What Do You Call Your Mid-Day Meal? Your Evening Meal?

South East England- Lunch for the midday meal, dinner for the evening meal.

Carts are trollies and soda is cola or just Coke.

Lunch and dinner, but as a kid I called the everyday evening meal supper, as my parents did, and once in a while I still do slip and say supper. Growing up, we only called it dinner when it was something special, like if we had company or went to my grandparents' house for a more formal meal, usually on a Sunday afternoon around 3:00 or on holidays. Dinner meant we were sitting in the dining room instead of the kitchen and using the good china and cloth napkins.

As a NYer and LIer, yes we stand ON lines, as in "get on the end of the line". In my mind, I'm not part of the line (in it), but rather standing on an imaginary line on the ground. Also, shopping carts here are sometimes called wagons.

It has always been lunch for the midday meal and dinner for the evening meal. I never even heard supper used for the evening meal until I watched Little House on the Prairie reruns.

I stand in line. If I'm on line, I'm on the Internet. :rolleyes:

Yes, I use it in that context as well, however the use of "on line" here has been around way before computers and the internet existed.

BTW, I believe when referring to the internet, the correct/preferred spelling is now online, one word.

Lunch at midday, dinner at 6pm.
Over here (although not in our family) supper is an after dinner snack at like 9 usually sweet

Lunch and supper here.
Lunch and supper, if it's just the family that's talking amongst one another. We call it dinner if we're extending an invitation or referring to a more formal occasion or an evening out. I was raised on a farm in northern Alberta and dinner was at noon, supper at 6:00 and lunch was what you took out to the farm hands in the field at 3:00 pm. :goodvibes Good memories!

Funny, that's how I feel about "soda."
I'm OK with soda - in it's proper context: club soda, soda crackers, baking soda, creme soda...but if we're talking about a miscellaneous soft drink we're talking about pop. ;)

Last edited:
Lunch and dinner. I think supper was used growing up. I live in the same state I grew up in so it isn't regional. I think it's more generational.

Growing up it was always lunch and super. Somewhere along the way when I married DH it got changed to lunch and dinner. I guess cause his family said dinner, and my parents died not to long after we were married :sad1:so I converted to his lingo.

Lunch and dinner, in Michigan.

Dinner and supper, when we lived in Indiana.

Born and raised in central British Columbia and we call it lunch and dinner. My in laws grew up in Saskatchewan and they call it dinner and supper so I'm always double checking what time we need to be there when we get invited for dinner!

I identify the type of beverage I want by name - Diet Coke, unsweet iced tea, lemonade, Sprite...

Also, its interesting that folks claim a time that the evening meal is for them. Mine is FAR later than 6:00, but that's been discussed on the restaurant boards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter