What cookware do you use (and love)?

Dallas_Lady

I only work for the vacation money
I bought a set of Anolon advanced from Macy's almost 20 years ago. I used to work there and sell cookware so I learned a lot, but that was a long time ago. I have replaced some of the workhorse pieces over the years but it's time to replace the whole set. Any recommendations? I am thinking about taking the All Clad plunge.

I LOVE my 4 ply stainless steel. It's been in use more than 40 yrs an going strong. Still shinny an bright looks almost new. My mother had a set she'd had since the early 60's she LOVED hers as well.
When I was a kid maybe 10 yrs old a power line broke in front of our house (ICE) my brother had started water for spaghetti nobody thought to turn the burner off it was set on HIGH the power went out about 4:30 pm. Next morning we all got up went to work an school in the dark. When we got home from school there sat that pan on the stove glowing bright red. Turned off burner let the pan set there an cool off it turned black as coal. Daddy scrubbed it clean it looked like new again.That pan is still going strong today.

MOST pans would have melted set the house on fire We was lucky.

I bought my cookware set as a very young teen knowing I might not always have the money so glad I did my DH would have never paid that much money for pans.

Going on 19 years with a classic stainless steel, copper core bottom Cuisinart set that cost me under $200. With the exception of the frying pan, which has some burned on grease along the outside edge, the pans still look brand new. All those fancy nonstick expensive pans, IMO, don't cook as evenly as stainless steel, and are much harder to care for. I throw my Cuisinart pots and pans into the dishwasher all the time and they clean so well in there.

I buy cheaper non stick pans (omelette pan, large frying pan, wok) that I just replace when they start chipping. I have been using ceramic nonstick lately (Green pan brand) which last several years.

Calphalon nonstick pans/skillets (we have the Contemporary series).

I forget which brand of stainless steal pots (and a few pans, but we don't usually use those)

Lodge cast iron skillets.

Stainless steel we go with Revere copper bottomed pots and pans. We also have a cast iron skillet that we never wash in soapy water, just wipe it out with a cloth and season it with a little olive oil. It's so well seasoned after fifty-odd years that eggs slide right out just like if it was a Teflon pan.

I have converted for many pieces completely over to LeCrueset. It takes some time to get used to cooking with them (as they really retain heat) but they really will last forever. They are also somewhat non-stick but without any Teflon.

I still boil water for pasta etc is a Calphalon pot that I purchased with part of a very expensive set years ago. I still have most pieces from that set, but prefer my LeCrueset.

Any tips for keeping stainless steel clean? I have always been hesitant to buy it because it seems hard to clean.

I have a Calphalon Tri Ply copper set (about 15 yrs old) that I really like. I don't display it, so I don't bother the upkeep with making the copper look pretty, but they do heat more evenly than some of the other random pieces we own and they are a cinch at clean up. We have some non-stick too, but those never seem to last as long for us...but I keep them around for things like eggs. Edit- I've cooked with other people's All Clad and didn't feel it was worth the upgrade. Not that it was bad, but I wasn't in awe either.

I use mostly all-clad purchased at their factory second sales. I also have a lodge cast iron skillet, a non-stick skillet, and a lodge enameled cast iron Dutch oven.

I bought everything individually over the years. To me, the sets are unappealing because I want to pick the size (most sets have pans that are too small for me).

I have converted for many pieces completely over to LeCrueset. It takes some time to get used to cooking with them (as they really retain heat) but they really will last forever. They are also somewhat non-stick but without any Teflon.

I still boil water for pasta etc is a Calphalon pot that I purchased with part of a very expensive set years ago. I still have most pieces from that set, but prefer my LeCrueset.

I just bought my first LeCrueset pot a few weeks ago at the Orlando outlet! They were clearing out the store for a remodel and the price was so good I lugged a pot home on the plane haha. I'm still figuring out the best things to cook in it and any adjustments :-)

I have an old set of Calphalon that I still love, but my favorite frying pan is my cast iron skillet that belonged to my mother's Nanna. She used to talk about how her Nanna would make brains and eggs in that thing :laughing: I'd give up my wedding rings before I would ever let that skillet go! And I'm a big lover of my Lodge enameled dutch ovens too. You can make the best crusty loaf bread in them as long as you swap out the knob to a metal one.

I have an old set of Calphalon that I still love, but my favorite frying pan is my cast iron skillet that belonged to my mother's Nanna. She used to talk about how her Nanna would make brains and eggs in that thing :laughing: I'd give up my wedding rings before I would ever let that skillet go! And I'm a big lover of my Lodge enameled dutch ovens too. You can make the best crusty loaf bread in them as long as you swap out the knob to a metal one.

My Lodge dutch oven came with a metal knob and I make bread in it all the time! So easy and better than store bought. Sadly, my skillet isn't as good. It's newer and less smooth than the old ones. Working on it, but I can tell the difference when I'm at my parents' house. Theirs is as non-stick as it gets since they've been cooking on it for 50+ years.

All Clad is a great brand as is Calphalon. My Mom worked for many years in a department store's Housewares department and those were her 2 favorites. She replaced most of her pots and pans over the years with those 2 brands. I have used them for years as a result and those are my go to as well.

I bought a couple basic, store brand, 18/10 stainless steel, copper core bottom sauce pots from, what used to be Bradlees, way before Target. And they've lasted me 3 decades now. I also have a couple Cuisinart stainless steel, copper core bottom frying pans that hold up well, that I got from TJ Maxx or Home Goods. No buying $200 name brand cookware for me when moderate priced pots & pans will work the same. It's the materials that are important.

I buy cheaper non stick pans (omelette pan, large frying pan, wok) that I just replace when they start chipping. I have been using ceramic nonstick lately (Green pan brand) which last several years.

Be careful of all those non-stick layers chipping off. Research has shown that the non-stick materials are in too many people's bloodstream & in our water supply and may be causing a lot of illnesses. I have a lifelong illness now and don't want to add to it.

I have wondered about how well those ceramic nonstick pans hold up. :scratchin Currently I'm using a stainless steel fry pan for eggs. I do have to use more oil than I'd like to use. But, I'd prefer that over having more non-stick in my body.

Last edited:
Any tips for keeping stainless steel clean? I have always been hesitant to buy it because it seems hard to clean.

In the days before non-stick coatings were invented, after cooking, we just filled the pot/pan with hot soapy water and placed it back on the stove burners. (Burners are OFF.) And left the pots to soak, till after dinner, or overnight. Any gunk or goo lifts right off, or with very little scrubbing with a scrubby sponge, OR then placing in the dishwasher. I STILL do that now, since I got rid of all my non-stick. And this technique works great. :thumbsup2

To polish up the stainless steel, invest in Barkeepers Friend. It's like Ajax or Comet, but is micro-pulverized particles, so it shines up stainless steel, including faucet fixtures & stainless steel sink, right up without scratching. :thumbsup2 Comes in powder or liquid. If some baked on gunk is really stuck to the pans and a scrubby sponge won't work, this also works to get it off.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BAR-KEEPERS-FRIEND-POWDER-21OZ/15026756

I bought a couple basic, store brand, 18/10 stainless steel, copper core bottom sauce pots from, what used to be Bradlees, way before Target. And they've lasted me 3 decades now. I also have a couple Cuisinart stainless steel, copper core bottom frying pans that hold up well, that I got from TJ Maxx or Home Goods. No buying $200 name brand cookware for me when moderate priced pots & pans will work the same. It's the materials that are important.

Be careful of all those non-stick layers chipping off. Research has shown that the non-stick materials are in too many people's bloodstream & in our water supply and may be causing a lot of illnesses. I have a lifelong illness now and don't want to add to it.

I have wondered about how well those ceramic nonstick pans hold up. :scratchin Currently I'm using a stainless steel fry pan for eggs. I do have to use more oil than I'd like to use. But, I'd prefer that over having more non-stick in my body.

Oh, I know. I never used the super cheap nonstick pans and the second I see a scratch, I toss it.

The ceramic ones hold up VERY well as long as you only use wooden or silicone utensils. Occasionally, if you use too high of heat, you can damage it with burned food that won't come off. I am careful to only use medium heat. If I need higher heat, I use the stainless steel.

All-Clad for the last 20 something years. I also love my 2 cast iron skillets for certain things.

When I have stuff get stubbornly burned on, I fill the pan or pot with water, bring to a boil, turn it off and throw in a dishwasher tablet. The next day, it literally rinses clean. I hardly ever have to do this. I use heavy duty scrub sponges (the kind that won't scratch) and they work 99% of the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter