what did you get your kids for christmas

My adult children are getting pajamas like they do every year, a couple small things and mostly cash.

We got sick of fixing and buying new Kindles, so we asked my sister and father in law to just pool the money they would have given them and get them the $249 iPads.
We got them wireless headphones (inexpensive lightning deal I luckily stumbled upon on Amazon with great reviews) to go with the iPads. And of course they each get a Nerf gun. Because the 20 in my house already just aren't enough. They will share a Switch game or two and I will get a few things for their stockings.
In my world that's all the get, because we are taking them two at a time to Disney in January. My husband is a sucker and will go out and buy stuff just so they have more to unwrap. That's usually the stuff I donate right after the holiday:rolleyes:

Where did you find an ipad for $249?

Santa is currently having the elves build a Paw Patrol Mighty Jet, which might arrive if the nice list includes a certain name.

The girls are getting Hamilton tickets - a total surprise, it isnt playing locally this year but is about 2 hours away where my nieces live and was actually a lot cheaper then when it played locally. Then older dd some clothes and horror make up (made for quite the comical conversation with grandma), younger dd is getting lol dolls and some other toys on her lists, the boy is getting his varsity jacket and clothes (he is also going to Disney in Feb with his school - $$$$). All are getting some smaller items that they have been eyeing but didnt necessarily ask for...

Mine are all adults. Dd is getting a e reader. Ods a leaf blower. And YDS is getting a tool bag and some tools for his new chosen career (he is in school now).

Sil is getting a HP trivia game and a band for his Apple Watch. Yds’s gf is getting a instant pot.

My grandkids are all getting a kids smart watch and a board game. Probably all getting clothes too.

The only one I am stuck on this year is DIL.

From me and the wife: My 5 and 8 year old girls wanted to go to Disney for Christmas so that is their BIG gift. 11 days should make them happy!
From Santa: We got them, or should I say Santa got them each a Hoverboard, Nintendo Switch, 3 games each and then for my 8yo an electric guitar with amp and my 5yo the new LOL doll house.
for my 29yo daughter $500 cash for her and her hubby.
Still got to buy for grand babies, niece and nephew as well as brother. Wife wants nothing so I got her a watch she has been eyeing.

Even if they suggest it? To me that it worse. Pushing your needs on your kids.
:scratchin Actually I find the comments you've been getting a little surprising given all the other threads where people claim to want to be able to stop exchanging gifts with family and are resentful because one person, or group of people, refuse. Nobody ever admits to being "those people" who insist on keeping the exchange going. Heck, on the other gift thread you started practically no one will even cop to enjoying receiving gifts. :confused3

Last edited:

:scratchin Actually I find the comments you've been getting a little surprising given all the other threads where people claim to want to be able to stop exchanging gifts with family and are resentful because one person, or group of people refuse. Nobody ever admits to being "those people" who insist on keeping the exchange going. Heck, on the other gift thread you started practically no one will even cop to enjoying receiving gifts. :confused3
I’ve come to expect it from the DIS. Anyone who chooses to go against the norm is wrong for doing it. Even if others would like to do the same.
And then of course there are those who will complain that Christmas has been commercialized. But won’t stop the insanity of having to find everyone a gift. It’s so much less stressful to not have to worry about it and to just get to spend the day enjoying each other’s company.

We typically give a want, a read, a wear, and a need. This year we are taking a cruise as our gift, so will get small things related to the trip like new swim trunks and goggles.

Even if they suggest it? To me that it worse. Pushing your needs on your kids.
I dont understand what you mean. Even if they suggest it? :confused3 You mean, the "child" telling you what they want for xmas? And what do you mean, pushing your needs on your kids? What a messed up way of looking at it. I buy my ADULT son a gift. The end. Not sure what youre talking about.

I dont understand what you mean. Even if they suggest it? :confused3 You mean, the "child" telling you what they want for xmas? And what do you mean, pushing your needs on your kids? What a messed up way of looking at it. I buy my ADULT son a gift. The end. Not sure what youre talking about.
I think she meant it’s the adult children that asked to stop exchanging gifts. It happens - there are several threads running right now about who people exchange gifts with and how they feel about it. Many posters express wishing they weren’t obligated to exchange with family. Many say they have asked to stop but the family members won’t agree. They “push their needs” on the people who want to stop exchanging gifts,

Those posters seem to get a fair bit of sympathy for their plight. Why then, when @disneychrista reports her family has mutually and happily agreed not to do it, does she seem like some sort of villian?

No they suggest NOT exchanging gifts. You ARE pushing your needs if you insist on giving gifts when someone has told you they don’t want you to.

No they suggest NOT exchanging gifts. You ARE pushing your needs if you insist on giving gifts when someone has told you they don’t want you to.
Oh i see! I honestly didnt even realise. Sometimes I read the posts too quickly. Yes, if the kids suggest not exchanging gifts, then I agree....dont give gifts! Seems pretty simple to me. I dont see why posters would get on your case about that. Its a personal choice within your family. If not exchanging gifts is what everyone wants...then it makes sense to me to respect those wishes.

I think she meant it’s the adult children that asked to stop exchanging gifts. It happens - there are several threads running right now about who people exchange gifts with and how they feel about it. Many posters express wishing they weren’t obligated to exchange with family. Many say they have asked to stop but the family members won’t agree. They “push their needs” on the people who want to stop exchanging gifts,

Those posters seem to get a fair bit of sympathy for their plight. Why then, when @disneychrista reports her family has mutually and happily agreed not to do it, does she seem like some sort of villian?
I honestly had no idea. I read posts way too fast sometimes. :( Thanks for explaining.

DD17- wireless Airpods and case, giftcards, clothes, cash, tickets to basketball tournament at local college

My kid is grown, but still a young adult.
We don't get him an awful lot now. But, when he was young, Santa put plenty of gifts under the tree !
I like to get him things that he would not get for himself. He has the nice Iphone, electronics, etc.
So far got him some nice North Face (25% off Black Friday). And some nice plaid tops.
Also thinking of step-bars for his big truck! He would have to pick those out. But would love for him to have those on his truck.

I think that a parent doing something for their adult children is probably a little different concept than 'exchanging gifts'. I don't think that the two things are mutually exclusive.

I would be wonderfully happy with simply some time and a smile from my son!

Where did you find an ipad for $249?
The Sunday before Thanksgiving Staples listed the 7th generation for $249. It was also the deal on Black Friday at Staples. And Amazon had them at that price for a while, as did Target. Target actually dipped down to $229 at one point.

I have an Amazon cart sitting full, but have actually only purchased two fluffy pillows for my daughter.

My 17 year old daughter wants a guitar, and I am also getting her a computer for school use.

My daughter and I are doing a 4 day girls trip to Disney World (she knows that). Her gift is tickets to MK after hours and AK after hours. Oh, and a giant box of chicken Ramen...that was the one thing she put on her Christmas wish list 🤷‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter