What charitable activity do you do?

Since my husband is a cancer survivor, we are both super involved in our local Relay for Life - I am actually a co-event lead this year

I'm also very involved with Relay for Life, such a supportive community to be involved in. I've been a part of a team for the past 7 years. Our team captain is also the event lead this year.

I also support Toys for Tots and a local charity that supplies gifts to older children who are aged out of most gift drives.

I was a secretary for 36 years until I retired in 2008. I am an office volunteer at a local Hospice.

I'm finally in a place financially where I can donate to way more charities, and in the wake of what just happened in America, I really really want to make positive impacts on the country and world.

But I also don't only want to donate to national or worldwide organizations! What legitimate charities, organizations, programs do you know? Do you donate?
renderTimingPixel.png

Welcome to the DIS, btw!! :welcome:

I donate to various ones. I'm hoping they're all legitimate! ;) I'm kind of in the camp of NYCgrrl and not wanting to toot horns!

I'm finally in a place financially where I can donate to way more charities, and in the wake of what just happened in America, I really really want to make positive impacts on the country and world.

But I also don't only want to donate to national or worldwide organizations! What legitimate charities, organizations, programs do you know? Do you donate?
renderTimingPixel.png

I volunteer with some frequency. I’ve volunteered with local environmental organizations, Meals on Wheels, the food bank, food pantries, Diaper bank, habitat for humanity, etc. My kids have also done some volunteering with me.
I donate money to those organizations that I volunteer with plus Alex’s Lemonade Stand in honor of my niece.

I found it much more rewarding to donate to an organization that I have volunteered with.

I donate to Covenant House. They provide services ranging from shelter to clothing to counseling services to job training for teens and young adults coming off the streets. They really helped a few friends who were in desperate situations get their lives together, so now that I am in the position to give back, I do. I'm thinking of volunteering there in the new year as well.

This sounds like an incredible organization. I'd imagine they might also provide a safety net for those kids aging out of the foster care system without a permanent living situation to go to.
Everybody is eager to help the little tykes, but help for teens and young adults is much more challenging to come by.

I don't discuss my charitable doings IRL or OL; too much like horn tooting for my sensibilities.

You can give suggestions without information about yourself, as others have. Sometimes you get ideas about efforts to look for in your own community -- or even some fresh ideas about how to help or give.

I try not to discuss my charitable doings IRL or OL; too much like horn tooting for my sensibilities.
And yet charities and volunteer organizations rely on people’s word of mouth to keep their mission going, and to help recruit volunteers, especially smaller and local organizations. We brag about our volunteers all the time and tell people what we do. We need the whole village to help us in our mission!

I ran/organized an Autism Speaks Walk team this year with my sister. We raised over $2000 in my nephew/her son’s name. We’re looking forward to doing it again next fall!

And every year I do the leukemia/lymphoma society Light the Night Walk with all of my coworkers. We raised over 15 grand this year.

This sounds like an incredible organization. I'd imagine they might also provide a safety net for those kids aging out of the foster care system without a permanent living situation to go to.
Everybody is eager to help the little tykes, but help for teens and young adults is much more challenging to come by.

You can give suggestions without information about yourself, as others have. Sometimes you get ideas about efforts to look for in your own community -- or even some fresh ideas about how to help or give.

Very true but but I don't wanna "share";).
I let others chose what touches their heart w/o input from me since I'm confident they know how they feel:).

I volunteer and donate with/to a local domestic violence shelter. I also donate on the national level to planned parenthood and the aclu (to a much lesser degree now) as well as npr. I informally tithe 10% to my chosen charities, sometimes additional things come up. It’s not a hard and fast rule for me, just a rule of thumb.

No matter what organization, there are so many needs. Also, please, if you can donate, give blood!

And yet charities and volunteer organizations rely on people’s word of mouth to keep their mission going, and to help recruit volunteers, especially smaller and local organizations. We brag about our volunteers all the time and tell people what we do. We need the whole village to help us in our mission!

This is what I always thought. I would love if more people just thought in general “oh crap, I should donate/volunteer” whatever more. It’s easy to get busy and forget.

Easiest one - I donate blood (I admit to slacking on that lately. I've been giving blood for over 15 years, but ;ast time I gave they couldn't stop the bleeding for a while and it now I don't want to go unless someone drives me for the next donation. But I need to get over myself and just do it).
I do a leg of a transports for cats. This one is nice because it guarantees me a few hours of alone time (I have to take seats out of the car to fit the cats, so no kids get to come).
Someone upthread mentioned donating to local DCF offices. I love people that do this. As a foster home, I HATE getting kids with trash bags of their belongings. I am always asking friends and family for any old luggage they have. So all of you who love to travel and invest in new luggage - PLEASE consider calling your local DCF office to have them take the older bags. Or, if you are in CT, the CAFAF office can point you in the right direction. Kids deserve to move around with proper bags. Also, if you know a foster parent who takes teens and you coupon - please consider giving them deodorant/shampoo/etc. I had a time where 20 kids went through in a couple months. The supplies go faster than I can restock sometimes.

Someone in our neighborhood puts out the word that anyone with leftover candy from Halloween is free to drop it off at their house up to a few days after Halloween and they send them off to troops overseas through Operation Gratitude. We didn't have enough candy left this year (It was like 5 packages of candy) but I have dropped off candy the previous three years. Apparently this year was the best yet. They had over 205 lbs total that people dropped off at their house.

I used to back in high school volunteer at a local animal shelter.

You might check and see if there are volunteer opportunities throughout your neighborhood or community. Right now our neighborhood is doing a coat drive but they've had new mattress drives, blanket drives and volunteers wanted for other things like Easter Egg hunt, for Halloween their event they do in the pool parking lot and right now it's help for the Holiday Hayrides.

CharityNavigator.org is a place you may find helpful to look through the various charities, their cost ratios, and so many more if you're looking for financial donations you're wanting to give. That may also be a website to finding out if there are places you could physically donate to in your direct area.

As it is the holiday season you could also do adopt-a-family or something similar.

P.S. I'm also wondering what happened in America to spurn this inquiry/feeling?

Someone in our neighborhood puts out the word that anyone with leftover candy from Halloween is free to drop it off at their house up to a few days after Halloween and they send them off to troops overseas through Operation Gratitude. We didn't have enough candy left this year (It was like 5 packages of candy) but I have dropped off candy the previous three years. Apparently this year was the best yet. They had over 205 lbs total that people dropped off at their house.

I used to back in high school volunteer at a local animal shelter.

You might check and see if there are volunteer opportunities throughout your neighborhood or community. Right now our neighborhood is doing a coat drive but they've had new mattress drives, blanket drives and volunteers wanted for other things like Easter Egg hunt, for Halloween their event they do in the pool parking lot and right now it's help for the Holiday Hayrides.

CharityNavigator.org is a place you may find helpful to look through the various charities, their cost ratios, and so many more if you're looking for financial donations you're wanting to give. That may also be a website to finding out if there are places you could physically donate to in your direct area.

As it is the holiday season you could also do adopt-a-family or something similar.

P.S. I'm also wondering what happened in America to spurn this inquiry/feeling?
Assuming this is directed toward my post. There has always been a portion of America's population that is more comfortable giving anonymously. One instance known to many when they think of it:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/ruth-neubauer/mothers-day-and-the-anonymous-gift_b_3265935.html

I'm not "spurning" anyone else's reason for giving and talking about it merely pointing out my thoughts on the subject. I would be very uncomfortable being spotlighted for giving something away.

Assuming this is directed toward my post. There has always been a portion of America's population that is more comfortable giving anonymously. One instance known to many when they think of it:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/ruth-neubauer/mothers-day-and-the-anonymous-gift_b_3265935.html

I'm not "spurning" anyone else's reason for giving and talking about it merely pointing out my thoughts on the subject. I would be very uncomfortable being spotlighted for giving something away.
Umm...no actually not at all TBH :flower3: so no worries on that front.

I was actually only speaking to the OP since they asked "But I also don't only want to donate to national or worldwide organizations! What legitimate charities, organizations, programs do you know? Do you donate?"

My comment was not directed to any poster other than the OP. I actually just skimmed people's responses.

For nearly 25 I have been in Rotary. For several reasons. Rotary is the reason that Polio is nearly eradicated around the world. My money goes to groups that are effective and have the infrastructure to deliver on the goals. My donations help locally, in my country and around the world. As a Rotarian I can be hands on involved and know that on the other end of the world where my money goes there is a Rotarian that is just as involved and wanting to make a difference.

But I will share a few others things. When looking to donation do your homework. Check sites like Charity Navigator and Guidestar. If you're giving $100 give where it makes you feel good. If you're giving $10,000 then make sure you're money is doing good and not paying an over paid CEO. Sorry I've looked at the salaries of the local Goodwill and other Non-profits, even the local United Way. I would say always give direct. Avoid anyone that does telemarketing, if they want to send me a photo and a T-Shirt they are marketing to me not being a good charity IMHO. I don't give to anyone that calls me, does a telethon or pays their fundraisers. Give locally.

Local food banks are good. A civic group in our area heads up ‘Backpacks for kids’ that provides food in backpacks on weekends for kids who otherwise wouldn’t have food. Local teachers identify the kids and those in the organization just get first names or initials so it’s confidential. They give the kids food that is easy for the kid to open and if they know there is a younger sibling, will send extra food. A lot of the kids have addicted parents who don’t care if the kids eat or not. It’s very sad to think about.

We donate a multiple places during the year. We always donate to our church and extra to their toy drives, coat drives, backpack drives, etc.

We are huge animal lovers, so we support multiple animal rescues and shelters.

We also support a charity that partners with an orphanage in Ecuador. We supply money for food, clothing, Christmas gifts, and a home for them to live in when they age out of the orphanage at 17.

We physically serve at our church and at the local homeless shelter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter