"What A Desolate Place This Is" - August 2020 Dining Report - Update 9/29 Wine Bar George

I had a breakfast of champions with Twix bars and a Coconut Berry Redbull while I drove to WDW. Mr. Dis_Yoda had an Amp and Trail Mix.
My teeth hurt just reading this :D

We decided to drive rather than deal with buses and we were happy to see how close we were parking. I was shocked to see people wasting money on Preferred when it was a 3 row difference.
I think we are going to drive in November so we'll have a car for the first time ever and plan on driving ourselves everywhere. Glad to hear parking isn't an issue

First booth we stopped at was for Hawaii where we just got alcohol as why not? It wasn’t too strong but can you really go wrong with vodka and pineapple juice? The cup was cute but no way was I going to carry that for the next few hours so it was tossed when we were done.
Looks like a great first vacation drink. Love the cup too!

but who doesn’t like doing shots at noon on a Thursday?
:confused3

We were next to ride after that occurred which unfortunately meant the seat was very wet so I walked around EPCOT with a wet butt the rest of the day. It happens!
But at least it was a sanitized butt :earboy2:

DFPWea1.jpg
Why am I not surprised by your mask? Love it!

Following!
Welcome!!!

My teeth hurt just reading this :D
Breakfast of champions (or just lazy people visiting a 7-11 that had too many massless people for me to wander the store much)

I think we are going to drive in November so we'll have a car for the first time ever and plan on driving ourselves everywhere. Glad to hear parking isn't an issue
Yes. We only used our own transportation this time around - either by feet or by vehicle. Figured it was less aggravating than dealing with buses. Parking wasn't an issue but there are no trams so you have to walk from the car to the park but oh well. Rather stay active!

Looks like a great first vacation drink. Love the cup too!
It was! Too bad I'm too lazy to carry a cup or else it would be a good addition to our tiki cup collection.

I know you would doing them along side me!

But at least it was a sanitized butt :earboy2:
Yup! Squeaky clean!

Why am I not surprised by your mask? Love it!
Yes! We ordered one of the 4 packs of Star Wars masks when they were first were released. I also picked up a Haunted Mansion one this weekend. We both have to wear masks at work so might as well make it fun!

Tutto Italia

After we cooled off, The Land was closed so we headed over to Nemo where we walked on and then Spaceship Earth where we got stopped for a few minutes at the front again because of the cleaning cycle. There was a party in front of us that had a meltdown and left over it. The process takes like 5 minutes? I don’t get huffing over that and abandoning a line when you literally are the next party to go on when it’s over. My husband’s mask made his photo funny at the end.

ql14Bwl.jpg

bgU9Qij.jpg

eIgzmcG.jpg

We next headed to Test Track which had a 25 minute wait listed. As we got right before the ‘build your vehicle’ room (you can’t build your vehicle at the moment) the ride closed for weather. We looked at the radar and knew it should be about a 25 minute storm give or take. Some people abandoned the line but we decided to sit down and wait it out as 1) its hot outside, 2) who wants to walk around in a Florida Thunderstorm and 3) what else are we going to do? My husband took a small nap and I just played on my cell phone. I guess we forgot about cameras on this ride too…

PmmQWaD.jpg

When we got off, we headed over to the Land for a short ride on Soarin’. I love the creative ways they have the parties sectioned off from one another using a car booster seat. We only had about a 10 minute wait! When we got off, we had about 40 minutes until our ADR time at Tutto Italia but my husband looked at me and said he was tired and asked if we could skip Living with the Land and go check in early. They were ready for us as we already had a table number next to our name on their sign in sheet that I saw upon check in.

The tables were nicely distanced from each other. As all menus are on-line now through using QR codes, we looked it over on my phone. We decided against a bottle of wine since we would be driving back to the hotel after dinner and each got a quartino for ourselves that would match our respective entrees. My husband was happy with his selection of the white and I was with my red.

bNkH8Oj.jpg

Pecorino Il Fueduccio, Pecorino Light Body 2018 Quartino
Tageto, Donna Olimpia, Cabernet, Merlot, Petit Verdo, Cab Franc, Full Body, 2016 Quartino

Very quickly after ordering (like less than 10 minutes), a food runner brought us our meals.

My husband went with the chicken pasta. He loved this as their parmesan cream is flavorful, the pasta isn’t overcooked and the chicken decently seasoned.

mipQVfJ.jpg

Petto Di Pollo, Grilled Chicken Breast, Fettuccine Pasta, Parmesan Cream

I almost got the same thing as him but I was feeling like I needed something hearty and the heat-induced non-hunger had subsided. This was an excellent lasagna with a nice balance of meat to cheese.

00QjDfY.jpg

Lasagna Alla Bolognese, Traditional Preparation from Emilia-Romagna with Beef, Veal, and Pork Rague, Bechamel, Parmesan

Our service here wasn’t up to the par it usually has been in the past. After ordering, we didn’t really see our server again after we got our wine until it was time to pay. Our water glasses weren’t refilled at all. I’m not sure if he was annoyed we didn’t order appetizers or if he was having an off day. I know they don’t have all their usual servers given the circumstances so we’ll still consider it for future trips.

On our way out of the park, we stopped by Germany to get some caramel goodies to enjoy later. That caramel corn is addictive. I got through half the bag while I was watching Thursday’s episode of Big Brother before I said I need to stop myself.

b6DLhP4.jpg

Caramel Corn & Vanilla Caramels

Backlot Express

We woke up naturally around 6AM even though we didn’t need to get up at that point. I made coffee and had one of the ready to eat Bakerly French Pancakes I had brought along with us. I updated this report because why not be a little productive?

At 9AM, we left the room and drove over to Hollywood Studios. There was some traffic on the way in when we arrived but we were parked by 9:25AM in a non-terrible location and heading inside the park. They have the new style of metal detectors there and they were a breeze to walk through. The park was already open and moving so we decided to start in Toy Story Land before deciding where to head next. Our first ride was Slinky Dog Dash which didn’t have a very long wait. What was an adventure was that it was going to be a ‘dash’ to see if we were finished with the ride by the time it turned 10AM to try for our boarding group for Rise of the Resistance.

EO60ENA.jpg

EX5OSv4.jpg

I’m sad we didn’t get our slinky dog photo as it would have been funny seeing me staring at my phone waiting for the 10AM mark to hit. It hit 10am as we were just off the ride…

jgQQa3W.png

250 minutes would be right around 2PM so perfect time for a ride than leaving the park for the day. We headed off to do Toy Story Mania which proved to be harder than normal as fog from wearing masks added a new adventure to the experience! This didn’t stop my husband from excelling…

i5eaHLy.jpg

YLP3hFD.jpg

Yeah, I hate him too somedays.

We whirled and swirled some saucers before heading into Galaxy’s Edge

hsD5arA.jpg

OlZ7hxB.jpg

Apparently I forgot that my husband had never gone on Smuggler’s Run before but he was very happy to have experienced it for the first time and as a pilot! We worked well together and got both cargos. As we got off, it was a little after 11AM, and I was hungry so we reviewed what would be available through mobile order and agreed to just do Backlot Express as the food is simple and we had a better chance of it not being terrible than lets say, Pizzerizzo

bMxMTFJ.png

gvWq0XY.png

BK4Vjgf.jpg

While we were eating, I got a confirmation text message for Saturday’s dinner. We had reserved through Open Table which may be why we got one. Super easy to confirm!

wh5YBgm.png

As for the food, it was a bacon cheeseburger and chicken strips. Things that a theme park shouldn’t screw up and they didn’t. We were both happy with our food and our plastic cheese we shared for the fries. The mobile process was easy enough although I did need to stop off to the side for ordering so my faceid would work for Apple Pay. #maskproblems

After our lunch, we headed to Star Tours where yesterday’s car seat dividers from Soarin’ were being used as well. Parties of 2 are placed in row 1.

T66stLh.jpg

Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway had been down for a bit but it was up and running again by the time we were off of Star Tours. The wait was at 55 minutes which was the worst wait of the trip for a true wait time (not holding rain against Test Track) but we did hit a cleaning cycle when we were outside. It was 96 degrees and humid. After 40 minutes in direct sun, I felt dizzy. I told my husband I needed to go get something and headed over to a food cart for two powerades. The lady ahead of me was having payment issues so I totally chugged one of them without paying and still in line and the cast member was like - so nice to see someone smiling over something as simple as powerade. Florida heat is no joke! Make sure you hydrate!

TIxm45Z.jpg

tcbfa3Y.jpg

No spoilers but we really enjoyed the ride!

After looking to see that Rise of the Resistance was only on boarding group 7 and we were group 43 - we called it a day. My heat incident made me feel drained and my husband was also a bit tired so we drove back to the hotel where I took a bath and then a 2 hour long nap. My husband went for a run at the gym before his much shorter nap. When we woke up, it was time to get ready for what hopefully would be an amazing fancy meal! I think our Rise of Resistance group was called around 5PM based on phone notifications so I’m glad we left as we would have been cranky to wait around that long.​

For some reason I never think of Tutto Italia as an option. I think I'm still bitter over Alfredo's closing. Yes, I can hold a grudge. 😆 Sorry your server was a bit MIA. I think a lot of places are still working out the kinks in this new normal of operations but water refills seem pretty basic... especially when it is surface of the sun hot. Sounds like a fun day in DHS. Sometimes basic fast food really hits the spot! Sorry your Rise boarding group didn't turn out. I'm really hoping your Wine Bar George dinner made up for it.

At Frozen, we had about a 20 minute wait 6 of which was watching them do a ride cleaning cycle with the spray. We were next to ride after that occurred which unfortunately meant the seat was very wet so I walked around EPCOT with a wet butt the rest of the day. It happens!​

BUT.....if you think about it - your butt was now super-duper sanitized and every place you sat you then applied said sanitizer from your butt onto the new surface you were sitting upon so you should have been THANKED for your sanitizing assistance!!

:rotfl2:

For some reason I never think of Tutto Italia as an option. I think I'm still bitter over Alfredo's closing. Yes, I can hold a grudge. 😆 Sorry your server was a bit MIA. I think a lot of places are still working out the kinks in this new normal of operations but water refills seem pretty basic... especially when it is surface of the sun hot. Sounds like a fun day in DHS. Sometimes basic fast food really hits the spot! Sorry your Rise boarding group didn't turn out. I'm really hoping your Wine Bar George dinner made up for it.

I held a grudge for the longest time over Flager's turning into Citricos so I feel you on Alfredo's closing. Eventually I tried it and was pleasantly surprised! My mother still is bitter about Ariel's and that has been closed even longer! So many changes over the years. Now I just want my various signature dinner places to open back up.

Yeah, I figure they are working out kinks and I know they are putting themselves at risk for working. At least with how quick the food came, we could manage. We had lots of water and an 8 pack of Gatorade in the room as well for hydration. I think we're going to end up bringing a bunch along with us in November.

Basic fast food was the right choice at HS! We didn't want to be tied down with an ADR b/c of the possibility of Rise. For our two HS days next trip - we will get Oga's and Brown Derby in though!

BUT.....if you think about it - your butt was now super-duper sanitized and every place you sat you then applied said sanitizer from your butt onto the new surface you were sitting upon so you should have been THANKED for your sanitizing assistance!!

:rotfl2:

😆 It was super sanitized! I'm just glad I was in jeans and not like khakis or white pants as that would have been awkward. It got recharged at Spaceship Earth as well!

😆 It was super sanitized! I'm just glad I was in jeans and not like khakis or white pants as that would have been awkward. It got recharged at Spaceship Earth as well!

Well, DH and I chatted the other night and our October trip is a GO-FOR-GO!! WOOT!! which means I'll probably have a sanitized butt too! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Now, we just have to wait for our pts to be "extended" and I have to call MS and book the vacation!

We are contemplating either VGF or BLT - any thoughts since you just stayed at BLT?? We've stayed at GF, but not the villas and have never stayed @ BLT/Contemporary..

and we don't have dates yet for October - which is FREAKING me out! I've never known I was going to Disney the next month and not had a reservation or a plan......

Once our points are available to book the we'll see which dates which hotel and view is open and then our trip will come together!

Well, DH and I chatted the other night and our October trip is a GO-FOR-GO!! WOOT!! which means I'll probably have a sanitized butt too! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Now, we just have to wait for our pts to be "extended" and I have to call MS and book the vacation!

We are contemplating either VGF or BLT - any thoughts since you just stayed at BLT?? We've stayed at GF, but not the villas and have never stayed @ BLT/Contemporary..

and we don't have dates yet for October - which is FREAKING me out! I've never known I was going to Disney the next month and not had a reservation or a plan......

Once our points are available to book the we'll see which dates which hotel and view is open and then our trip will come together!

I've only stayed at studios at either VGF or BLT. We own VGF (as well at AKV & BWV) so I may be biased but I do love the studios at VGF. We only own a handful of points there so we only stay about every other year. BLT has the advantage of being able to walk to MK but the studio is a bit smaller. I do like how BLT has a 'mini kitchen' section as it helps separate out the room and if you aren't using the pull out couch - its comfortable. It can be tight if there are more than 2 of you though. You can't really go wrong with either and your choice may be made for you based off availability.

It is so exciting to have a trip in the works! I hope you can figure out your dates soon and come up with a plan. Our plans were pretty basic as we knew things could change in an instant. It seems like most restaurants still have good availability as well and if you have a resort reservation, you can get into all the parks.

So excited for our trip!! We will be staying in a 1-br at either VGF or BLT - hubby is tall and he prefers a king bed so I guess I'll have to sacrifice and stay in the bigger place, right??

We have a possibility of 3 different weeks so I've been randomly booking ADRs for dates I think we might be there so there's that kinda planning going on...a hot mess if you ask me!

Following along...we had an April trip as well, and now a rescheduled October trip for March 2021!

I’m not gonna lie, it hurts my feelings that you guys bailed on Rise of the Resistance lol. I’m just kidding and it’s only because last time we were there we were unable to make a boarding group, so I still haven’t gotten to experience it yet. But I totally get it. The last time we were at Disney in the summer I had to bail on MK early because of feeling like I could pass out.

So excited for our trip!! We will be staying in a 1-br at either VGF or BLT - hubby is tall and he prefers a king bed so I guess I'll have to sacrifice and stay in the bigger place, right??

We have a possibility of 3 different weeks so I've been randomly booking ADRs for dates I think we might be there so there's that kinda planning going on...a hot mess if you ask me!

We save going to 1 bedrooms for certain occasions because of the points used - luckily we were able to get a 1 bedroom value for February and April for the race weekends. Hope you get decisions made soon for your trip!

Following along...we had an April trip as well, and now a rescheduled October trip for March 2021!

Sorry you had to reschedule twice! Hopefully your March trip is amazing!

I’m not gonna lie, it hurts my feelings that you guys bailed on Rise of the Resistance lol. I’m just kidding and it’s only because last time we were there we were unable to make a boarding group, so I still haven’t gotten to experience it yet. But I totally get it. The last time we were at Disney in the summer I had to bail on MK early because of feeling like I could pass out.

Yeah - it hurt a bit to not use it but yeah it was the smart choice plus so worth it for being relaxed and ready to enjoy dinner.

California Grill

After my nap, I had gotten myself looking presentable for our first fancy meal out in months. Oh, how I’ve missed having a reason to dress up and eat good food. Take out is ok but just isn’t the same.

vhMhUWa.jpg

All dressed up with somewhere to go!

sGH3QWp.jpg

Walkway

It was a very far journey to go across the bridgeway and down the stairs (the down escalator was broken - good thing I don’t wear heels!) where we had to check ourselves in on our phone. Walk away to be distanced only to immediately be called back to the podium after we sat down. A quick temperature check and we were on our way to the 15th floor alone in the elevator. We were taken towards a booth next to the observation deck, a nice distance away from other tables.

Using the QR Code, we reviewed the menu starting with wine. Our server was one of the sommeliers which was nice. We settled on a bottle of wine that would work fine with both of the selections whatever they ended up being as I was in an internal debate on what to do? Did I want sushi? Did I want chicken? Did I want to be weird and order scallops?

al8LQYh.jpg

Chappellet Mountain Cuvee, 2018

Luckily, when our waiter had returned, I had solved my internal debate and we put our order in for food.

So as my husband enjoyed their sourdough bread, I enjoyed the appetizer that I always get now that my wasabi shrimp salad has gone the way of Fulton’s or Flager’s or Maelstrom. Never to be seen again. I love the flavors of this dish as it's just the right amount of spice. I had to laugh at my husband as he stole a piece of the pickled lotus root thinking it was going to be swiss cheese. His face was priceless. He actually likes lotus root when he’s had it before but it wasn’t what he was expecting at that time.

674cN3j.jpg

Braised Beef Short Rib Wontons - Doenjang Miso-Cola-Onion Sauce, Crispy Garlic Chili Oil, Radish, Pickled Lotus Root

My husband ordered the special which was the normal filet with lobster mac & cheese instead of just regular Gouda mac & cheese. The mac and cheese had a ton of lobster meat in it and he was very happy with this selection. The filet was cooked to the appropriate temperature and was super tender.

619DFUt.jpg

Oak-fired Filet of Beef w/ Lobster Mac & Cheese, Brussels Sprouts, Oxtail Marmalade, Red Wine-Sweet Onion Jus

I went weird as I was craving something different. I know I’m insanely picky about scallops and usually avoid them at most restaurants but I knew I could trust California Grill to not screw them up and they didn’t. The beurre blanc sauce had just the right amount of kick to it that didn’t overpower the scallop. The lump crab meat was wonderful with its light citrus flavor. I was very happy!

GO6l6OO.jpg

Jumbo Scallops - Lump Crab in Yuzu Vinaigrette, Carolina Gold Rice, Glazed Dragon Carrots, Shishito Beurre Blanc

After we finished our bottle of wine and entrees, we decided to go for dessert. We couldn’t find the list of dessert wines by the glass but luckily our server went to see what they actually had available. He said he’s trying to get the website to accurately reflect it in these menu-less times but he was happy we asked! My husband made his dessert selection where as I went with a cocktail off the normal menu as I knew my dessert would be super sweet so I wanted something less sweet to drink.

gev23lQ.jpg

Sonoma County Sunset - Sonoma Distilling Co Rye, Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc, Sweet and Sour & float of Sonoma County Merlot

My husband had a glass of tokaji which is a very sweet Hungarian wine which some strange processing used that my husband was excited about. Somehow, he’s become more of the wine expert than me but that's probably a good thing considering his job.

1B2zqHQ.jpg

Tokaji

For dessert, there were only 3 options along with a cheese plate so we went with the two sweetest ones. My husband enjoyed his chocolate cake. Can you really go wrong with vanilla, milk chocolate and pretzels?

zKkog1D.jpg

Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake, Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, Milk Chocolate-Whipped Panna Cotta, Pretzel Crunch

I went with the white chocolate creme brulee. I was happy with this as while it was sweet, the serving size made it not too overpowering.

CDO48QS.jpg

White Chocolate Creme Brulee, Cornflake Crunch, Sponge Cake, Coconut Whipped Ganache, Plant City Strawberries

We finished our drinks and paid our bill. Made me wish I had a Tables in Wonderland - hopefully they are selling them again in November. At least DVC got me 10% off food. We walked back to the room in the slightly buzzed and happily full state before calling it a night!

yJOF7OE.jpg

Magic Kingdom

Overall, this meal was excellent from start to finish. Reminded me of the awesome meals we always had at California Grill pre-remodel. Right now, we’re planning on returning in November but could change depending on what other signature dining opportunities open up between now and then. (I really struggled making a plan for our 9 night trip for November due to the amount of favorites that are closed)​

What a great evening! Love your dress! I recently dined in a restaurant with some friends for the first time since March and it felt so wonderful to be somewhat normal for a bit. Those wontons are incredible - definitely my favorite too. And your picture of the sunset cocktail with the sunset in the background? :love: Glad to hear CG is doing distancing well and that the food and service is still fantastic. Like you, I'm really struggling with October plans when so many typical faves are still closed (Jiko, Flying Fish, bluezoo, Crews Cup/Yachtsman, Takumi Tei, Chefs de France). Hoping some of these reopen over the next ~6 weeks ... as well as CG brunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter