What Do You Call Your Mid-Day Meal? Your Evening Meal?

Deep South. Lunch and Supper unless it's Sunday or a holiday and then it's dinner at midday. Sunday dinner is usually a family gathering or it just reverts back to lunch.

The amount of food is what determines if it's lunch or dinner. Sunday dinner is roast, potatoes at least two ways, 4 or 5 vegetables, mac and cheese, a couple of different salads and at least two desserts. Lunch is a hotdog and fries.

And we use buggies at the grocery store and we drink coke (which could be Dr Pepper).

It's lunch and dinner at our house in Georgia. Sometimes my Dad will call dinner supper (he's in MN) but lunch is always lunch. LOL

Born and raised in Maine and I call it lunch/dinner (mid-day) and supper (evening).

Lunch and dinner here. MIL says supper.
On-line is a NYC phrase. I waited on line at the ticket booth for example. My folks use this lingo.
Thing you push a baby in - stroller, but if it's the old style ones from the 70s-80s with the large wheels,where the baby lies down it's a carriage.

Yep....we live a few miles North of NYC and its Lunch and Dinner....my mom will say supper. If anyone said supper or dinner I would know they were talking about the evening meal.

My mom grew up north of Boston and as kids we would visit our grandma who still lived in Gloucester....what we call soda was called tonic there. First time I asked for a soda they did not know what I was talking about.

MJ

Lunch is the midday meal and I say dinner for the evening meal. I consider supper the evening meal but I rarely hear anyone say that.

In this thread, my use of the word "lunch" to describe the mid-day meal and "supper" to describe the evening meal has caused some amusement. So let's talk.

First, English is an ambiguous language. Don't believe me? You have nephews and nieces, and brothers and sisters. But do you have gender-specific terms for your cousins? No, you don't. Because English is ambiguous.

Second, on different sides of The Pond, on different sides of the northern border, and even on different sides of state lines, we use English differently. Don't believe me? Go to a grocery store in Boston, where the shoppers push around "buggies," while in Chicago or Kansas City they're "carts," and in Manchester or Leeds they're... prams?

So anyway, lunch, dinner, and supper: I was brought up in the Midwest (central Illinois), and the terms "lunch" and "dinner" were used interchangeably, as were the terms "dinner" and "supper." It all depended on context.

But as a man who gets paid for using words properly, ambiguity is contra-indicated. So I just say "lunch" and "supper."

What say you, DISers?
Lunch and dinner. However, a few friends have said " do you mean lunch dinner or supper dinner?" When I've mentioned " dinner"

I spent a few weeks in Europe last month and I asked a waitress in Germany if they had " soda" and she said no. But my DH ordered a " coca cola" and he got that so they DID have soda! Ha!

Last edited:
In Texas it's normally lunch and then dinner and supper are both used interchangeably for the evening meal. Dinner is also used for a nicer midday meal.

Also most Texans say Coke to cover all non-alcoholic bubbly beverages and I sometimes say soft drink. I don't know where I got that. We also say shopping carts.

Lunch is the meal we eat mid-day and dinner is the meal we eat at night.

We call it soda not pop.

Shopping carts are what we use in supermarkets.

We call it a sub sandwich and not hoagies or grinders.

We are on line (think of standing on an imaginary line), but we usually ask a person if they are in line and get behind them. Lol.

On Sundays my mother would usually make a big pot of Gravy!

We call them Jimmies not sprinkles.

And it's always Taylor ham on a hard roll.

I'm from Northern New Jersey (Morris County).

U.K. here. Live in London and now say 'lunch' and 'dinner'.

However, I originate from northern England (Manchester) and we would say 'dinner' for midday meal and 'tea' for evening meal. And all my family still do!

And 'supper' was a light meal just before bed.

However, I originate from northern England (Manchester) and we would say 'dinner' for midday meal and 'tea' for evening meal. And all my family still do!

FUNNY STORY (which I have told on the DIS before, but it's funny as hell and bears repeating):

Mrs. Homie and I were waiting for Fantasmic to start. Seated in front of us was a British family, which included a girl of about 9. She turned to Mrs. Homie and, out of the blue, started a conversation.

GIRL (in a thick English accent that I couldn't even begin to try to place): 'Ave you 'ad yuh tea?
MRS. HOMIE: Pardon me?
GIRL: 'Ave you 'ad yuh tea?
MRS. HOMIE (as politely as humanly possible): I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're asking.
GIRL's MUM (in a genteel accent befitting The Queen): She's asking if you've had your supper, love.
MRS. HOMIE: OH! OH! Our supper!! Yes, we had supper at [somewhere], yada yada yada...

To this day Mrs. Homie and I still ask each other, " 'Ave you 'ad yuh teah??

I always thought of "tea" as being a snack/light meal between Lunch & Dinner.

That's what it is at the Grand Floridian.

It must really suck being a British visitor to WDW. What with all the "lemonade," "tea," and whatnot. And don't get me started on "fanny packs." :D

That's what it is at the Grand Floridian.

It must really suck being a British visitor to WDW. What with all the "lemonade," "tea," and whatnot. And don't get me started on "fanny packs." :D

Lol......first time someone in America told me she liked my fanny pack, our then 13 year old son's face was an absolute picture!!!! He had no clue what she meant...........

I grew up in Scotland and it was always lunch and dinner, but some friends parents would say dinner and tea........even when we lived in the North of England for almost 20 years it was still lunch and dinner to us.

But most locals in the North called lunch....dinner, and dinner......tea.......not in a cup of tea, but a meal. Very common term apparently.

Now we live further South in England we don't hear that often, it's lunch and dinner.

Some friends we have who are maybe deemed to be slightly posh by some, invite us to Supper.......they mean dinner, but we know what they mean........

I can see how it could get confusing.........

I remember asking very politely and clearly one time in the Mall at Millenia for a Fanta. Emphasis on the T......she didn't understand and eventually said oh you mean Fannah......so now I drop the T and aks for a fannah.......

I lose my Scottish accent quickly in America......:D

Interesting thread to read........

I grew up just outside of Houston and we called them lunch and supper. And if I feel like combining them, it's Lupper :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter