What Book Do You Recommend the Most?

Hisgirl

DIS Veteran
***that isn't about a murder?***

I loved Outlander but don't want to read a historical romance.

I want to read a can't-put-down book by a very talented author. Most writers over-write and I can't get past the first chapter. I enjoyed 'Wild' as she was a fantastic writer.

Please recommend a really great book I can take to the beach without it being a cheesy romance. Not really into mysteries or spy type books. Thank you!

Do you like historical fiction? If so, I just read “The Melody of the Soul”. LOVED it.

Most Terry Pratchett books.

Most Robert Harris books.

And... The Birds. That one above all others. It is TERRIFYING!

One book I was too scared to read: Jaws. It's just too much for me!

I loved The Time-Traveler's Wife (book, not the movie) it was a romance but not cheesy IMHO.

The Glass Castle was a very well-written memoir. And The Shining will always been my fave from the horror genre. Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari was the most interesting book I read last year. Other good ones I've read lately... The Book Thief, The Ocean at the End of the Lane, and 11/22/63.

I love taking about books! Can't wait to see what everyone else recommends

The Three Junes by Julia Glass
Man from Moscow by Amor Towles
Lianne Moriarity’s books are a good beach read

Anything written by Kristin Hannah is a page turner. It's also historical fiction, but not romance.

I also agree with low-key. 11/22/63 is on my list of all-time favorites.

I am fascinated by the Iditarod and found a book called Winterdance several years ago. It’s by Gary Paulson, who is best known as an author of juvenile fiction. This book is an account of his training for and running his first Iditarod. If you like memoirs, especially funny or heart touching accounts of a man and his dogs, you might like Winterdance.

Any novel by Author Dani Pettrey. If you like a good suspense/adventure read she delivers.

The Runaway Jury by John Grisham

I will echo @low-key and say 11/22/63
It might be my favourite Steven King book. Under the Dome is also amazing but is not a light airy read for the beach. It’s more of a hunker down for a cold winter kinda read lol

The books that I recommend the most to other people are:

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
His Majesty's Dragon - Naomi Novik
The Ancestor's Tale - Richard Dawkins (nonfiction)

The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simon.

It's set in Russia during WW2 - it *is* technically a romance, but it's more of an epic love story & is beautifully written.

Mists of the Serengeti by Leylah Attar

It's set in Africa & would probably be classified as contemporary fiction, possibly romance. The story is absolutely lovely & so evocative & lyrically written. There's romance w/ some action & adventure in it as well. The entire time I was reading it, I was thinking, "This should be a movie!"

It's also one of the few books I've read where I thought the author went just a little too long - she had what I thought was the perfect ending, but continued writing a few more chapters before ending it. And it ended well - but there was a line earlier that I thought would have been the perfect closing line.

But the book was just beautiful.

I also have recently enjoyed The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver and The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin.

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. About his hiking the Appalachian Trail. Funny and entertaining, and better than the movie.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. DH, DS, DD, and I all enjoyed and we all read different types of books.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter