What charitable activity do you do?

aliciagold

Earning My Ears
I'm finally in a place financially where I can donate to way more charities, and in the wake of what just happened in America, I really really want to make positive impacts on the country and world.

But I also don't only want to donate to national or worldwide organizations! What legitimate charities, organizations, programs do you know? Do you donate?
renderTimingPixel.png

I volunteer at a local animal shelter and donate new items to Simple Needs, GA, which is a local organization that assists people who are moving out of shelters and into an apartment. Simple Needs also helps provide needed items for the homeless, birthday and school items for children as well as may more local needs.

I rarely donate to national/international charities. IMO the funds often stretch further if kept locally (ie, no big fundraising, volunteer board of directors, no or very few paid employees).

I prefer to donate locally so families in my community can be helped.
I don't donate to National charitable organizations, I would rather 100% of what I'm giving go to those who actually need it.

Canadian feed the children and to several children in El Salvador through an agency.

I'm finally in a place financially where I can donate to way more charities, and in the wake of what just happened in America, I really really want to make positive impacts on the country and world.

But I also don't only want to donate to national or worldwide organizations! What legitimate charities, organizations, programs do you know? Do you donate?
renderTimingPixel.png

What just happened in America? There's always something going on, so not sure which event you're referring to? The CA fires maybe?

I'll be the first to say I don't donate anywhere near as much as I should. In fact, I'd probably give myself a failing grade on that. I'll give a few dollars here and a few dollars there as certain things come up, or if something really strikes me, but don't have a concentrated effort on it. I don't have any issues with the national or international organizations. In fact this year we have a little donation bin set up outside my house, just in front of our big Christmas light display. We're asking for donations to help CA fire victims, and the money will go to the American Red Cross. Why did we choose them? Over 20 years ago, my apartment building burned to the ground and I lost literally everything. The first people on the scene, as I stood there watching the building burn, was the Red Cross. They offered a helping hand and showed such kindness and support. I will never forget that. I volunteered for them for a little while after the fire and it was incredibly rewarding...someday I hope to do it again.

Check any charity you wish to donate to with GuideStar.org. You might be amazed at how much some of the non-profits bring in compared to what they actually pay out in the form of actual help.

I provide and serve meals at a local rescue mission once a month and at a different mission a few times each year. Also provide food to a food bank monthly.

I also watch the news for local items where people raise money to support families or small businesses after a fire or other life altering event and then donate to them.

While I know that your dollar isn’t really a dollar with the larger national charities I’ll still occasionally donate here and there but don’t have one that I support regularly.

You might be interested in checking in with your local DHS or Children and Family Services Department. Children going through the foster system often do so with only the clothes on their backs. It can be a strain on foster parents or relatives attempting to take them in, either temporarily or leading to a permanent situation down the line. Personal care items, clothing and even a few toys would be appreciated. The department can always use toys and games within the offices as well, to be used for supervised parental visitation situations. Domestic abuse shelters are also frequently in use of a variety of items, personal and household.

I don't have a lot of money to donate but I try to donate to St. Jude's Children's Hospital once per year. I also donate to some of our friends/family yearly fundraisers -- one friend does Ride for Roswell (cancer treatment), another for National Stroke, and then another needed to raise medical funds for their daughter this year. I am unable to give a ton of cash, but I try to give whatever we can. We also donate to church weekly. For items, I donate clothing to a local pregnancy center. My kids are starting to out-age the size clothing the center takes, so I'm looking to see where else I can donate their gently used items to for the future.

As for actions, I volunteer for a local animal rescue as a foster home for dogs and cats.

I wish that I could do more monetarily, and I also wish I could help the rescue in other ways, but I just do whatever I can.

Around this time of year I donate to a charity run by our local radio station that helps local families. Depending on the year and whether I have more time, money, etc. I will either donate time, cash, toys, or pick a letter and take care of the holiday wishes for a family (for some reason I hate the “adopt-a-family” term used).

Throughout the year I donate time, money, and donated goods to our local domestic violence emergency shelter and transitional living.

I tend to get new towels and blankets fairly often when they’re still in decent shape and always take these to a local animal facility along with some toys/food.

As others have stated I prefer to keep it local to help those in my community. I pick organizations that speak to me and my emotions.

I only give to one charity, and that is only occasionally (The Elephant Sanctuary). I'd like to be more philanthropic but I'm just not. Not sure it it's laziness or greed. Probably a little of both.

I volunteer my time with Girl Scouts locally and at my local council level and have also helped out and off with refugees coming into the area.

I like to donate in direct ways more often than not. My own local Girl Scouts are fine financially, but I think the organization does grreat things in other places where girls might not have the funds for registration, or uniforms, etc---so I tend to either contact a council which has a program for girls whose mothers are in prison and ask if I can donate directly to that program, or if I know someone who is leading, or would be willing to lead if funds made a troop possible, a troop in a low income area where many girls do not have the oppurtunity to participate, I will contact them directly and offer to sponsor a troop (registration, uniforms, and a set amount per girl for badges and supplies so the leader doesn'T have to stress about that).

There are lots of ways to help more directly and/or locally:

call a school in a nearby low income area and ask what they need or what you can donate that students need
find teacher wish lists online, for low income schools, and support the teachers and students with the supples they need
call a local food pantry and ask if they need monetary or supply donations
call a local support organization for queer youth and ask how to donate
same with local humane societies, Boys and Girls clubs, VA homes,

and so on

Last edited:
I tithe to my parish and support the diocesan collections which don’t violate my conscience. I support EWTN and several religious communities (religious priests, brothers and sisters.)
I support my local police and fire fighters.
I donate to our local Catholic schools.

I am a member of my local Kiwanis chapter. This season in life minimizes the time I can donate, but I do enjoy getting to do what I have done. We have bought books for a lending library at my local elementary school, and we are currently raising money for our events for next year. I have also donated to a couple of victims of the camp fire I know personally. It wasn't a lot, but I know every little bit helps.

Local SPCA. Local Food Bank. Local Homeless Shelter.

I donate to Covenant House. They provide services ranging from shelter to clothing to counseling services to job training for teens and young adults coming off the streets. They really helped a few friends who were in desperate situations get their lives together, so now that I am in the position to give back, I do. I'm thinking of volunteering there in the new year as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter