What Do You Call Your Mid-Day Meal? Your Evening Meal?

Lived in Midwest (Michigan and Cincinnati) and Southwest (Arizona).

Noon meal: all regions used lunch.

Evening meal: all regions used dinner. Supper was used in Michigan, but dinner was said most of the time.

Carbonated beverage: pop in Midwest, Coke in AZ. And in Michigan, your only ginger ale is Vernor's ... don't give us that weak *** Canada Dry. ;)

We all pushed a shopping cart, but interchanged grocery store and supermarket. Although Cincinnatians simply say they're going to Krogers (with the 's' on the end.)

A three way in Cincinnati is referring chili, not a ménage a trois like it would be just about anywhere else. :crowded:

And in Michigan, with the older generation, you sat on the davenport not the couch. None of those regions really said the word sofa very much.

Growing up in Michigan it was always breakfast, lunch/dinner, and supper. The word "dinner" was referred to like "Sunday dinner", the noon meal.

About the only time we use the word "dinner" meaning the evening meal is when we're on a cruise as that's what they call it.

We never used dinner for lunch. Lansing girl here, what region in MI are you in?

What debate? It's pop. :cool1:

:thumbsup2 It sure is!!!

Lunch and dinner, but as a kid I called the everyday evening meal supper, as my parents did, and once in a while I still do slip and say supper. Growing up, we only called it dinner when it was something special, like if we had company or went to my grandparents' house for a more formal meal, usually on a Sunday afternoon around 3:00 or on holidays. Dinner meant we were sitting in the dining room instead of the kitchen and using the good china and cloth napkins.

That's the way it is with me. And a cart at the grocery store is a shopping cart or a carriage.

It's funny how you don't really think about the words you use until you compare areas and cultures, etc. No wonder English is so difficult to learn and understand. Then you add in my Boston accent and it makes it even crazier. lol

Lived in Midwest (Michigan and Cincinnati) and Southwest (Arizona).

Noon meal: all regions used lunch.

Evening meal: all regions used dinner. Supper was used in Michigan, but dinner was said most of the time.

Carbonated beverage: pop in Midwest, Coke in AZ. And in Michigan, your only ginger ale is Vernor's ... don't give us that weak *** Canada Dry. ;)

We all pushed a shopping cart, but interchanged grocery store and supermarket. Although Cincinnatians simply say they're going to Krogers (with the 's' on the end.)

A three way in Cincinnati is referring chili, not a ménage a trois like it would be just about anywhere else. :crowded:

And in Michigan, with the older generation, you sat on the davenport not the couch. None of those regions really said the word sofa very much.

We never used dinner for lunch. Lansing girl here, what region in MI are you in?

:thumbsup2 It sure is!!!

Gratiot County, all my life.

I'm in Georgia. My family had lunch and supper. My ex-husband's family, who were country folk, had dinner and supper.

I use Lunch for midday and Supper/Dinner interchangeably for the evening meal.

My mother argues that Dinner is supposed to be lunch, because in regional french "diner" is lunch and "super" is supper. But it turns out that's a regional thing, sooooo... yah.

Lunch and supper.

Growing up, we'd use dinner for lunch, but at some point that morphed over into lunch and supper most of the time, with big meals (Christmas, Easter, etc.) being the only time dinner is usually used.

And, lived in NC all my life.

(Actually, I irrationally dislike the fact that Disney uses dinner for supper in their reservations. It grates every time I see it.)

Ok - it's breakfast, lunch and dinner here in MI (Troy). My in-laws say supper but they mean dinner (Richmond, MI) and they also serve something called night-lunch which is a whack-a-do term for after dinner meal on certain nights and it was pizza. It's also pop not coke or soda or anything else. We call it a cart at the grocery store.

Here in NY State it's lunch in the mid-day and dinner in the evening. But don't get me started on the "soda" vs. "pop" debate.

Lunch and dinner in the parts of NYS that I've lived in, too. (But I've been in both pop and soda regions, and sometimes I use the "wrong" one for where I am.)

Lunch at Dinner at our house.

We live in the South, but we are from the North.

We say soda, cart and couch.

But we drink tea, not coffee. (I lived in England during my informative years, and can't stand coffee and like my tea with a little milk/cream)

Breakfast, Lunch and Wine...just kidding

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

Growing up it was Breakfast, Dinner and Supper. I stopped using that when I went to college.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter