Veteran
So the weather forecast for Tues is currently showing that every open park hour has at least a 40% chance of thunderstorms, most of the hours are 70%. I know this can change, doesn’t happen often in FL, etc but it’s been showing as a significant heavy rain day with lots of storms for a few days and we’re pretty close at this point.

At Disney we’re ‘put the ponchos on and go’ people but this seems pretty intense. I’m toying with the idea of just going to Hogsmead for lunch and a ride or two to get something out of that days park ticket. But will anything be open if there’s lightning? I was thinking indoor rides (FJ and Gringotts) but FJ is the highest point around so maybe not. I was thinking shows but even Animal Actors is open air. Maybe Spider-Man? If all the rides and shows are closed do they keep the restaurants open?

And I assume the water taxis stop running?

So the weather forecast for Tues is currently showing that every open park hour has at least a 40% chance of thunderstorms, most of the hours are 70%. I know this can change, doesn’t happen often in FL, etc but it’s been showing as a significant heavy rain day with lots of storms for a few days and we’re pretty close at this point.

At Disney we’re ‘put the ponchos on and go’ people but this seems pretty intense. I’m toying with the idea of just going to Hogsmead for lunch and a ride or two to get something out of that days park ticket. But will anything be open if there’s lightning? I was thinking indoor rides (FJ and Gringotts) but FJ is the highest point around so maybe not. I was thinking shows but even Animal Actors is open air. Maybe Spider-Man? If all the rides and shows are closed do they keep the restaurants open?

And I assume the water taxis stop running?
We were there this summer when they had storms and the water taxis do shutdown. We were just getting off Gringotts when it started pouring. The outdoor rides shutdown but all of the indoor rides (which there are many especially at US were open (Transformers, SpiderMan, Minions, MIB, Jimmy Fallon, etc)) and the restaurants were all open. We ended up walking to Margaritaville and hanging out there until the storm passed. Luckily, it was shorts and flip flops weather so we dried quick. We did have ponchos we put on but still got soaked.

Thunderstorms don’t often drag on for hours. I wouldn’t alter your itinerary for the forecast. There are plenty of indoor shows too. You’re better off on the Universal side in bad weather. Most all rides there are inside.

I will be at the parks on Thanksgiving and the weather shows all rain. What do you suggest to wear? Rain jackets & boots?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts