What about our dues?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Today I noted the automatic withdrawal of our monthly dues payment. Wait a minute! I'm paying dues to a resort (actually we own at 3 resorts) that are closed?! I know that recently I got an Email from DVC that costs of running resorts may actually increase when they reopen (increased cleaning, etc.) so it makes sense-sort of. But it still kind of bothers me. Anyone else?

The properties still has to be maintained which falls on us the DVC owners. If they don't keep the properties up we wouldn't be able to enjoy them once they can be safely reopen. I would rather keep paying my dues now and possibly see a slight reduction down the road then get a slight reduction now and an increase later.

I paid for the year but I'm with you. Heck with DVC, take half my banked point and then you want all my dues? Here's half my due's thieves. :)

• Haha
Reactions: cm8
I expe first to still be paying our 2020 dues as I own it. As noted, they have agreed...which they don’t have to...to use any surplus to offset the actual amount an owner will pay for 2021 vs, just putting it in capital reserves.

I also am not counting on any surplus to be of substance either..if there is even one,

They actually said they would issue a refund for any reduced 2020 amount.
That may only be a technicality for any who sell, so 2020 owners get the benefit?

What has been said is that it will be used to reduce the payment amount on the 2021 dues...so anyone who sells a contract this year, will not receive the benefit...current owner of the contract will

In addition to what has already been posted in this thread, I wanted to add the following.

Some DVC members aren't affected personally by the current closure (at least not yet). It depends on how many trips we have planned this year and when they are booked.

I have two trips planned with my points this year - one in November for my niece and her family, and one for myself in December. I expect DVC will be open for both of these, so it never occurred to me to even think about a dues refund.

Based on the status of my health and what the park situation may be (including mask requirements), I may decide to make my trip a resort-only trip this year. Since I have many years left on my contract and I'm staying at Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani, I would be perfectly fine with no parks this year. There's plenty for me to do around the hotel and Disney World property (hello Disney Springs) without going into the parks.

Adding: this is just my situation and certainly doesn't mean there aren't plenty of members who will have difficulty using their points this year. I just wanted to add another viewpoint into the discussion.

There are still expenses to be paid. Taxes, building upkeep, some salaries, and so forth. A credit in the budget towards next years due seems like the most reasonable solution.

I would assume any charges for housekeeping and transportation to be credited back on our 2021 dues for those months Disney is closed.

I would expect housekeeping expense to go up post-reopen, as well as other property upkeep expenses. Reopening is going to be something of an expense. Hotel plumbing isn't built to be idle 2 months.

I doubt housekeeping will be fully credited, as I think Disney is still paying their health insurance, and as a previous poster said, there maybe a more a intensive cleaning regimen once the resorts reopen, dipping into the credit a bit. There should certainly be transportation refunds, possibly utility refunds, even though I'm sure AC and and appliances are running, but without doors constantly being opened and closed, it will take less power.

Last edited:
I would expect housekeeping expense to go up post-reopen, as well as other property upkeep expenses. Reopening is going to be something of an expense. Hotel plumbing isn't built to be idle 2 months.
I’m more worried about HVAC. If people aren’t triggering the motion-sensing thermostats, how much mold/mildew will be growing?

I’m more worried about HVAC. If people aren’t triggering the motion-sensing thermostats, how much mold/mildew will be growing?

inorite?!

Between getting the resorts back on line, and updated cleaning protocols, I would expect very little savings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!