What about our dues?

I’m more worried about HVAC. If people aren’t triggering the motion-sensing thermostats, how much mold/mildew will be growing?
I would hope that they had maintenance override the sensors when it became obvious the closure would be longer than 2 weeks.

If the virus only lives on surfaces for 2 weeks I do not understand how dangerous it will be cleaning the resorts after they have been empty for months. I am no doctor so maybe I am missing something.

What is so maddening is the CDC and doctors keep changing their opinions about the Covid 19 virus. It’s new, we dont really know how it will behave in the future. We do know it is not seasonal.

inorite?!

Between getting the resorts back on line, and updated cleaning protocols, I would expect very little savings.
I agree, the increased costs going forward will also most likely cause a larger than average increase in MF due to increasing staff to go around several times a day disinfecting touch points.

If the virus only lives on surfaces for 2 weeks I do not understand how dangerous it will be cleaning the resorts after they have been empty for months. I am no doctor so maybe I am missing something.
This is going to be the new "norm". Disinfecting touch points several times a day is not going to stop after this but will continue for the foreseeable future.

I agree, the increased costs going forward will also most likely cause a larger than average increase in MF due to increasing staff to go around several times a day disinfecting touch points.
I hope they actually do it and not just bill for it being done. The regular housekeeping has been slacking for some time now!

Another aspect I thought amount was they may need to increase transportation and have more buses coming to spread people out.

While the time of the closure may absorb a lot of it, I did wonder if they will increase that for 2021.

There are still expenses to be paid. Taxes, building upkeep, some salaries, and so forth. A credit in the budget towards next years due seems like the most reasonable solution.
Also, lets not forget that we are the owners. When you own something, the liability is yours as much as the benefits.

I would assume any charges for housekeeping and transportation to be credited back on our 2021 dues for those months Disney is closed.

Generally speaking we can probably make these assumptions:

- Resort expenses for Jan to mid-April* were on target
- Resort expenses for mid-April to June were lower than expected
- Resort expenses for July to December will be higher than expected

* Disney kept paying Cast Members' wages through April 19 and continues to pay for health insurance and some other benefits now. Those get charged to member dues.

The in-room housekeeping schedule will not change, but the time and effort required to sanitize each room between guests seems sure to increase. Resorts will have more staff wiping-down and maintaining public spaces. Buses, boats and monorails may run more frequently with lower maximum capacity.

Assuming the resorts open by July 1, we'll have at least a half year of these added measures. Honestly I'll be surprised if there is a noteworthy decline in 2020 dues. Maybe it will be enough to stave off the Covid-related increase as these practices continue into 2021.

Last edited:
Generally speaking we can probably make these assumptions:

- Resort expenses for Jan to mid-April* were on target
- Resort expenses for mid-April to June were lower than expected
- Resort expenses for July to December will be higher than expected

* Disney kept paying Cast Members' wages through April 19 and continues to pay for health insurance and some other benefits now. Those get charged to member dues.

The in-room housekeeping schedule will not change, but the time and effort required to sanitize each room between guests is sure to increase. Resorts will have more staff wiping-down and maintaining public spaces. Buses, boats and monorails will run more frequently with lower maximum capacity.

Assuming the resorts open by July 1, we'll have at least a half year of these added measures. Honestly I'll be surprised if there is a noteworthy decline in 2020 dues. Maybe it will be enough to stave off the Covid-related increase as these practices continue into 2021.

All good points and I think you are on target with all of your points. Unfortunately we will probably see an increase in dues for 2021. :guilty:

Elsewhere, I pointed out that in some cases staffing will increase. They will have staff at quiet pools to regulate capacity, for instance.

In the past, any 'left-over' budget money was transferred into the Capital Reserve Fund. DVC announced a few weeks ago that any under-budgeted funds would be returned to members as a credit on their 2021 maintenance fees, During the shut-down, landscaping and HVAC still had to be maintained and, going forward, there will likely be additional sanitizing equipment needed for housekeeping villas between guests. As already noted, transportation costs during the closure should result in savings, but reduced occupancy needing additional transport may have to be increased.

I am aware that management and maintenance personnel at all Disney resorts were tasked with entering ALL resort rooms daily, flushing toilets, turning on-and-off all lights and checking HVAC to make sure everything was still functioning normally. (That would not likely add any additional expense during the shutdown as those CMs were still being paid anyway.)

IMO, we will see a nominal credit as a result of savings made during the resort closures - likely a few cents per point credit for our 2021 maintenance fees.

Stay tuned! :)

In the past, any 'left-over' budget money was transferred into the Capital Reserve Fund. DVC announced a few weeks ago that any under-budgeted funds would be returned to members as a credit on their 2021 maintenance fees, During the shut-down, landscaping and HVAC still had to be maintained and, going forward, there will likely be additional sanitizing equipment needed for housekeeping villas between guests. As already noted, transportation costs during the closure should result in savings, but reduced occupancy needing additional transport may have to be increased.

I am aware that management and maintenance personnel at all Disney resorts were tasked with entering ALL resort rooms daily, flushing toilets, turning on-and-off all lights and checking HVAC to make sure everything was still functioning normally. (That would not likely add any additional expense during the shutdown as those CMs were still being paid anyway.)

IMO, we will see a nominal credit as a result of savings made during the resort closures - likely a few cents per point credit for our 2021 maintenance fees.

I agree the during the shutdown there would have been savings but going forward we are going to be hit with the next increase in dues to get the employees closer to $15.00 per hour and increased disinfecting of touch points and the cost of hand sanitizer stations.

I keep thinking about the “room available after 4”. Wonder if people won’t be able to get into their rooms until much later than usual if more deep cleaning is needed when the room turns over.

No comment just a hello!!!:wave:

I doubt housekeeping will be fully credited, as I think Disney is still paying their health insurance, and as a previous poster said, there maybe a more a intensive cleaning regimen once the resorts reopen, dipping into the credit a bit. There should certainly be transportation refunds, possibly utility refunds, even though I'm sure AC and and appliances are running, but without doors constantly being opened and closed, it will take less power.
I didn't know that other DVC resorts paid transportation costs as part of their dues line items! Pretty sure it is not a line item in my VGC dues, although we do pay for the parking lot in order for them to maintain it. Now I want to know if there are other differences between my resorts and the others ... (although HH/VB/Au would obviously not have transportation and likely have other costs ...).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!