What are some good activities for FIL to do while at Disney (he's not a park person)?

Clover9990

<font color=336699>Let me know where we can get so
My in-laws are coming with us on a several day trip to WDW the end of next month, and he's not a big park person. We *might* be able to squeeze one day at the MK out of him, but that's probably it. He's in his upper 60's and has had numerous heart attacks, so it's not like he can do anything too terribly adventurous (like parasailing, etc.) He's not a tennis/golf type of guy, either.

So what else is there for him to do? Like I said, he isn't crazy about being on his feet all day, much less in the parks on his feet all day, so besides lounging by the pool, what other things are there for him to do? We're staying at the Contemporary if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for any of your ideas!

He could take some of the behind the scenes tours.

He could explore the resorts.

He could enjoy a day of the various transportations between parks and resorts.

He could have a spa day at GF.

I would also encourage him to visit the parks and do his own thing. There is alot to see and appreciate at a quiet pace. I would think Epcot and the world showcase would be great for him.

I say give him a good book to read and park him in a rocker on the public verandah at AKL to watch the animals! That would be my hubby's idea of fun at the World LOL!!

Or park him in the shade by your resort pool and let him people watch.

Other than that, the suggestions of tours is a good one.

Thanks so much for your advice!! I don't think the spa would be up his alley (he's one of those Good Ol' Southern Boys! ;)), and I don't think the tours would interest him much (well- maybe the steam engine one??), but checking out the different resorts might. I think the Wilderness Lodge would be right up his alley from what I've heard, although I've never seen it myself. You know, I'm not even sure my in-laws have ever been to EPCOT! I think he'd like it, too. I guess we'll just play it by ear, but I hate to think of him being on his own when we're off frolicking in the parks, LOL!! (Yes, I know, he's a grown man, but still...)

Thanks for the suggestions! :) Keep 'em comin'!

Originally posted by DMRick
park him in a rocker on the public verandah at AKL to watch the animals! That would be my hubby's idea of fun at the World LOL!!

That does sound like my FIL's idea of a relaxing day, too- thanks so much for the suggestion! :)

Don't know what you'd think about these but....

1.) AMC theater at DTD

2.) Relaxing at a water park......could just enjoy wave pool or the lazy river...

3.) Fishing Excursions (they're offered at several resorts....check out this link... http://wdwig.com/fish.htm

4.) Renting a Pontoon or sailboat for an hour or so on The Seven Seas Lagoon. I think they also have canoes at Ft. Wilderness

5.) Take him to Epcot and have him eat or better yet drink his way around the world

6.) What about taking him to Hoop-de-Doo or Poly Luau?

7.) Horseback riding at Ft. Wilderness

8.) Go on an Illuminations Cruise

9.) Make sure to include some great resort buffets like 'Ohana and/ or Boma

10.) What about the Comedy Warehouse or Adventurer's Club at Pleasure Island. He could sit the entire time.

11.) Do you think you could get him interested in something like Pin Trading?

I'll keep thinking.....

I'm with bweagle, he might like a fishing day. I think he'd like Epcot too.

If being on his feet all day is a big issue, do you think he would go for one of the electric scooter type things? He could then do the parks in his own way. Bet there are things at Epcot and Ak that he would love.Bet he is thinking park=rides and does not realize there is so much more. You have lots of good ideas. Bet he could spend a lot of time at FW too. Hope everyone has fun.

Jordan's mom

Gee, doesn't like golf, doesn't like the parks, can't do anything too strenuous! Perhaps he could catch a movie in Downtown Disney Westside, or sit in the lobby and people watch. He could ride the monorail and get off and see the other monorail resorts, or take the water taxis from one resort to another. There is a great game room at the Contemporary, if he likes video games and kids..lol! There is also a bar on the 4th floor with big screen TV's. He doesn't have to drink, but he can enjoy the big screen TV while he is there. Maybe he would like to go fishing? At night you could visit PI, and he may enjoy the Adventurer's Club or the Comedy Warehouse.

But lounging around the pool all day sounds fine, too. That is what my brother and his wife did when they were in WDW, and there is nothing wrong with their health.

Wow- you guys are GREAT! Thank you sooo much for the ideas!

The electric scooter is probably in FIL's best interests, but he is an ox, to say the least- his motto is "get busy living or get busy dying", so I know he wouldn't go for that (but thanks so much- it really is a great idea!) I agree with you, Jordansmom- he probably DOES think that parks are just for rides and doesn't realize there is so much more to them!

The fishing excursions sound like something my FIL will definitely want to do. I checked out the site that you linked, Bweagle, and one of the fishing things listed sounds perfect for him! The AMC theater idea sounds great, too- I should send my DH and him out to the movies one night for some father-son time...Lord only knows when my FIL last stepped foot inside of a movie theater! They'd both really enjoy that. I think he'd really love the comedy club, too! Unfortunately, we don't really have them $$$ to do anything like Hoop-De-Doo (my in-laws do, of course, LOL- but not us), although I heard it's great and it sounds like something that we would ALL enjoy! Maybe next time...

Thanks again, everyone- I really do appreciate ALL of your wonderful ideas!! :teeth:

Disnee Dad Says.................................He should like much of EPCOT as some of the "rides aren't really rides. And when he gets to the point of "what the heck am I doing here at EPCOT", have him take the boat to the Boardwalk, with luck he can go to the ESPN club, knock down a few and watch a game!
Fishing sounds great.
Have him rent a water sprite, at ??? GF or Boardwalk. They go pretty fast, AND no one has to see him have fun so he can cut loose!
Off site, maybe an everglades tour. He could be like Dennis Weaver!
There is something at every park.
MGM. The great movie ride at 2 mph, Backlot tour at 3 mph, Who wants to be a Millionaire at 0 mph! lol Fantasmic.
EPCOT. World Showcase, many different beers from around the world and American Showcase, with Voices of Liberty and American Vybe, the movies, Taiko drummers, China has Acrobats, the living statues, the boats across the lake, and he must ride Spaceship Earth!
MK. You already said you'll get a day out him there!

I agree with Disneefamily... EPCOT has alot of rides that aren't really rides. Spaceship Earth, The Living Seas, The Land and Universe of Energy are all great attractions that basically entail sitting and watching a cool show.

I bet he would really enjoy The American Adventure.... a phenomenal show about our nation's history. The Chinese Acrobats are amazing and the living statues are great too. Mexico has a really neat boat ride that goes behind their restaurant (I'm still humming the song to that ride, three months later!). He could also ride a peaceful boat to and from Future World - World Showcase.

I'm getting exciting just thinking about it! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Talk to your FIL about the ECV's. My Mom has mobility and stamina issues. When we went as a family the first time (1999), we discussed it up front a few times and broached the topic and let her think about it.

I did not want her to rent a wheelchair because I could just picture my Dad saying (at the top of an incline) I hope I don;t let go!

The ECV gave her independence, mobility, allowed her to get around the parks all day and enjoy herself. It took awhile for her to get used to the idea, but now she loves the freedom.

I received lots of good information on the DISability board. Mom felt funny the first time or two getting an ECV, but now she knows she needs one and she loves the ability to be independent and get around.

So keep trying with your FIL. I understand the mentality, but play up the kid angle. The kids would love to spend more time with grandad and share the magic of the days. (And you must need a cameraman, right? ;))

Good luck! (And we did the fishing from the BW last time. Awesome trip!)

Just to let you know that there is also the option of fishing quietly on the canals throughout FW. Rods and bait etc. can be hired there for next to nothing. My parents aren't park people either and they really enjoyed just relaxing in the peaceful surroundings.

Ona ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts