What adult purchase really shocked you once you saw the price tag?

They don't do a service fee, but there is a minimum. The water price is the same throughout the county, but the sewer rates vary depending on where your waste is pumped. One town is 3x the price of another, so that's where the issues with being surprised by the pricing arise. You could move down the road and your bill go up or down drastically.

I made up a sample bill below of how they break it down.
According to google the average person uses 80-100 gallons of water per day, so I used 90 gallons per person times a family of 4 for the example bill below. 360 gallons per day x 60 days (bill comes every other month) = 21,600 gallons (I will acknowledge this is WAY more water than my family of 5 uses but I do have neighbors with smaller families who have bills in this range so it must average out for people who use more or less. Especially if you use water in your yard.)

Water minimum (up to 3000 gallons) $27.80
+ usage rate of $6.95 per additional 1000 gallons ($132.05) = $159.85

Sewer minimum (up to 3000 gallons) $65.08
+ usage rate of $12.35 per additional 1000 gallons ($234.65) = $299.73

Total bill = $459.58
Yeah that's just nuts!

Back to ambulances. Our facility would call families and say. Your family member is done at the hospital. Would you like to go get them. Like after Er or extended stay.
And they would say hmmmm have an ambulance bring them back and then if you knew about it you could share -that is not FREE service. And they were amazed.

And I only knew cause a family bitterly told any staff member they could about the bill.

My mom was amazed. I said “Mom after dad had his aortic aneurysm fixed in Chicago who brought him home?” She said ME. Viola not an ambulance.

Just looked at dog DNA tests. They're not cheap.
I think $50 for a DNA test is pretty reasonable for what it is (postage to/from, sample analyzed in lab, sent results).

I will acknowledge that it's a completely unnecessary purchase to spend $50 on. But I don't think it's more expensive than it should be for the service.

The cost to "set up house" for the first time: utility deposits, rent deposit, insurance, buying ALL the toiletries, pantry items, kitchen items needed to stock a home from scratch, plus furnishings. We were gifted most of our used furniture and it was still painful. I made sure my kids were well aware that they would need a "start up fund" when they got their first place.

Tires. The cost of decent all seasons offends me every time. I loathe spending money on something I will slowly leave behind me as I drive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!