What about Disneyland for the 100th?

gary

Mouseketeer
Lots of rumors/hints about what's going to happen at WDW for Walt's 100th. What about Disneyland (which I associate with Walt Disney much more closely than WDW, since it was "his park")? Any news/rumors about what, if anything, will be happening there?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Since Ei$$ner loves to recycle, he'll have Disney Land celebrate Walt's 101st birthday next year!

Hmmm.....maybe he'll even put an Aladdin spinner in as well!

... it's that old, broken down park next to the Bright and Shiny New California Adventure!!:)

... How could I forget!! I guess the neon blinded me for a moment.

That's the "old" place, started by some "old" guy, isn't it.

Nah! It's not a "happening" enough place. Ei$ner has decided that Disneyland isn't really where it's at anymore. And it certainly is not reflective of Walt. So, he's going to hold the 100 year birthday party at… DCA, of course!! Just the kind of place Walt would have wanted.

Look for the 'grizzly bear' to be painted 'Pepto Bismol' pink, with a giant candle sticking out of its mouth!;)

Didn't they just put up a bunch of banners throughout Disneyland that say "Where the Magic Began"? I think that while they will be centering the celebration at DCA, the entire Disneyland Resort (which I think Walt would approve of -at least in as much that it pushed back a bit of the neon jungle he hated so much, and helped to beautify Anaheim) will be included. And I certainly think that the notion that Disneyland will be demolished is pretty absurd. (man, you need a slow drip of WDW... your condition is getting worse as the memory of that last visit wears off)
I'm not trying to start a fight, but it seems that the board is sinking back into that negative swirl again. It almost looks like certain posters have ready-made jabs waiting to post as responses to every new post... but I won't name any names.
;)

Kungaloosh.

There are a bunch of 'Where the Magic Began' banners, but so far, I haven't heard any real rumors of what they've got planned for the 100th.

Sarangel

I'm not trying to start a fight, but it seems that the board is sinking back into that negative swirl again.
Just trying to have a little fun on a slow news day.

That's why we like when you post. You add a needed balance.
And I certainly think that the notion that Disneyland will be demolished is pretty absurd.
Where'd you get that from? But it did lead to the next sentence that really sent me!!
man, you need a slow drip of WDW... your condition is getting worse as the memory of that last visit wears off
LOL!! LOL!! LOL!! I love it!! Keep on posting!! ;)

I guess I don't post often enough for everyone to realize that I had tongue firmly planted in cheek. While I enjoyed DCA, it doesn't compare to the original. I did, however, upgrade our passes to 2-park premiums, from the one park. Soarin' was great, Rapids was a good ride, but without enough theming (theme-ing?), and Screamin' was fun (I don't recall reading in any post that it had music, which I think adds a great deal to a coaster). The food places are okay (and Epcot-ish), and there are great places to eat. But Disneyland (and the WDW MK) is my first love.

Gary

P.S. I got my "Where the Magic Began" T-Shirts on my last trip, May 20.... When I proposed to my sweetheart, inside the Grand Californian!.

Your're right SafariSteve! People love to get negative on this board.

Maybe they should change the name to "Bash Disney Board" or the "Debate Board II" instead of the Rumors and News Board.

As far as I know, the banners are about as much as Disneyland’s going to get. There will be a minor character parade, but the dimes from the wishing wells are going to feed the California Adventure sink hole so there isn’t any money left for stuff like “an old guy’s” celebration. A while I ago, I heard a rumor that another BAH was supposed to built in the plaza at Disneyland for the anniversary, but was cancelled due to costs and some horrified reactions from WDI about blocking the view of the castle down Main Street.

And I do not have a whole list of ready-made Disney bashes. I’ve programmed a macro in Microsoft Word to generate them on the fly…

As far as I know, the banners are about as much as Disneyland’s going to get.
You know, when I first posted it was tongue in cheek, as I hadn’t yet heard what gala festivities Disney had planned for Disneyland – the true home of Walt. So, I thought I’d have a little fun with the topic before Another Voice came in and told us all what wonderful things were actually planned. I figured it had to GREAT, WONDERFUL, STUPENDOUS, etc. Whatever it was, I was sure it would blow away whatever they had planned for MGM and WDW.

WOW!!! Imagine my surprise. Though in retrospect I should have known better. It’s just Ei$ner being Ei$ner. And once again, NOT GETTING IT!!!

And I do not have a whole list of ready-made Disney bashes. I’ve programmed a macro in Microsoft Word to generate them on the fly…
AV: You are a true genius!!! ;)

I know it was just a bit of figurative language, but I just wanted to clear this up for others who may have taken the wishing well comment literally. The coins removed from wishing wells, fountains, and the Swiss Family/Tarzan treehouses go to charity. Here in FL, it goes to support Give Kids the World, but I'm not sure exactly which charity gets the CA monies, probably Make a Wish, I don't know, but I do know that it isn't used as profit. (Disney gets a tax deduction, Boo!)
;)
It does upset me that Disneyland won't be as much of a focus this year, but then again, shouldn't MK be the focus here in FL? Maybe on Roy's 125th birthday (his 100th was a few years back.)
Kungaloosh!

Maybe they're having the celebration mostly at WDW because it is called "Walt Disney" World. I do agree that they should do somthing at DL also.

Thank you Mr. Safari. I, of course, meant my wishing well comment as nothing more than an exaggeration to make a point. Even I have enough faith left to hope that people don't believe that Disney takes those funds. The money from Disneyland goes to several charities in California, especially the Children’s Hospital of Orange County (CHOC).

It is very depressing that the company is pretty much ignoring the anniversary out here. From what I’ve been told, this is entire “event” was pretty much come from the Attractions group with no input from Corporate or Film (they don’t much seem to care). WDW seems to be having an annual celebration of some sort or the other just to give their marketing campaigns a coherent feel. Disneyland at this point simply doesn’t have the resources to do anything beyond survival advertising for California Adventure and simply seem to have “opted out” of the event. A true rehab of ‘The Walt Disney Story’ would have been nice, or even something as simple as letting guests into Walt’s apartment above the fire station. Instead, they’re choosing to give away free DCA tickets to people at California Angels games.

It’s no fun spiraling down towards negativity, but I have yet to find that branch to grab onto and pull myself out of the current.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!