What are your favorite things to do in Outer Banks?

laurajetter

Mouseketeer<br><Font color="red">The Tag Fairy thi
My family is taking our second trip to OBX this summer. First time we went our DSs were 7 and 3, now they are 13 and 9. We had stayed in a Kitty Hawk house rental which we loved, and will be staying there again. I know there are so many things to do, and we unfortunately have a tendency to repeat our experiences when we go to the same location. I know we might still repeat a couple favorites, but I'm looking for new ideas!

What are some of your family favorites? It can be touristy or it can be as simple as a favorite beach you like to go to for finding seashells. I will say that the boys are at an age where they probably would like more active things to do vs. historical things. Below is a list of things we've already done:

- visited Wright Brothers memorial and museum + flew kites there

- swam in ocean at Jennette's Pier and had an overly basic (i.e. kiddish) fishing lesson there. Do you have other suggestions for favorite swimming spots in the ocean?

- attempted to go line crabbing (had fun, but the crabs weren't cooperating and we didn't catch any!)

- visited Kitty Hawk Kites

- Walked out on Jockey's Ridge for a little bit (we went across the street from Kitty Hawk Kites, not sure if there is another entry area with a different perspective?)

- Walked the boardwalk at sunset in Duck, had dinner on deck. Didn't try the donuts, maybe this time we will?

- Took the ferry with our car over to Ocracoke, went to Blackbeard museum and ate dinner at a restaurant. We liked the area, but felt like we didn't know exactly where to go or what else to do and ended up missing a lot of it. Any recommendations for other things to do there?

- Walked along the sound near our Kitty Hawk house rental... are there other nice areas to visit on the sound side?

Thanks for any suggestions!!

We did the creatures of the night program at jennette's pier. It's only $5 a person. It was a fun program.

Manteo is a nice place to visit. Some cute shops. We ate at poor Richards sandwich shop. There's a small aquarium over that way also.

I'd also recommend the nags head pizza company. So good.

We like to fly kites at Jockey's Ridge. You can park at Kitty Hawk Kites and walk across, or you can use park entrance near the visitor's center which is on the same side of the road as the dune a bit before you get there (coming from Kitty Hawk/KDH), I think it is Carolista Drive. It isn't nearly as steep if you go in from that side.

We like to visit Manteo for an afternoon, go Bodie Lighthouse, drive up to the Currituck Lighthouse at Corolla

Definitely go to Duck Donuts! There are a few locations, you don't have to go all the way to Duck to get them, although that one is our favorite.

Chase the ghost crabs on the beach at night with flashlights

You can rent kayaks to go out in the sound (or ocean, if you're brave enough...I'm not) for a few hours, or you can do a kayak tour through Kitty Hawk Kites or other places

Laser Tag on a rainy afternoon, my kids prefer Gearworks. We like to play mini golf, our favorite is Mutiny Bay but there are a few others. The Peace Frogs yogurt place has bumper boats that look fun.

There is also the ropes course at First Flight Adventure Park that looks like a lot of fun.

We took beginner hang gliding lessons at Jockey’s Ridge and had a blast. For someone afraid of heights, it’s not as bad as it sounds. You stay close to the ground and land on the soft sand dunes.

We also enjoyed a wild horse tour (in a jeep) out of Corolla.

Drive on the beach (#jeeplife)

Drive as far north as you can to Corolla. Drive on the beach to the VA line and see the horses.

We did the creatures of the night program at jennette's pier. It's only $5 a person. It was a fun program.
i like the sound of this... is the program geared toward little kids, older kids, all ages?

Drive on the beach (#jeeplife)

Drive as far north as you can to Corolla. Drive on the beach to the VA line and see the horses.
Wish we could, seems like so much fun... We only have a mini-van, we’d never make it through, lol!

i like the sound of this... is the program geared toward little kids, older kids, all ages?
All ages. My kids were 9 and 11 almost 12 at the time. There were younger ones too. And the parents of course. There was a short program inside where they talked about nocturnal animals and then as the sun was setting, everyone got a bucket, a net, and a flashlight and went out to catch some ghost crabs. (The crabs were released.) We really had fun.

Lost Colony outdoor drama

Climb the Hatteras lighthouse

Kiteboarding on the sound
Oh yes, I forgot... we did see the Lost Colony outdoor drama!

We almost climbed one of the lighthouses but weren't expecting the cost and ended up just taking pics but not climbing it. What is it like (long crowds, waiting, strenuousness level, etc?). Also, is there a reason you recommended the Hatteras lighthouse vs. other lighthouses you can climb?

For me Hatteras was nostalgia. It's iconic. I had never been but I grew up in NC and when I was in grade school we participated in the campaign to save the lighthouse as it had to be moved inland due to erosion.

The wait wasn't long. They send you up in groups. We got our tickets then toured another building on property for the brief time before our tour.

We did not find it physically difficult. If you're claustrophobic I'd skip it. It's hot and narrow. But it's lovely at the top.

We usually stay in Corolla so our stuff might not work for you... I like going to the Currituck lighthouse, there is a nice wooded walking trail in Corolla, and also the 4x4 beach -- if you don't have a 4x4 vehicle, there are guided Jeep tours you can book to look for the horses. Also Duck Donuts. Since it will be summer/busy season you need to get there super early or be willing to wait in a long line.

As far as out by the main land, we took our kids to the NC Aquarium one year and enjoyed that. We went at Halloween and they did a trick-or-treating thing there which was really cool (not applicable for you, but just mentioned it because I think they are a cool aquarium).

The Outer Banks... ahhhhh - the pride of my great state. Take a 4-wheel tour of Corolla to see the wild ponies. Or do my favorite thing at the Outer Banks, ocean gazing/sitting/enjoying.

We went once, in the summer of 2007, and stayed in Corolla.

The Center for Wildlife Education in Corolla was kinda cool. When we went, they were doing this program called "Wild Nights" where you went out on the beach to investigate local wildlife. We got a chance to check out the ghost crabs.

We also went to the NC Aquarium on Roanoke Island.

Ate at a few local restaurants. The Tomato Patch in Corolla was our favorite.

Spent a lot of time on the beach, so I don't remember doing many other activities.

Our favorites at the OBX:

Siting around enjoying the view. Whether it be on the balcony or the beach. Surprisingly, it's usually the balcony (we get oceanfront or one with a great view). Most the times we don't sit on the beach, we just walk it in the morning and evening.

Enjoy the pool. I know we are at the beach, but we enjoy lounging in/by the pool. We will go to the ocean and put our feet in, but enjoy the relaxation of the pool more nowadays.

Eat. We have some favorite restaurants (spankys, high cotton, Jolly Roger are our top 3), but we also like to cook. We'll usually do a brunch day. Mimosas, ribeyes, seafood, breakfast meats, eggs, potatoes are on the menu. We love it. Usually we do some grilling, and have to have shrimp Alfredo (get the shrimp from Austins usually).

We've been to the OBX probably around 30 times, and we haven't done many attractions. We've been to Ocracoke (it is ok, but most love it), the lighthouses (not a fan of heights), and some shopping areas (Manteo/timbuk 2), but we really just like enjoying the relaxation.

- Walked the boardwalk at sunset in Duck, had dinner on deck. Didn't try the donuts, maybe this time we will?

Jockey’s Ridge at Sunset - gorgeous.

OBX is a family favorite and has become an annual tradition for us!!

Duck donuts are yummy!! They have locations in Nags Head & Kill Devil Hills too!!

Jockey's Ridge is AMAZING!! We usually go there in the evening as it's too hot to walk in the sand in the afternoon in the summer!

The Outer Banks... ahhhhh - the pride of my great state

We LOVE OBX!!:love: Lucky you to be so close!! :)

When my kids were younger, we visited the Roanoke Island Festival Park in Manteo. They have a recreation of a 16th-century ship that you can board, living history demonstrators like a blacksmith and woodworkers and a museum where the kids got to try on period costumes. They really enjoyed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter