What age to stop using stroller

If they are touring together it will be their problem. One little one walking sloooowly will affect everyone.

Been there, rented the stroller to fix the problem.
Exactly my point. It's the problem of the other parents to rent a stroller not the OP's problem to provide anything.
So when they cannot keep up they can split.

At 5 3/4 we did not use a stroller at WDW, and much younger at DL.

It depends on your touring style and your child's temperament and stamina. I personally prefer the freedom of not having a stroller. We would rope drop, spend 4-5 hours in the park and then went back to the hotel to rest/swim. It worked for us.

In your situation I would not get a double.

I also would not do the double stroller. I haven’t heard anyone mention it, but what about one of those strollers where the bigger kid can stand on the back? I have never used one so IDK, maybe it’s a pain. Personally, after age 4 we never used them but I had energetic athletic children that were used to the fast pace of Disney. We have seen many older children in them (as old as 8-9) so it depends on the kid and what their stamina is+how well they listen. Would hate to loose a 5yo

Last edited:
Rent a double. The kids can walk when they want and take a rest and sit in the shade when they get tired (which they inevitably will). And it's great to have somewhere to put your stuff, and to save your back from having to carry a backpack. A double stroller is also a good spot for the kids to sit when watching a parade.

2 strollers, so that way if you want to do different things and then meet back up you can.

Based on the evidence of the past weekend. people keep their kids in strollers up until age, I dunno, 9! We were there with a 5 & 7 year old and had never considered having a stroller as we don't own one anymore, and thought it would be a pain to drag around. Having seen many people struggling with strollers on transportation and in the parks, I definitely would never recommend one for a kid over age 4 unless they aren't used to walking at all.

We had to put the 5 year old on our shoulders a couple of times, and on our "late" (9pm) day I took her back to the hotel for some downtime in the afternoon. Other than that it wasn't a problem for them to keep up on our pretty vigorous schedule. The 5 year old complained a few times, so we found ways for her to get little breaks while in lines, gave a few shoulder rides (as mentioned) and took her to shows when her brother was running all over doing Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. We also did Disneyland without a stroller when they were 3 & 5, but obviously that's easier (and she got a lot of shoulder rides then).

Based on the evidence of the past weekend. people keep their kids in strollers up until age, I dunno, 9! We were there with a 5 & 7 year old and had never considered having a stroller as we don't own one anymore, and thought it would be a pain to drag around. Having seen many people struggling with strollers on transportation and in the parks, I definitely would never recommend one for a kid over age 4 unless they aren't used to walking at all.

We had to put the 5 year old on our shoulders a couple of times, and on our "late" (9pm) day I took her back to the hotel for some downtime in the afternoon. Other than that it wasn't a problem for them to keep up on our pretty vigorous schedule. The 5 year old complained a few times, so we found ways for her to get little breaks while in lines, gave a few shoulder rides (as mentioned) and took her to shows when her brother was running all over doing Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. We also did Disneyland without a stroller when they were 3 & 5, but obviously that's easier (and she got a lot of shoulder rides then).

I'm not a big fan of shoulder rides. I've seen to many people grabbing at their kids to keep them from falling. And there was the time when my brother in law walked my nephew into a low hanging sign at WDW. A stroller is much easier on the adult than a shoulder ride, imho.

We only have one child but another will be joining on our lager family trip this fall. They will be 3 and 5. Our child never uses a stroller at home but in Disney it’s too much walking and he enjoys the rest. I was thinking we should consider a double stroller for this trip but neither of us own one. Is it worth renting or buying a used one? Not sure if the 5 year old would be needing it or not.
I would rent the double stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts