What are your thoughts on Tyler on the Disneyland podcasts?

Valencia Joe

Mouseketeer
I am wondering what your opinion is of Tyler and his girlfriend (?) Katrina as new members of the Disneyland podcast.

Personally, I do not like them. Tyler comes across as arrogant in his approach and the way he talks. He dominates the conversation. Katrina... well, she does offer a good perspective for those with food allergies... but other than that, meh. I watched the podcast/VLOG on the best quick service places at Disneyland, and I felt really sorry for Mary Jo and Tom as Tyler and Katrina basically dominated the discussion.

I really miss the old group of Tom, Michael, Mary Jo, Nancy and Tony.

Remember this is my opinion. Maybe they will grow on me; but for now, bring back the old group.

What are your thoughts on them?

I think Tyler and Katrina are great additions to the Dis. They offer great tips and advice. They both have great personalities. Keep the Tyler and Katrina vlogs coming, I really enjoy them. I also like when Tyler visits Florida and is on the news show and when he did the 7 in 7 resort episodes.

My thoughts? Damn, that was harsh. Do you really think this is a forum to bash people and say they are arrogant? Yes, it's YOUR opinion and you have a right to state it. But shoot, be nice.

I was nice... LOL. It is my opinion that he comes across that way to me. Saying that someone comes across as arrogant is not bashing a person. It is the way he is coming across on the podcasts and VLOGS. The perception of his dialogue being arrogant does not mean that he is arrogant as a person. I am no way judging a person personally, but judging the style of presentation.

I wish this could have been a constructive thread about the DL content because there are real issues, like that the ITunes feed has been broken for weeks, the B&W feels and looks rough and our main show is still being tweak by elves apparently.
Man, there was something so special about the passion the original team had for DL. I just felt that deep love, the intricate knowledge everytime they spoke.
I think it was an unintentional change he started hosting DL content instead of Tom. It would be like if Craig took over hosting the Orlando and the Dreams show, while manning the production while Pete and John just sat at the table. If you want the show to grow, it should have a quality producer and an engaging host! Tom should be hosting and running the tempo and dialogue on all DL shows while Tyler focuses on the producing a high quality product.
I think Tyler can be a great producer but we need the rest of our DL team for the magic and chemistry to work again.
I really wish Pete would reach out to the DL fan base, to get feedback from us specifically. It doesn't feel like he "gets" us. It feels like DL content for the WDW fan. I wish he come to our board and engage with us and say, what are the DL fans excited about? What do you want to see more of? If you aren't listening, why not?

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Tyler and Katrina. Sorry, but the original team suffered from no one taking a lead role. There was always so much dead air and long pauses. Tyler knows how to keep things flowing. Tom lacks charisma, and although he provides good information, I have a hard time not falling asleep while he talked. Tyler bring much needed energy and enthusiasm, IMO.

I'm a big fan of Tyler and Katrina. Sorry, but the original team suffered from no one taking a lead role. There was always so much dead air and long pauses. Tyler knows how to keep things flowing. Tom lacks charisma, and although he provides good information, I have a hard time not falling asleep while he talked. Tyler bring much needed energy and enthusiasm, IMO.
Respectfully disagree. I always thought any pauses were due to Skype issues. It didn’t bother me, anyway, because I usually listened live, and the imperfections were part of the podcast’s charm.

Tom is an awesome host, and he has done a great job corralling the strong personalities on the show.

In case anyone is keeping track, I miss the old team and hope they all return when the hiatus is over.

I didn’t even know that there were new episodes. I keep checking my iTunes feed and nothing new has shown up there for a long time except for one episode that didn’t work and another that had horrible sound quality and didn’t seem to have anyone from the original team. Maybe Tom was there? I didn’t listen to the whole thing because the sound quality was so poor, and I had a hard time following it.

I too am missing our DL team! I hope they are back soon!

I very much enjoyed the banter between the old/orignalbteam ... at the same time I really like Tyler and enjoy his Vlogs - h just comes of food like a legit fan that is excited to be in thebparks - but also will point out things that standout to him/have a bit of a critical eye

And Katrina seems really nice and does bring the perspective of someone with dietary challenges. They just seem like they would be fun to hange our with

I also like Tyler’s retro video game Vlogs

Might take time for the new panel to find their grove but personally I see Tyler as a net positive overall

I'm indifferent. Tyler and Katrina are not my favorites from The Dis but they're certainly not my least favorites. I typically don't watch the Disneyland videos because I have never been/don't plan on going anytime soon. I really just stick to the WDW stuff. Now, I like Tyler a lot more when he is with a group of the guys like in the new 7 on 7 resort reviews that have been going up this week. That being said, the recent vlog about Port Orleans French Quarter with just Charles and him was pretty boring. They need someone with a bigger personality (Pete, Ryno, etc.) to help balance them out. Overall, I think Tyler makes a good addition to the group, but there is definite room for improvement (as with anything).

I never watch the Disneyland show. But when I’ve seen Tyler on some of the 7 for 7’s and dining shows, I’ve liked him a lot. He is quite comfortable and talented in front of the camera. He communicates like a pro - no “ah’s” and “um’s” like a lot of the others. He always has a clear thought/comment and appears to be well prepared. ... I’ve never heard of Katrina before - so I have no insight there.

I think the rest of the team could actually learn a lot from Tyler. I’d say my favorites right now are Pete, John, Kevin, and Tyler.

I’d also give a lot of credit to the rest of the group - Charles, Sean, Ryno, Craig, and the “part-timers” (Julie, Teresa, Kathy, Mike Bowling, etc). Pardon if I’ve forgotten someone. ... I’ve been in broadcasting for 20+ years and it’s far more challenging than you’d ever think. It takes a lot of preparation and practice. They all do a pretty good job - all things considered.

Most of my criticisms are more technical (those terrible in-Park segments with all the bad video connnections, the awful audio during the dining shows, etc) or the occasional bad production decisions (the numerous show cancellations due to sickness, having to listen to the pitter-patter of dogs running around the studio, occasional unpreparedness of show rundown, etc). They’ve got to do a better job tightening up the ship.

I’m very appreciative of Pete and his entire team’s efforts. The bottom line is they do still entertain and inform me. And therefore, I will continue watching and enjoying until that is no longer the case.

One final thought: one of the secrets of this industry is to have big personalities. Consider Donald Trump - people either love him or hate him. There is no in-between. And THAT is why EVERYONE continues to pay attention to him and stay interested in EVERYTHING he says. Trump = ratings. ... So if Tyler truly is evoking such strong emotions by an alleged arrogance and such, then I think he’s going to be very successful in the long run. Pete and Kevin are easy to both love and hate, at times, for their arrogance and demeanor. But it’s one of the reasons I keep watching.

I do think Tyler is FAR better suited in the Orlando team. He writes for a Universal site for pete sakes. There was that vlog moment where Katrina weeps at seeing the MK castle, and it did made me feel her heart was in Orlando too, not at DL.
Can we pledge to just bring our old shows and our DL team back to Mixlr and get our ITunes feed fixed?
I'd really rather go back. Nothing I have seen has convinced what we will gain will make up for how much we lost.

Last edited:
I do think Tyler is FAR better suited in the Orlando team. He writes for a Universal site for pete sakes. There was that vlog moment where Katrina weeps at seeing the MK castle, and it did made me feel her heart was in Orlando too, not at DL.
Can we pledge to just bring our old shows and our DL team back to Mixlr and get our ITunes feed fixed?
I'd really rather go back. Nothing I have seen has convinced what we will gain will make up for how much we lost.
Definitely miss my Sunday nights with the podcast gang. Cleaning up after a big dinner while listening to the latest DLR news (and hilarious banter) was a highlight of my week.

I think Tyler does Universal Hollywood, not Universal Orlando. Big difference between those 2 parks, just like WDW and DLR. Plus, they live in Southern California.

I like them both and really appreciate their food reviews and other vlogs. They seem very genuine and excited. I like that. I do miss the Disneyland show and could really use it to help with our upcoming trip this summer. We have been once before and I have the Unofficial Guide and the boards, but I feel like I am going in blind a bit.

It always takes time for new members to gel.

I think the Best and Worst episodes so far haven’t flowed well and I think it’s due multiple things.
The camera angle isn’t very good. I’m guessing they are struggling for space but just two different angles to switch between would be better visually.

Audio wise I feel like they are scared to interrupt each other at times. I feel like if they were wearing headphones they would be able to sense when it’s okay to interrupt and sense when by just adding verbal agreements you are making the audio messy.

As a team I think they just need time to gel. They all have their strengths.

I have trouble critiquing anyone on the DIS simply because they are putting themselves out there into that position (actually, I believe Pete may have alluded to this in a recent Dis Unplugged episode, albeit a very subtle single sentence).

Sure, I know they have chosen to be in the public eye, but how can I find a dislike/displeasure when they are serving the Disney fan base community? I may have been too critical in previous posts, but I also needed to recognize I was overly judgemental.

I just find so many other Disney relevant items to discuss without going down the diatribe path.

I'm still adjusting to him. He is starting to grown on me. There isn't really any member that annoys me. When Steve first started he was just there. Didn't realize how much I appreciated him until he left. He left a huge hole. It has been great having him back. I think as the year goes on Tyler and Katrina will both grow on me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter