What did you kids like outside of Kids Club?

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
We're going on Allure with our kids next year (10.5 and 6.5 years). We'll of course let them go to the kids club if they would like, but it's a family holiday so am hoping to do most things together.

For those that have gone on Royal with kids, what did they like to do?

i can't believe no one's responded yet. i don't have kids, so was waiting for someone with kids to write. but since no one's stepping up, i'm game - we travel with friends with kids, and also have other friends with kids who cruise royal quite often.

allure has mini golf (good for both ages), a rock climbing wall (for older kid), a surfing simulator (also for older kid), a kids' splash pad and pools (for younger kid), the dreamworks experience (parades and 3D movies and character meets - probably good for both kids), and a carousel (for both again). all of that is included in your cruise fare. there's also an arcade for an extra charge. adults can do all of those things, too - DH and i went on the carousel numerous times. :) the only exception is that i think you have to have a kid with you to go in the splash pad/kiddie pool area. allure also used to have kids' cupcake decorating classes the parents could help out with, which i think were about $20 per person, but i'm not sure if they are still going on (there were also adult cupcake classes, which the older kid could probably handle).

the diving show at the aqua theater and the cirque-du-soleil-style show in the main theater are also good for all ages. the aqua theater also has a dreamworks-themed show one afternoon or evening, and has short fountain shows throughout the day and night, and sometimes movies on its big screens. i don't remember if chicago has switched over to mamma mia yet, but i wouldn't recommend chicago for most kids, unless they are pretty advanced (like PG-13 plus).

i believe there are also family events like family scavenger hunts or family karaoke - you can probably find a "cruise compass" (the daily newspaper with list of activities) for your itinerary on cruise critic, or just do a google search for one.

Arcade, most of the food, being on the sea. He can't remember if there was shuffleboard, but when there is shuffleboard he and DH play it, and he likes it.

Lazy "donut" pool on Freedom. Waterplay stuff on Freedom. ICE SKATING on Freedom.

On Vision, participating in a copule of the dance classes. He's a dancer and it was great fun to learn to Jive, for instance. (which meant more like "jumpin' jive", not the disco thing I was expecting) He's definitely a joiner. :)

DD was 9 when we did Oasis, but she loved the pools, shows, flash dance, cupcake class (adults), zipline, character breakfast- pretty much everything you see advertised

DD was 9 when we did Oasis, but she loved the pools, shows, flash dance, cupcake class (adults), zipline, character breakfast- pretty much everything you see advertised

Your daughter was old enough to do the zip line?

Sounds like a blast for kids!

Zipline requirements sign is posted here.

I"m pretty sure that everyone who takes a cruise with their family is going on a family vacation. :) Doesn't mean that having some things to talk about, that everyone doesn't already know about, isn't fun. :)

And the nice thing about Royal (vs Disney) is that the kid clubs aren't open literally all day. There are breaks, which I liked.

We went last year on Explorer to Bermuda. My boys, 13 and 8 at the time and our friends girls, 12 and 10 went to the kids club for a total of one hour. The rest of the time we were together at shows, skating, rock climbing, swimming, playing mini golf an just exploring the ship and island.

We went last year on Explorer to Bermuda. My boys, 13 and 8 at the time and our friends girls, 12 and 10 went to the kids club for a total of one hour. The rest of the time we were together at shows, skating, rock climbing, swimming, playing mini golf an just exploring the ship and island.

Sounds awesome!

We returned a couple of weeks ago from the Oasis of the Seas with our kids ages 9 and 8 and a family friend's daughter who is also 9. It was non stop for them outside the kids club what with the H2O zone, rock climbing, boogie boarding on the flow rider. Our 8 year old was not tall enough to do the boogie boarding or the ziplining. I believe that minimum is 52 inches. Our 9 year old did not weigh enough to do the ziplining so there is a minimum weight requirement. I believe the attendant said it was minimum 30 kgs. They said if a person did not meet the minimum there was a risk they could get stuck before the end and then it isn't a good time anymore.

There was ice skating as well. They really enjoyed the shows. There is also a great and lively parade during one of the at sea days at around 12:30 in the royal promenade so be sure to watch your compass for it because it is not to be missed. I only saw it once on the cruise compass. They also did the mini golf and pong pong at the number of ping pong tables outdoors. Rode the merry go round about 20 times. They had an incredible time enjoying the amenities of the ship outside of the kids club. They did though really have a great time in the kids club and each made some very lovely friends. My friend and her daughter, it was there very first cruise and they loved it so much, she has now booked them on the Allure.

Enjoy your planning!

We just returned from a trip on Navigator and we saw lots of little bitty kids on Flo Rider so I'm not sure if there are different requirements. They were better at it than most adults. The grandparents were with us and our daughters enjoyed playing dominoes with them. They also took advantage of the mini-golf, shuffle board, and ice skating. Our girls are 14. They both complained that the pool was too crowded, but I think Navigator has a smaller pool complex. They also liked going to all the Trivia contests with the grandparents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter