What Do I Need to Avoid if....

zebrastreyepz

DIS Veteran
I don't ride Star Tours, Flight of Passage, Soarin', watch any of the movies in Epcot, Mission Space either side, or Teacups because of motion sickness (roller coasters don't bother me) AND...

And...

I'm Pooh Sized.

We haven't been since 1998.

Hi it sounds like simulators bother you. I am only making these suggestions based on motion sickness not size. I really don't know which is good for that. I would stay away from everything in the studios accept for Mummy, Gringotts, Rip Ride Rocket E.T. and it sounds like the new Fast and Furious ride will be okay.

In IOA I would stay away from Forbidden Journey, Spider-man and storm force acceleration.

What I do when I go with someone who knows me and how I get I have them ride something first then give their honest opinion. I also have watched videos on you tube to see if it might be okay. I only get motion sickness on certain simulator rides and others I am fine.

Enjoy your long awaited trip back!

Hi it sounds like simulators bother you. I am only making these suggestions based on motion sickness not size. I really don't know which is good for that. I would stay away from everything in the studios accept for Mummy, Gringotts, Rip Ride Rocket E.T. and it sounds like the new Fast and Furious ride will be okay.

In IOA I would stay away from Forbidden Journey, Spider-man and storm force acceleration.

What I do when I go with someone who knows me and how I get I have them ride something first then give their honest opinion. I also have watched videos on you tube to see if it might be okay. I only get motion sickness on certain simulator rides and others I am fine.

Enjoy your long awaited trip back!
Thank you so much!

The simulators ARE rough for me. I can't even watch people play video games unless it's scrolling.

Thank you so much!

The simulators ARE rough for me. I can't even watch people play video games unless it's scrolling.
Me either but if I take Bonine I can handle it. I still wouldn't do anything that spins but I've been able to do the simulator rides with it.

I also get very sick on motion simulators but am ok on coasters. Last trip I took Bonine and bought this herbal motion sickness patch on amazon. It helped a lot. This coming trip I am going to ask my doctor about the prescription patch because I want to enjoy the rides more. Riding in the back seat of a car makes me sick.

I also get very sick on motion simulators but am ok on coasters. Last trip I took Bonine and bought this herbal motion sickness patch on amazon. It helped a lot. This coming trip I am going to ask my doctor about the prescription patch because I want to enjoy the rides more. Riding in the back seat of a car makes me sick.
Those patches are great but I've never used them at a park. I'm going to try them on my next trip.

Universal is known for it’s simulators and screens, so be prepared for many of the rides to incorporate those elements in some way.

Hopefully, someone else can help you with the Pooh sized issues. I’m not sure about those, but here’s a breakdown for all the Universal attractions, (excluding stage shows) as far as screens and spinning go.

Universal Studios

To Avoid:
  • Despicable Me - simulator / screen, think IMAX type screen with moving seats
  • Gringotts - combination ride and simulator screens, parts of the ride you are moving on a track looking at real 3D props, but other parts of the ride you are looking at simulator screens
  • Jimmy Fallen - simulator/ screen, smaller, less intense type of ride as Despicable Me
  • Shrek - 4D movie
  • Simpson’s - simulator similar to Star Tours
  • Transformers - combination ride and simulator screens, similar to Gringotts, some of the ride set is made of actual 3D props and some parts of it are screens

Unsure:
  • Hogwarts Express - combination ride and screens, the train physically moves, but the train windows are screens simulating the landscape going by
  • Kong and Kudos - Dumbo type ride that’s spins in one large circle
  • Men In Black - No screens, ride moves on track, but some spinning in place in a couple spots
  • Fast and Furious - haven’t gotten around to riding this yet, sorry

Safe:
  • ET - actual physical ride, slow moving, goes up high, but no spinning or sudden movements
  • Rip Ride Rocket - intense coaster, but no spinning or screens
  • Mummy - indoor coaster, goes backwards, no spinning or screens
  • Woody Woodpecker - kiddy coaster

Island of Adventure

To Avoid:
  • Spiderman - combination ride and simulator screens, similar to Gringotts and Transformers, some of the ride set is made of actual 3D props and some parts of it are screens
  • Forbidden Journey - combination ride and simulator screens, similar to Gringotts, Transformers, and Spiderman in that some of the ride set is made of actual 3D props and some parts of it are screens. The difference is the ride vehicle. Think one row of soar’n type seating on steroids. This ride is much smoother than the others mentioned above, but the range of motion is much more intense. It is known for causing motion sickness.
  • Kong - combination ride and simulator screens, you physically move along a track, but there are large movie screens showing the action on each side of the bus you are riding in
  • Storm Force - tea cups ride, spinning

Unsure:
  • Caro-Seuss-el - merry-go-round
  • Cat in the Hat - actual moving ride, basically Winnie the Pooh, very slight spinning in a couple of places
  • One Fish Two Fish - Dumbo type spinning ride

Safe:
  • Dr. Dooms Fearfall - high up, but no screens or spinning
  • Ripsaw Falls - flume ride, basically Splash Mountain, may get soaked, big drop but no spinning or screens
  • Flight of the Hippogriff - kiddy coaster
  • Trolley Train ride - similar to People Mover, train ride on a track up high above the park
  • Hulk - intense coaster, no screens or spinning
  • Jurassic Park River Adventure - raft ride with drop at end, not as high as flume drop, may get soaked, no screens or spinning
  • Bilge Rat Barges - water raft ride, no screens, very mild chance of spinning as round raft floats and turns down stream, will feel like you jumped in a pool with your clothes on at the end, no one comes off dry, you have been warned
  • Poseidon’s Fury - inside dark show, there is a short section at the end with water projections, but you don’t move at all, and you could close your eyes if they bother you

I will add also that I too have motion sickness issues, but I can normally enjoy everything by either taking oral meds or using patches, so maybe talk to your Dr about options. In my opinion, the combination 3D and screen rides are some of the best rides out there at any park. I was blown away the first time I rode one. I can’t imagine going and not getting to experience them, especially FJ.

We just got back Universal. I also get motion sickness on things like Mission Space, teacups, etc. I took some natural ginger non drowsy Dramamine and was able to ride most things, though some of them I did not repeat because I did not feel well after.

Things that were fine for me: Escape from Gringotts, Hippogriff, Mummy, ET, Seuss stuff, Kong, Fast and Furious, Jurassic Park, Hulk, Ripsaw Falls

I rode Spider-Man and Forbidden Journey, but did not like the way I felt after and had to close my eyes through a lot of it, so did not ride again. I also rode the Hogwarts train several times and found that looking at the screen made me a little woozy, so I would only watch it for short bits and then turn my head.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter