What do American 4 yr olds drink?

Our kids drink/drank a lot of water. In the parks I brought our insulated water bottles that I filled up each morning and as needed throughout the day. With meals they had juice or whatever would be offered with kids meals.

They're 10 now, so they can have one soda on vacation at lunch or dinner but not soda at both meals.

Even 100% fruit juice is mostly sugar (with none of the fruit benefits like fiber, etc.), so we don't really encourage a lot of juice drinking either, and they're not huge fans of milk. At home they mostly drink flavored seltzer or plain water these days.

Plenty of options over here for bevs. Personally our kids are water and milk only. They've gotten a taste of soda but its a super treat followed by a teeth brushing. I grew up with parents that let me have juice and soda everyday and my mouth is paying for it, so we take a different approach with our kids. The parks have options so I wouldnt worry about what you'll be able to give your kids while here.

Water. I brought insulated water bottles and filled with ice each morning from the hotel ice machines. Added cold water throughout the day. We never did juice or milk to drink. As a special treat, an occasional fun drink like a slushie, Dole Whip in pineapple juice, etc.

My kids only drink plain water(lucky for us they love it)and milk, and very very rarely apple juice. My kids wont touch soda until middle school if we can help it. Americans have a very unhealthy addiction to the stuff.

Like most previous posters said. Free water is available at all quick service restaurants so bring your only sugar free flavoring in if your kids don’t like plain water. You’ll need to bring it from home or visit an offsite store(not sure if the on-site gas stations stock it or not).
I disagree with this. I'm not really a soda drinker. My daughter mainly drinks white and water. I still dilute her apple juice and she's 7. I've been doing this since she was a toddler. Do you want to know what still happened?? She'll need braces. :( I was almost in tears when the dentist told me this because of judgy moms. I did everything right and her teeth didn't grow in "perfect". He said there was nothing that I did wrong. It's just her mouth. haha. She's never had a cavity or anything.

I disagree with this. I'm not really a soda drinker. My daughter mainly drinks white and water. I still dilute her apple juice and she's 7. I've been doing this since she was a toddler. Do you want to know what still happened?? She'll need braces. :( I was almost in tears when the dentist told me this because of judgy moms. I did everything right and her teeth didn't grow in "perfect". He said there was nothing that I did wrong. It's just her mouth. haha. She's never had a cavity or anything.
I never heard that the need for braces could be caused by sugary drinks. Last I heard it was a genetic predisposition or thumb sucking as the major causes. DGD finally got her 1st pair last week. She wants her next pair in neon green but I convinced her that multi color might better fit her wardrobe.....who knew?:lmao:
Almost every other kid in her class wear braces and/or eyeglasses so nothing for anyone of them to tease each other about on that level. Fortunately haven't had to deal with "judgy" caretakers about her braces since I'd ultimately have to politely tell them to get educated on the topic if it went that far.

My girls drink whatever they want. Water, Milk, Chocolate milk, Yoo Hoo, Coke, whatever. They like to order "Virgin" frozen daiquiris when we go out to dinner if the restaurant serves them. I grew up drinking only water and drank milk at meals. Every once in a while we got a cola. My kids are very active and slim so I don't worry about what they eat and drink so much as long as they have healthy meals.

My almost 6 year old drinks a lot of plain water but also loves lemonade, apple juice, purple grape juice, “regular” milk, chocolate milk, crystal light (lightly flavored water) as “treats”. She does not like orange juice as it’s too tangy to her. She will occasionally have a sip of my sprite or root beer if she drank all of her drink and I didn’t refill her cup yet and she is “dying of thirst” lol but it’s not common.

My girls drink whatever they want. Water, Milk, Chocolate milk, Yoo Hoo, Coke, whatever. They like to order "Virgin" frozen daiquiris when we go out to dinner if the restaurant serves them. I grew up drinking only water and drank milk at meals. Every once in a while we got a cola. My kids are very active and slim so I don't worry about what they eat and drink so much as long as they have healthy meals.
We grew up drinking whatever we want too & my teeth are great & neither of us has a weight problem. I drink diet drinks now just b/c I like the taste & don’t need/want the extra calories. But, I plan to allow DS the same choices with moderation.

Brace’s have nothing to do with sugar drinks. Well I guess if you kids teeth fall out or are pulled very young before the adult tooth is ready it can cause the others to move and get crowded but for most kids that doesn’t happen.
At four my kids drank milk water a some juice (apple or white grape) or lemonade (special events). One had a cavity way in the back that was tiny but we filled it anyway to keep it from growing. They other nothing. So far at 9 no braces or other orthodontist work but every six months the dentists say they will probably send us next time. So far nothing.

I’m glad this was asked as I wondered when I was at Aulani with my kids.

TBH I struggled to find things for them to drink other than water because they don’t drink milk, probably because I’m lactose intolerant. The juice there didn’t taste like juice to me. We ended up going to Costco to buy a big carton of bottled water and some “juice” pouches.

I was surprised to see carbonated beverages in kids meals all over Oahu both in and out of Aulani, something I am not used to in Australia. There’s totally soda on every menu here but we don’t have fountain beverages outside Costco and Ikea. McDonalds has them too behind the counter.
Hawaii imports the vast majority of its food items but does keep enough pineapple and papaya for the state's use before exporting the remainder. Still, I know what you mean about some fruit juices tasting different from one region of the world to another. When I lived in Central Europe it was common to find canned orange juice which doesn't have a taste that agrees with my taste buds. Sure, I'd drink it if in the midst of a zombie apocalypse but otherwise thank you, no thank you;).

At that age, my kids mostly drank milk, water and juice. Usually I mixed juice half and half with water, per the pediatrician suggestion. That wasn't always possible when we were eating out, but I did it all the time at home and when I prepared a sippy cup to go.

my kids drank water and milk at that age. I'm a southern American that doesn't put sugar in tea (whether hot or cold) or coffee which puts me in the minority. You will see a variety of diets in USA, what's advertised is where the money is, water doesn't pay for advertising. There will be plenty of options in the parks.

I've read the entire post and now feel like the worlds worst parent... I can remember my oldest daughters pediatrician... He also "prescribed" a candy bar to her when we took her in for a illness. She grew up believing you get a Hershey bar when sick and we have continued the "tradition" with the rest of our girls. You've got to remember I'm an old mom and when I listen to all the new rules that have come along with raising kids I kind of laugh. I'm not sure how mine have survived...
You can survive with an unhealthy diet, sure. That doesn't mean a healthy diet isn't better. I grew up drinking sodas all the time, suffered the dental effects from it, and wanted better for my son. He's 14 and has never had a soda, and never wants to have one. No cavities in his mouth. A lot of parents want better things for their children than what they had. Better health is often part of that.

At any rate, you should never take others' child-rearing practices as a personal affront. No one on this thread has called you out or judged you. The only person I think negatively about in your post is the doctor who "prescribed" a candy bar to a child. Shaking my head on that one...

Last edited:
I didn't take any offense to any of the posts. My post was light hearted. I stand by our doctor as he has been practicing over 40 years and well respected. I don't think prescribing a candy bar to a sick child is terrible. I'm more disappointed by the doctors who over prescribe medication to children for simple colds. Kids are over medicated to a point that a lot of antibiotics no longer work. We have been fortunate as our girls are very healthy. Two love chocolate and two hate it. I was raised by parents who would allow us an occasion treat, including candy bars, and I hate chocolate. I'm not sure of your age(and really don't care)but I have several relatives that have new babies and I laugh at all the new rules in raising kids today. I'm an old mom, had my last halfway through my forties(she was our special Disney surprise)and I'm old school. I know an occasional treat will not harm a child. I say lighten up as my post was not that serious. I do not care what someone chooses to feed their child but I also know I'm not the only parent around who understands that a cup of soda is ok. As for you quote that a lot of parents want better things for their children, I agree. I've been fortunate as my childhood was great. Part of that my childhood was attending birthday parties, movies, minature golf, bowling parties, etc... We were served soda, cake, and the dreaded candy bar, pizza, chips, and junk. My parents allowed me to attend and I ate all of the above. I'm not saying I would allow our girls to eat this everyday but as an OCCASIONAL treat is okay. I'm almost fifty, low blood pressure, good teeth, and physically active. My dh is healthy as well. It's okay to disagree and as long as your happy with you decisions you make in raising your children, great. But a healthy lifestyle can be achieved with a treat every now and then. Happy travels.

I didn't take any offense to any of the posts. My post was light hearted. I stand by our doctor as he has been practicing over 40 years and well respected. I don't think prescribing a candy bar to a sick child is terrible. I'm more disappointed by the doctors who over prescribe medication to children for simple colds. Kids are over medicated to a point that a lot of antibiotics no longer work. We have been fortunate as our girls are very healthy. Two love chocolate and two hate it. I was raised by parents who would allow us an occasion treat, including candy bars, and I hate chocolate. I'm not sure of your age(and really don't care)but I have several relatives that have new babies and I laugh at all the new rules in raising kids today. I'm an old mom, had my last halfway through my forties(she was our special Disney surprise)and I'm old school. I know an occasional treat will not harm a child. I say lighten up as my post was not that serious. I do not care what someone chooses to feed their child but I also know I'm not the only parent around who understands that a cup of soda is ok. As for you quote that a lot of parents want better things for their children, I agree. I've been fortunate as my childhood was great. Part of that my childhood was attending birthday parties, movies, minature golf, bowling parties, etc... We were served soda, cake, and the dreaded candy bar, pizza, chips, and junk. My parents allowed me to attend and I ate all of the above. I'm not saying I would allow our girls to eat this everyday but as an OCCASIONAL treat is okay. I'm almost fifty, low blood pressure, good teeth, and physically active. My dh is healthy as well. It's okay to disagree and as long as your happy with you decisions you make in raising your children, great. But a healthy lifestyle can be achieved with a treat every now and then. Happy travels.
I’m with you. I’m a new, old mom & I think some of the stuff is ridiculous. I’m for the extra safety things like car seat rules, but some of the “health” stuff is absurd IMO. I don’t begrudge anyone who wants to do it that way as long as they mind their business when it comes to how I do it. Personally, I believe in moderation. My dad was very focused on health & denied himself many pleasures only to be diagnosed at a relatively young age with pancreatic cancer & die. It made me reexamine all the extreme restrictions that are recommended now.

my kids drank water and milk at that age. I'm a southern American that doesn't put sugar in tea (whether hot or cold) or coffee which puts me in the minority. You will see a variety of diets in USA, what's advertised is where the money is, water doesn't pay for advertising. There will be plenty of options in the parks.

Same here! People think I'm crazy, because I don't like sweet tea or coffee.

Now I don't pass up an Arnold Palmer, but it had to be made with UNsweet tea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!