What age to stop using stroller

APiratesLifeForMe2

DIS Veteran
We only have one child but another will be joining on our lager family trip this fall. They will be 3 and 5. Our child never uses a stroller at home but in Disney it’s too much walking and he enjoys the rest. I was thinking we should consider a double stroller for this trip but neither of us own one. Is it worth renting or buying a used one? Not sure if the 5 year old would be needing it or not.

Everyone is different but I think 5 is still stroller age 6+ is to the point of no stroller in my opinion.

I wouldn't go with a double stroller because its kinda big and bulky plus then one person has to try to maneuver it at a time.
Also what if one kid really needs to leave the park and the other is fine. Then one kid or the other has to be separated from the stroller.

Go with 2 singles and let the parents of each child push their own kid.

Everyone is different but I think 5 is still stroller age 6+ is to the point of no stroller in my opinion.

I wouldn't go with a double stroller because its kinda big and bulky plus then one person has to try to maneuver it at a time.
Also what if one kid really needs to leave the park and the other is fine. Then one kid or the other has to be separated from the stroller.

Go with 2 singles and let the parents of each child push their own kid.

Good idea. Why didn’t I think of that. They don’t have a stroller now but I can just leave it up to them to buy one or rent one.

Personally, I'd go with the double. We liked it better than trying two singles. Buying a used one is a good idea. We bought a used double off of Craigslist once for $50, used it for two weeks and then sold it to another family vacationing at WDW for $40.

As for what age, that's entirely up to you. We used them for our kids at WDW for a long time, and have no regrets.

I'd go with a double too. Only one person has to push, the other one can rest their arms a bit. Nicer to take turns pushing.

And I think most 5 year olds need a stroller at WDW. It is a massive amount of walking.

I'd get a single and let the other parents decide what they want to do for their own child. Realistically, you probably aren't going to be spending every second together, but a double would leave one of you without a stroller whenever someone wanted (or needed) to split up, and the other pushing a bully stroller, only half of which is being used.

So the 5 year old belongs to a different family that is going along with you? I would definitely not get a double stroller for 2 kids from different families! I would say each worry about your own kid! It probably depends on the child whether they would still need a stroller at age 5. We just came back from a trip and this was the first time we didn't take a stroller along. My son is 5 (almost 6) and he did awesome, but we walked an average of 11 miles a day for 9 days straight and my son is extremely high energy so it was no issue for him but a child that is NOT high energy would probably have a really hard time with it. My 10 year old niece was also along with us and she really struggled to keep up with us.

So the 5 year old belongs to a different family that is going along with you? I would definitely not get a double stroller for 2 kids from different families! I would say each worry about your own kid! It probably depends on the child whether they would still need a stroller at age 5. We just came back from a trip and this was the first time we didn't take a stroller along. My son is 5 (almost 6) and he did awesome, but we walked an average of 11 miles a day for 9 days straight and my son is extremely high energy so it was no issue for him but a child that is NOT high energy would probably have a really hard time with it. My 10 year old niece was also along with us and she really struggled to keep up with us.

yes, the 5 year old is with my sister in law and her boyfriend. I’m not sure why I was thinking we needed a double vs two singles. Probably because I just envisioned them not planning for a stroller and then it somehow being my problem because I only have space for my child and it becoming a fight to share it. (I made this so complicated in my head) They can just rent one if they don’t plan and he needs/wants one.

yes, the 5 year old is with my sister in law and her boyfriend. I’m not sure why I was thinking we needed a double vs two singles. Probably because I just envisioned them not planning for a stroller and then it somehow being my problem because I only have space for my child and it becoming a fight to share it. (I made this so complicated in my head) They can just rent one if they don’t plan and he needs/wants one.

Yeah not your problem.
Not sure if they have been before.
You could just mention its a ton of walking even for an adult so they may want to considering bringing or renting a stroller in the parks.
That's about as much responsibility you have here.
Whatever they choose to do is up to them and there will be no blaming or arguing about who gets to sit in YOUR stroller.
You would have warned them and that stroller is for your child.

When our older two were just getting out of strollers, we used two umbrella strollers and bought connecting devices so one person could push them but we could separate them if needed. The connectors were from babiesrus. They weren’t as stable a double stroller, but they worked fine for strollers that weren’t in heavy use.

We didn't use one this past yr for ds7 but he complained a ton about having to walk. He was just too tall for a stroller. We just had to slow down and take breaks. Like when you're grandma is walking with you.

Yeah not your problem.
Not sure if they have been before.
You could just mention its a ton of walking even for an adult so they may want to considering bringing or renting a stroller in the parks.
That's about as much responsibility you have here.
Whatever they choose to do is up to them and there will be no blaming or arguing about who gets to sit in YOUR stroller.
You would have warned them and that stroller is for your child.

If they are touring together it will be their problem. One little one walking sloooowly will affect everyone.

Been there, rented the stroller to fix the problem.

My grandon had one at 5, I went with just him last October at 6 and no stroller. It’s dependent on the kid, but I wasn’t about to lug a stroller around. He did fine, outlasted me! I did rent one for MNSSHP, but found his head hit the top and he had to scrunch down, so I used it to lug stuff around. Had I not been alone with him, wouldn’t have needed it. We probably could’ve done away with it earlier, but his mom liked the convenience. I hate them. The on and off the busses, stopping to park it, pick it back up...it’s a pain and I’m glad we’re past that stage!

If they are touring together it will be their problem. One little one walking sloooowly will affect everyone.

Been there, rented the stroller to fix the problem.

I agree, when you are traveling with someone, their problems are yours.

OP- I am in the minority, but I would rent from Disney when you need a stroller and I would rent the double. They are not the most comfortable, but my girls were all fine in one. They steer easily. The best part is that you dump them before you leave the park. You do not need to cart them on transportation, and you only get them when necessary. I htink my DD bought the stroller pass for a specific number of times, (it was less expensive as you increased the number of days) but I am not sure if it works that way any longer.

My grandon had one at 5, I went with just him last October at 6 and no stroller. It’s dependent on the kid, but I wasn’t about to lug a stroller around. He did fine, outlasted me! I did rent one for MNSSHP, but found his head hit the top and he had to scrunch down, so I used it to lug stuff around. Had I not been alone with him, wouldn’t have needed it. We probably could’ve done away with it earlier, but his mom liked the convenience. I hate them. The on and off the busses, stopping to park it, pick it back up...it’s a pain and I’m glad we’re past that stage!

This is why we always rented in WDW. No way was I going to drag a stroller in and out of busses, around a resort, or on the monorail. We would gift it to another family when we left the park.

This is why we always rented in WDW. No way was I going to drag a stroller in and out of busses, around a resort, or on the monorail. We would gift it to another family when we left the park.

When he was very little, the park rentals didn’t work. He’s been going since he was 4 months old. We just thought they were so uncomfortable looking, no trays and no separate storage areas and significantly higher priced. When we had the whole family going, getting it on and off the bus wasn’t a big deal, but trying to corral a tired kid, all our stuff and a stroller was more than I wanted to tackle on my own. Never mind, having one at the resort and other places we went was convenient. I’m just glad to be rid of them altogether.

When he was very little, the park rentals didn’t work. He’s been going since he was 4 months old. We just thought they were so uncomfortable looking, no trays and no separate storage areas and significantly higher priced. When we had the whole family going, getting it on and off the bus wasn’t a big deal, but trying to corral a tired kid, all our stuff and a stroller was more than I wanted to tackle on my own. Never mind, having one at the resort and other places we went was convenient. I’m just glad to be rid of them altogether.
AT that age we never would have rented as well. DGD was 4, and she was cozy in the stroller. A baby? No we would have wanted her own With the tray and the ability to let her lie flat to sleep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter