What Campgrounds do You Like As Much as the Fort?

Napria

It really *is* the Happiest Place!
We’re back into RVing and looking for campgrounds (RV Resorts) that have something special: nice atmosphere, nice location, beautiful sites, etc. So tell me what other Campgrounds you like and why? What’s special about it?

We live north of Atlanta and enjoy camping at the Corps of Engineers parks around Lake Lanier. The C.O.E. Parks on the south end of Lake Lanier, lake front are especially nice as the sites are generally spacious and pretty.

We haven’t been to the Fort yet to compare it to the other campgrounds that we have been to. We have really enjoyed the state parks here in Alabama. We live near Monte Sano and go there as our first trip each year. We also really like Meaher State Park near Mobile and Gulf State Park at Gulf Shores.

We haven’t been to the Fort yet to compare it to the other campgrounds that we have been to. We have really enjoyed the state parks here in Alabama. We live near Monte Sano and go there as our first trip each year. We also really like Meaher State Park near Mobile and Gulf State Park at Gulf Shores.

I used to love to go up to Monte Sano to relax when I was stationed at Huntsville. Was always a nice place to go.

I will second HsvScrapGirl's vote for Meaher SP.

I camped once at Meaher and would like to go back. It's down in Mobile, AL along Hwy 98 which parallels I-10 so it's an easy in/out and small but nice for travelers between New Orleans and Tallahassee. It's sitting out on Mobile Bay and with several good seafood restaurants within 2 miles on the Causeway (Hwy 98), you don't have to go far to find a good meal.

Meaher State Park link

And it's not far from the USS Alabama Battleship.

Bama Ed

We weren’t able to get a reservation for FW when we drove down last year but after Orlando we stayed at Fiesta Key RV Resort on Long Key and loved it. Restaurant was good, sites were nice and since in the Keys, pretty much right on the water.

We weren’t able to get a reservation for FW when we drove down last year but after Orlando we stayed at Fiesta Key RV Resort on Long Key and loved it. Restaurant was good, sites were nice and since in the Keys, pretty much right on the water.

Nice! We've already decided that after our next trip to WDW we're going to the Keys to 'recuperate'. I'll add Fiesta Key RV Resort to my WDW word doc for future reference!

Meaher State Park near Mobile is a very nice State Park. Our favorite State Park is Topsail State Park near Destin, Fl.

Love the KOA in Townsend, TN easy to get to the Smokies and even Dollywoood, but so much quieter than Pigeon Forge and Sevierville. It's right on the Little River and you can tube down the river.

Love the KOA in Townsend, TN easy to get to the Smokies and even Dollywoood, but so much quieter than Pigeon Forge and Sevierville. It's right on the Little River and you can tube down the river.
We love Townsend in general. The KOA there is really nice. We went last year and had reservations to go again in April but our kids got sick. I’m hoping we can go back next year.

Havent been to the fort yet, be there in T-minus 56 days.

But we love Cherry Stone at the Eastern Shore in Virginia.

Cloudland Canyon State Park, Georgia.
https://gastateparks.org/CloudlandCanyonLocated just south of Chattanooga, Lookout Mountain area.
Hikers paradise-rated some of the best in the country. Various trails rated easy to strenuous. The trail to the waterfalls has 600 steps, doable for some, not for others-know your !imits-but definitely worth the journey.

We’re back into RVing and looking for campgrounds (RV Resorts) that have something special: nice atmosphere, nice location, beautiful sites, etc. So tell me what other Campgrounds you like and why? What’s special about it?

We live north of Atlanta and enjoy camping at the Corps of Engineers parks around Lake Lanier. The C.O.E. Parks on the south end of Lake Lanier, lake front are especially nice as the sites are generally spacious and pretty.
Have you been to Vogel State Park in Blairsville? It's my favorite, but now that we live in Florida it's a much longer drive.

@Napria not sure exactly what you are looking for but we have stayed at Crossings Creek RV resort in Blairsville. It’s an owner place but you can rent sites. It is nice, new and clean. The best thing about it are the views and hiking. If you don’t hike not much else to do (at least my opinion).

1F112837-72D8-401D-9E83-27287697E1DE.jpeg

Here is a pic, no trees but it’s beautiful.

Havent been to the fort yet, be there in T-minus 56 days.

But we love Cherry Stone at the Eastern Shore in Virginia.
Cherry Stone is nice been once plan to go back in the fall maybe. We prefer Tall Pines Harbor a bit north up 13 but haven't been there for a while as. well as they tell me every year they are putting in a Dog Park and our 2 need it. Their themed weekends are tons of fun

We visit Perdido Key RV resort for July 4 every year. It’s a few minutes from Johnson beach (national seashore). It’s a little pricier than I’d like but not too bad for a private campground on the gulf coast.

We’ll be trying Paradise Ranch in Tylertown MS in a few weeks.

Has anyone been to Cheaha State Park in AL? I considered that for a trip to drive a NASCAR at Talladega. Ultimately couldn’t stretch that to a long weekend and therefore couldn’t justify towing the camper that far (plus past our target) for 2 nights so going to stay with relatives.

Related note, camping at Talladega is fun too. We stay outside the track.

Has anyone been to Cheaha State Park in AL? I considered that for a trip to drive a NASCAR at Talladega. Ultimately couldn’t stretch that to a long weekend and therefore couldn’t justify towing the camper that far (plus past our target) for 2 nights so going to stay with relatives.

I've been to Cheaha a couple times to camp but many times to hike in the surrounding area.

Cheaha is remote, has poor cell service, and it's a long way to anything. They recently have redone their paving on the roads and rebuilt the sites with new gravel and timbers and also have a new bathhouse/comfort station at both the upper and lower campgrounds (always camped at the upper). Cheaha is at the highest point in the state so it's not far to an overlook or a great view. In the fall of course the view is stunning. They have some small stone cabins and a few A-frame chalets plus hotel style building and pool (available to campers too).

Even as a supporter, I don't know that I would put Cheaha in the category of liking it as much as the Fort but it is beautifully surrounded by nature.

Bama Ed

PS - lots of good trails in the area near Cheaha with the Pinhoti, Odom Scout, Skyway, and Chinnabee Silent Trails all forming a good network. Hiked them all many times. And again, beautiful views.

Moose Hillock - both of their locations: NH and NY...though I think we favor NY a little more. HUGE sites that are bordered by trees and brush, big stone firepits, huge themed swimming pools, high quality family friendly entertainment on Saturday nights (magic, comedy, juggling).

PS: I probably don’t like any of the ones I mention as much as the fort. But can only justify the expense of a Disney trip so often.

I live 20 or so minutes from Gulf State Park. Even though it around the corner, Its still one of my favorites. It kind of reminds me of Disney, There is always something to do. Meaher is very laid back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter