What Do You Do With All That Bling?!!

Here are closeups that show the roughness. I might try to smooth it out - if not (worried about ruining it) I will just clear coat it a few times.

btw, what do you think about the bib area? I'm not sure if I should add the 26 or leave it blank. I had a thought that I will add a couple of pegs above and use that area as a flip card day countdown...so as I get closer to the marathon I will flip through the days remaining...eventually end on the empty bib or on the 26.
20151018_164950.jpg

20151018_165000.jpg

Since then I helped fill some rough spots - IT IS HARD TO PAINT!!! My Hand was shaking a few times and it came out rough. I wonder if it would have been better to mask off areas first - maybe not, it probably would have take a LONNNNG time.

Anyway, here is the final version - looks ok from long distance. Also here is what it should look like.
View attachment 129740 View attachment 129741
Looks great! Was working on mine yesterday. I'm still not finished I have a lot more smaller spots to paint.

Here are closeups that show the roughness. I might try to smooth it out - if not (worried about ruining it) I will just clear coat it a few times.

btw, what do you think about the bib area? I'm not sure if I should add the 26 or leave it blank. I had a thought that I will add a couple of pegs above and use that area as a flip card day countdown...so as I get closer to the marathon I will flip through the days remaining...eventually end on the empty bib or on the 26.
View attachment 129742

View attachment 129743
Great idea for the bib spot!

Since then I helped fill some rough spots - IT IS HARD TO PAINT!!! My Hand was shaking a few times and it came out rough. I wonder if it would have been better to mask off areas first - maybe not, it probably would have take a LONNNNG time.

Anyway, here is the final version - looks ok from long distance. Also here is what it should look like.
View attachment 129740 View attachment 129741

Wow that looks great.

Thanks. Gotta wait a day or two to let it completely dry before I clear coat it. Then all it will need is a stand and some more medals!

I wonder if I have enough wood to make the other two: :)

disney_run_image.png

well, let me fill up the first one with medals before I get ahead of myself.

Edit: looks like I decided to get ahead of myself after all. :) Donald, you are next!

Last edited:
Not done yet, but I noticed a slight problem - there is just not enough space to hold the future medals. Right now will hang medals off the arms and neck, but space is at a premium...see example with just one medal.

Btw, have him in a stand right now, but might hang him on the wall instead.

20151021_003819.jpg

Sooooo, it looks like will be adding a running buddy:
2015-10-22 11.10.38.jpg

You could mount a set of hooks anywhere on the body if you hang it on a wall. It looks awesome.

You could mount a set of hooks anywhere on the body if you hang it on a wall. It looks awesome.
I've thought about that and I'm struggling with this because I'm scared to add hooks in. I know it is probably the better way to go but I can't convince myself of that yet.

I've thought about that and I'm struggling with this because I'm scared to add hooks in. I know it is probably the better way to go but I can't convince myself of that yet.
Maybe get the ones that use a removable adhesive backing to see if you like it. If you hate it, remove the hooks - no holes.

Not done yet, but I noticed a slight problem - there is just not enough space to hold the future medals. Right now will hang medals off the arms and neck, but space is at a premium...see example with just one medal.

Btw, have him in a stand right now, but might hang him on the wall instead.

View attachment 130423

Sooooo, it looks like will be adding a running buddy:
View attachment 130424
Maybe attach a longer piece to the bottom so that the medals hang there and Mickey is above them (hanging the whole thing on the wall)? :confused3

You guys are so creative!

I just looked on etsy for a holder I liked that will hold my bibs as well. There are some you can write your PRs on. They're fun.

I just moved and haven't bought one yet so my medals and bibs are in a bag behind my couch waiting for me to get a holder. I think I'll do one for Disney and one for the other races.

As I mentioned before, I decided to use the following image as my motivation:
disney_image.png

I have completed the Mickey a few weeks ago and now I finished the Donald, I will not be doing the Goofy - don't need it.
20151018_164939.jpg

Here is how I did the Donald...I cut it out like before, but the painting was done differently. I decided to mask out the areas and spray paint them rather than hand paint them. Here are some pics of the steps:

This is half way done, I had already painted the areas under the blue masking before

20151120_213937.jpg

At the end I did the outline painting in black...so the whole thing is covered in black.
20151126_103953.jpg

Then I started peeling it away:
20151126_113006.jpg

And finally I'm left with this:
20151126_115656.jpg

Little bit of cleanup and touch-up left and then to hang it.

Attachments

• 20151128_152406.jpg
    20151128_152406.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 11
Another year of medals accumulated and nowhere to put them, so we improvised and grabbed some medals from our Fall races and they became instant tree decorations! Voila!!! medal tree.JPG
Sorry for the poor picture quality!!

Here is what I plan on doing when I hang it...based on @Ariel484 suggestion I bought one of those metal holders that will stretch between the two guys:

View attachment 137706

So this is one of my last post here on the boards, I hope you like the pics and it was nice talking to most of you. Bye.
You just did a fantastic job on these! Thanks for sharing, and hope you'll decide to stick around and talk Disney running with us all in the future!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter