What’s your families favorite dinner?

we have pizza on Friday, so that day is done! Every week is some form of mexican; tacos, nachos, fajitas, burritos because everyone likes that. I made fish tacos this week it it was a good rotation. I use good quality breaded fish and a packaged chopped southwest salad with small tortillas. We like pulled pork and now that it's colder, some soups like white bean and ham or chicken noodle with reames frozen noodles.

I always feel like I am in a rut and no one offers suggestions, so they eat what I feel like making!

we have pizza on Friday, so that day is done! Every week is some form of mexican; tacos, nachos, fajitas, burritos because everyone likes that. I made fish tacos this week it it was a good rotation. I use good quality breaded fish and a packaged chopped southwest salad with small tortillas. We like pulled pork and now that it's colder, some soups like white bean and ham or chicken noodle with reames frozen noodles.

I always feel like I am in a rut and no one offers suggestions, so they eat what I feel like making!

I love fish tacos. May I ask what brand of breaded fish you use?

That's a frequent meal for me and I make my chicken soup the same. It's so easy (although it takes time) and so flipping good!

Leftover chicken and veggies are simmering down as we speak! I keep all carcasses in the freezer when we are done with roast chicken, and when I trim/peel carrots, celery, and onions for a meal, those trimmings go in the freezer also. About once a month everything goes in the stock pot and simmers for about a half-day. Sometimes it goes to soup, sometimes just to the freezer, but I ALWAYS have homemade stock on hand (I'll even buy a cold rotisserie chicken to use for soup- our grocery marks them down for sale the day after they are "fresh".)

I don't really have a meal plan. However, favorites are homemade Mac and cheese, a ground turkey casserole made with water chestnuts, celery, noodles, and mushroom soup, almost any way that I make scallops or shrimp, baked haddock (lately I've been smearing it with pesto, then baking it surrounded with veggies, or do a ritz topping and bake it with veg/chard/potatoes). Let's see...
Meatloaf
Party meatballs (made with cranberry sauce and cocktail sauce... the grape jelly version is too sweet for us, we like the kick from cranberry and horseradish)
Sunshine chicken- sautéed some garlic and onions in olive oil, add chicken and brown a bit, pour in some orange juice and cover, let it simmer on the stove until done. Works well with southern style pork spare ribs (the thick cut ones with the H- or shoulder bone)
Grandma's chicken- mix mayo and parmesan, smear on chicken breasts, sprinkle with breadcrumbs, bake.
Leek and asparagus quiche made with either sharp cheddar or Swiss... sometimes with ham or bacon
Lots of the time I just marinate whatever meat I pull out of the freezer with whatever marinade is in the fridge. Let it sit while we are at work, then pan saute, often with veg alongside in the pan, serve with rice/noodle/mashed potato and veg or salad.
Newest favorite is ravioli casserole. I saute whatever veggies need to be cooked (tomato, onion, zucchini, broccoli, greens, whatever) with garlic in olive oil. Cook some frozen ravioli. Put a little sauce in a casserole dish and layer in half the ravioli. Put the veg on top of the ravioli, add cheese and some more sauce. Top with remaining ravioli and more sauce and cheese. Bake for about 30 mins at about 350? till bubbly and hot.
Homemade soup... chicken, pasta fagioli, white bean with sausage and Kale, creamy chicken, carrot/ginger, or good ol' Campbells tomato with grilled cheese sandwiches!

I love fish tacos. May I ask what brand of breaded fish you use?

We have Lidl here, similar to aldi and I use their breaded fish fillets and fish sticks. They are fairly light on the breading and not from China! I like the breaded since they hold together well but I have also done firm white fish in the oven with seasonings. Also I like to make Bang Bang shrimp, I use the skinnytaste recipe, Banging Good Shrimp. So easy and good.

4 ounce filet mignon, wrapped in bacon, grilled over charcoal & mesquite, cowboy butter on top
Baked potato
Tossed salad

Have to say, a steak dinner with baked potato and salad is one of our favorites too. Although I prefer a New York Strip over Filet Mignon. Strange, I know.

We have Lidl here, similar to aldi and I use their breaded fish fillets and fish sticks. They are fairly light on the breading and not from China! I like the breaded since they hold together well but I have also done firm white fish in the oven with seasonings. Also I like to make Bang Bang shrimp, I use the skinnytaste recipe, Banging Good Shrimp. So easy and good.
I use that same Bang Bang Shrimp recipe and make it often. Good stuff!

My three sons and their families love to order pizza and bread sticks from our small town pizzeria when they come to visit......must say something about my cooking for them. :rolleyes:

Our quick meals:

1. Chicken stir fry with rice. I buy frozen stir fry veggies and cut up chicken breast or tenders. We have a variety of sauces to cook it. Sometimes we make fried rice too.
  2. Taco Salad. Use ground Turkey, black beans, lettuce, tomato, cheese and tortilla chips. I put black olives on sometimes. Its best to mix all ingredients while meat and beans is cooking. Put cheese on top. Pour the hot ground Turkey/beans and let it sit 30 sec to melt cheese then stir it all together. Yummy!
  3. Fajitas (chicken or beef) with spanish rice
  4. Salmon with asparagus
  5. Baked potato bar. We have nacho cheese, sour cream, bacon bits and broccoli

My family likes a bagged Salad mixed with pasta, chicken, and a Caesar Salad dressing! Easy and fast!

Coming up with dinner ideas is the worst! Luckily my DH likes to experiment with new recipes and the kids are good about trying new things at least once and then we decide if they are repeats or one and done recipes.

Super easy favorite is beef and noodles. Best part is it's a crockpot recipe.

Tacos chicken or beef, California tri tip sandwiches and stuffed chicken breasts are new favorites

Wow there's really not one thing that comes to mind... There is alot of request for certain meals or dishes I should say...

Mojo pork roast with yellow rice, and garden peas w/ pearl onions and mushrooms.

Roasted chicken with my own concoction marinade - with red smashed potatoes w/ some of the skin left on, pole beans or green beans
( Marinade is pretty simple, light olive oil, herbs of the Provence, 2 lemons - juiced and sliced, white wine anything you like to drink, I have even used up like a blush or white Merlot, salt and pepper whisk together, pour over the chicken, I put it all in a ziplock bag over night if possible, or at least 5 to 6 hours) roast uncovered at 350 until the chicken is done, which depending on which type of chicken piece's and how many will vary, I like it to be really brown so the last say 10 to 15 - I do turn the oven up to 375, if needed.

Steak and baked potatoes with all the stuff for the baked potato.

Lasagna, stuffed shells, spaghetti, beef-a-roni, lasagna roll ups.

Shrimp scampi - with angel hair pasta, salad and garlic bread

Stuffed baked potatoes, - you can go crazy with whatever you want to put in... my DH loves sauteed butter garlic shrimp in the potato with green onions and cheese and sour cream which sound strange but is really good, I put a salad and sometime bread to go along and we are good to go... Left over meat, bbq beef, pork or chicken is another request. You can add in left over taco meat... this is a endless option... Broccoli and cheese is my fav.

Potato salad, deviled eggs are a must at any family gathering... year around I make this.

Pasta, or noodle salad is another family favorite... you can add different veggies, mix up the dressing for the salad and are good to go - For my family summer noodle salad... I like to use Linguini noodles then I use broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, cucumbers, yellow squash, zucchini, olives, green onion, and tomatoes with a Zesty / or herb Italian dressing... I have also made it with hidden valley cucumber dressing which changes it up.

Veggie Pot pie - this is sorta labor intensive so I normally make it for the Holiday's or special occasion.

Enchilada roll ups - my family likes it now that I have doctored it up, by adding in black beans and corn to the meat mixture, plus adding in some different cheese and adjusting the heat level to milder for us.

I found that I can take something that I make a lot and change it up, by adding different ingredients, make a different sauce or dressing can really create something different with out it being to foreign to my family... Also by changing up what kind of salad, and ingredients/ dressings that I put together or even the type of bread can give a old favorite some new life.

Chicken PPP... pasta, peas, parmesan. I put bow tie pasta on to cook while slicing/picking chicken from a grocery rotisserie chicken (or use leftover cooked chicken). Frozen petite peas go in the microwave; chicken also gets nuked to warm it up. When the pasta is done I drain it and toss with a little olive oil, then add the chicken and peas. Toss all... put shredded parm on top or mix it in. Voila! Dinner! Sometimes I saute a little fresh basil in the olive oil before I put it on the pasta. I also sometimes save a little of the pasta cooking water to drizzle over the dish (BEFORE I add the cheese) in case it's too "stiff" to mix nicely. It's a quick, easy, filling dish; salad rounds out the meal.

I also "repurpose" meals. The pasta fagioli that was Saturday's soup supper will provide lunch for a couple of days, but then I add tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, maybe more ground beef. It becomes skillet chili; heat in a frying pan and then pour Jiffy cornbread mix on top, cover, bake until the cornbread is done (or put spoons of cornbread on top, like dumplings).

I see a lot of grilled cheese and tomato soup, which I love love love (especially fall and winter) but my kids never liked grilled cheese or soup either.

I also see meatball hoagies which I like and DH likes and I like to make but my kids never liked. I now make, for just DH and I, meatball wraps with low carb wraps, Rosita Angus meatballs in jar sauce with shredded italian cheese. 2 DDs hate red sauce stuff except pizza, though they never LOVED pizza but would eat it. They really liked that chef boyardie boxed pizza that you mix the crust and basically has parmesan cheese.

My fam loved tacos too but I wasn't a big fan and hated the clean up (shredded lettuce and cheese and meat spilled everywhere).They liked chicken enchiladas too but, again, not my fave. They didn't like chilli but I love it and like making it. They also didn't like pulled BBQ/wimpys/manwhich. Nor would they eat my meatloaf with ketchup on top. Guess the red sauce and I think it's more onions they HATE and most saucy stuff has onions and/or chunks of tomatoes. DS, by his teens, would pretty much eat anything. It's twin DDs-almost 20- that are super picky. But they like spicy and Asian food, even sushi, and Greek food. I wish I could make sushi because that would be a hit. They like rice and bread carbs more than pasta (kinda like their father).

Kebobs also were a hit. I didn't make them often though. I have difficulty turning them on the grill.

Another thing I made for awhile that they did like...I'd make tortellini and I'd very modestly mix pesto with finely chopped sun dried tomatoes (or sun dried tomato pesto) (and maybe add some more olive oil) and parmesan cheese and mix together.

Make your own nachos was a frequent dinner when they were in HS. I'd make up taco meat and heat cheese sauce and refried beans and have tostidos and many toppings in bowls for them to put on what they liked. Another messy clean up though.

Last edited:
This week's menu (no set days)
Whole chicken in the crockpot, mashed potatoes and veggie
Steaks on the grill (year round, even in Ohio), baked potatoes, salad
Asian chicken and broccoli with rice (similar to Chinese take out)
Beef stroganoff and salad
Chili

Other favorites:
Buffalo chicken in crockpot, homemade mac & cheese, stir-fried green beans
Make-your-own pizza
Spaghetti, ravoli or stuffed shells with salad and bread
Taco soup
Potato soup
Cajun chicken pasta (knockoff Red Lobster recipe) with cheesy biscuits
Udon noodles with chicken and veggies
BBQ pork chops with mac and cheese and veggie
Beef roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, carrots
Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and stir fried green beans or broccoli
BBQ chicken on the grill (year round) with baked potatoes

My family's favorites:

I make a ton of homemade meatballs about every 8 weeks, then we have spaghetti one day, meatball subs another, then Swedish meatballs in gravy over egg noodles another.

DH and I love stuffed peppers, we buy Costco's a lot. The kids make sandwiches that night.

Rotisserie chicken with crusty Italian bread and a veggie side. Leftover chicken gets cut up for chicken Caesar salad the next day - romaine, shredded parmesan and big garlic croutons.

Chicken & rice bake - rice a roni with the seasoning packet, a can of any "cream" base soup, and water mixed together with chicken tenderloins on top, cover & bake. I serve with a mixed green salad.

Sunday in the winter is typically some sort of roast. Today is a beef roast in the crock pot with carrots and potatoes roasting on the top. I'll make the drippings into homemade gravy.

Breakfast for dinner - eggs, sausage, toast.

Summertime is burgers and sausages on the grill or pork chops.

Sides are frequently brussel sprouts baked with balsamic glaze, roasted asparagus, snapped green beans, steamed broccoli. Sometimes corn, but I've been trying to cut back on the amount of carb heavy food. Frequently, DH and I only eat the protein and a double portion of green veggies. The kids love the starchy sides, so I still cook for them.

My 17 year old son eats a metric ton of food lately, so I buy precooked frozen sausage patties that he can microwave - add Kraft cheese slice on toasted English muffin and you have a quick sausage "McMuffin". I haven't had to hear, "what is there to eat?" since he's been making them.

DD loves tuna salad the chopped pickles and banana peppers on toast. Egg salad too. She'll skip dinner & make sandwiches a lot.

My family's favorites:

I make a ton of homemade meatballs about every 8 weeks, then we have spaghetti one day, meatball subs another, then Swedish meatballs in gravy over egg noodles another.

Would you care to share a recipe for the Swedish Meatballs? My mom used to make this when I was growing up and, now that she's gone, I haven't had it in years. I'd like to give it a shot but I'd really love to know it's a tried and true recipe before I do. I guess I might need a meatball recipe too to get things started. :)

Would you care to share a recipe for the Swedish Meatballs? My mom used to make this when I was growing up and, now that she's gone, I haven't had it in years. I'd like to give it a shot but I'd really love to know it's a tried and true recipe before I do. I guess I might need a meatball recipe too to get things started. :)

I typically use this recipe, minus the allspice and nutmeg in the meatballs (since they're in italian dishes too):

https://therecipecritic.com/the-best-swedish-meatballs/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter