What do you give a 21 year old daughter for Christmas?

This. My first reaction when I saw the title of this thread was How is this even a problem? The obvious answer is cash--the gift that nearly everyone can enjoy.

My parents started doing this when I was around 19. My mom would say "It's always the right color and never needs to be returned." I was disappointed at first to not have gifts to unwrap, be surprised, etc. After a short time, I came to be able to count on that cash for whatever plans I was trying to make.

Open an account for $250 in her name at Vanguard with the understanding that you'll match the $250 gift amount every year for the next 5 years, provided she contributes at least the same amount. Encourage her to research the funds, learn about the power of compounding interest and watch her money grow. Yea not the traditional gift, but in 30 years she'll realize it was the best gift ever. Is still thank my dear dad (RIP) who turned me onto Vanguard.

Or socks work too!

I am also a huge Vanguard fan and have been since I first started my job 30 yrs ago. It's amazing how much it grows over time.
Do they even have funds that can be opened with such a small amount? I helped ds22 open Roth & regular investment accounts around 2 yrs ago and I recall a $3000 minimum per fund.

My DD is 24, works and still lives at home. I struggled with ideas for her this year but settled on things for her car (trash can, vent clips, license plate frame), a new suit case (her grandmother borrowed hers last month and somehow the wheel broke), a purse that she picked out and a lighted make-up mirror. She has never been into make-up and rarely wears it but has been wanting to try. I also signed her up for Birchbox and Ipsy boxes. The first of each are under the tree and we’ll see which she likes best and cancel the other. A few other small things, socks which she totally loves and nice shampoo and toiletry type items. My mother always gives her (and me) a gift card to Kohl’s or JCPenny and we all go together after Christmas and make a day of it including lunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter