What Do You Like About Where You Live? What Do You Hate About It?

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
What I love:
-it's a mid-sized town (just over 100,000) with a university, so we have plenty of amenities but it's not too big
-crime is very low
-lots of parks and green space and seven leash-free dog parks
-lots of arts and music events and festivals and good local restaurants
-the university campus is very pretty
-it's Canada, so we have universal health care, policies I like about refugees and human rights, and a Prime Minister I feel pretty good about

What I don't love
-house prices and rent have been going up a lot because Toronto prices are even higher. Not too bad for me since I own my home but gets harder and harder for younger people to buy a house
-winter. If it wasn't for winter, it would be just about perfect here.

Middle Tennessee

Love:

--Ummm - I'll get back to you on that.
--No, wait! The Predators are playing for the Stanley Cup. The local pride for the team is insane, and it's a great relief from reading the news in the rest of the country/world.

Dislike:

--100 people/week are moving here.
--Traffic was already bad, and now it's just evil.
--Newcomers are flooding areas that the locals don't visit b/c now they're too expensive. (Gentrification.) So anything advertised as trendy is probably going to be flooded by new residents and tourists.
--Public transport doesn't go anywhere you need to it go.
--While the city itself has open arms, the surrounding counties do not always share that same attitude.

Interesting take - we live close! East Nash - Lockeland Springs - here! I had to say "hi" though.

We live in a "suburb" of Charleston, SC. I say "suburb" because it's not exactly like the suburbs I grew up in outside Houston, TX, and Charleston's not a major metro area to me.

Pros:
small town feel- love our neighbors, and everyone is so friendly, we have an actual downtown square, and there are great town events
low cost of living here means we could pick the best school district to live in
close to beach, lake, river, forest, and lots of historic places
activities always going on nearby and things to do when family visits
convenient and pretty diverse shopping and restaurants in the area
the complexity of the area's population, with people who have been here their whole lives, and others like us who moved here- there is a large military population so there's people from all over

Cons:
so far from our families
the heat and humidity- though DH and I are used to it growing up in Houston, but when we retire, we've going somewhere cooler!
car taxes- seriously, I'm paying taxes on a car that's paid off and 20 years old? and no vehicle or emissions testing so people drive cars that are super polluting and falling apart dangerous? and then you're not putting the money collected back into the roads? ridiculous
rude tourists

car taxes- seriously, I'm paying taxes on a car that's paid off and 20 years old? and no vehicle or emissions testing so people drive cars that are super polluting and falling apart dangerous? and then you're not putting the money collected back into the roads? ridiculous
rude tourists

We pay car taxes too, city and county. Somehow, someone in Jefferson City deemed that my 1987 Jeep Cherokee should be taxed at $25 per year. Missouri also requires an inspection before you renew your plates. Ostensibly, it's to keep crumbling and polluting vehicles off the road. I don't think it works; if you know a mechanic you can get an inspection sticker with a heavy handshake.

I take it you have not been to Spokane in winter. It does not lack the white stuff. The shoveling, the city's inability to plow in a logical manner, the freeze, and finally the melt.:faint:
Bahaha true, I have not! Portland also has an inability to handle snow and its aftermath, despite it happening nearly every winter (and not for months, either -- a week or two in total, at most.)

Loves: Close to New Orleans and just some of the best people to live around. A lot of fun.

Hates: The Hurricanes by far are the worst

Bahaha true, I have not! Portland also has an inability to handle snow and its aftermath, despite it happening nearly every winter (and not for months, either -- a week or two in total, at most.)

Lol. It is true that Portland has a great talent being completely and utterly suprised snow comes out of the sky every year. I just avoid that week. I live up near Bham, which is ever working towards its life goals: to achieve the weirdness and house prices of Portland.

You're reminding me that it has been far too long since I've been to powells. I was going in July and now I'm going to TDL. The suffering.:lmao:

Spokane plows but the great mystery is whether or not they have a cohesive idea of where to move the snow. They plow cars in, curbs in, fire hydrants. These enormous berms of snow appear in the middle of the street so should you turn the wrong way or be forced to swerve, or hit a corner wrong, the car bottoms out on the berm. The city does not shut down ever- it just assures you that the road crews will be by eventually, and in the meantime, coudn't you walk?

I live in a town that's got as many residents as the student population of my high school. The odd thing about it is that it's in the middle of the 3rd largest city in my major metro area.

Pros:

1. I get the best of both worlds: the amenities that come with living in a major metro area such as proximity to shopping, restaurants, international airport, museums, theaters, etc. but when I'm in my small town I feel like I'm in the country. I've had to pull my car over for people riding horses, ducks, a turtle crossing the street, a flock of guinea fowl and a herd of pigs that got loose. The mayor campaigned by walking down every residential street and knocking on every door.

2. The town has an interesting history. It was started by Eleanor Roosevelt during the Great Depression as a place for urban dwellers to start farms and become more self sufficient.

3. We live within a couple of miles of 4 great parks and 10 minutes from a branch of the surrounding city's excellent library system.

4. The residents are extremely friendly and the DPS takes great care of the residents. The DPS personally monitors home alarm systems for a one time set-up fee. When I first moved to the town I locked myself out of my house with only my phone for company. That was a real problem since I needed to pick up my son from school. I called the city thinking they would give my the number of a locksmith but when they heard my story they dispatched a police officer to take me to school to pick up my son since the school was within city limits.

5. The cost of living is affordable.

6. It's the right distance from my parents: close enough that I can go and come from their place in a day but not so close that they stop by unannounced.

Cons:

1. There aren't four proper seasons and the summers are horrible. The hail storms are ridiculous. Hail shouldn't be softball sized.

2. The surrounding city is the largest city in the US without public transit.

3. The prevailing politics don't align with mine.

4. Lots of people from out of state are moving to the area because it's affordable and are pricing out the locals. Many of them are also ruder than the locals.

South Central PA

Rural area, lots of orchards, farms and horse farms nearby. Almost all my neighbors own goats and chickens.

Friendly, but everyone minds their own business.

1/2-45 minutes from large "cities" to get any essential we need.

Cost of living pretty decent.

Great farmers markets and flea markets and fresh produce.

Dislikes:
Not enough snow/rain/cold dreary weather.

Humidity - yuck.

Road work takes forever because immediately around me are all "backroads" so they do not get priority attention.

But mostly this:

The police cars have bumper stickers that, if the ACLU saw them, there would be lawsuits. Almost every yard has a sign for the presidential candidate that I didn't vote for.

Love: being close to beaches, the "city" (Manhattan), great restaurants, culture Hate: taxes and traffic

North of Dallas in Frisco:

Pros:
Good job market
Affordable houses
Just about everything available locally
Usually little snow

Cons:
The heat in the summer
Lack of culture
Way too many snooty people
Traffic

South Louisiana

Pros:
- yummy unique food
- friendly people who will give you the shirt off their back
- eclectic and interesting history
- intermingling of many different cultures (French, Spanish, English, African, German, Native American, etc.)
- proximity to the Caribbean
- Mardi Gras holidays

Cons:
- the political atmosphere does not align with my own sentiments
- hurricane/flood aftermaths
- not the slightest bit pedestrian- or bike-friendly
- rampant political corruption
- lack of concern over environmental exploitation
- too many people drink and drive

South Mississippi.

I like that we live within "yelling" distance of my brother, sister and two nieces (can't see their houses for the trees between but we can hear each other if we yell).

Love that we are within a short distance to the beach, but would like to be a little closer.

Love that my kids are all close by.

Love the laid back way with which most people around here live and do things. Slow living. Family gatherings on Sundays.

No harsh winters. But the heat in the dead of summer can be brutal. Which is why most of us love the beach or the lake.

Water sports are big here and honestly there aren't many months where most can't be enjoyed. My favorite is the lounge chair by the water watching the kids have fun in the water.

Proximity to NOLA. Close enough to visit and enjoy most any weekend.

I do hate that most people have to work away from home to make a decent wage. Either by working away during the week, 2-3 weeks a month or commuting for a long ways. But for most the pros out weigh it.

Water sports are big here and honestly there aren't many months where most can't be enjoyed. My favorite is the lounge chair by the water watching the kids have fun in the water.

Hah! Lounging in a chair by the water is also my favourite water sport...

Loves: Close to New Orleans and just some of the best people to live around. A lot of fun.

Hates: The Hurricanes by far are the worst

South Louisiana

Pros:
- yummy unique food
- friendly people who will give you the shirt off their back
- eclectic and interesting history
- intermingling of many different cultures (French, Spanish, English, African, German, Native American, etc.)
- proximity to the Caribbean
- Mardi Gras holidays

Cons:
- the political atmosphere does not align with my own sentiments
- hurricane/flood aftermaths
- not the slightest bit pedestrian- or bike-friendly
- rampant political corruption
- lack of concern over environmental exploitation
- too many people drink and drive

Yep, good ole south Louisiana - best food in the whole US of A!!! :thumbsup2 Took years to realize 'everyone' didn't season with Tony's, Tabasco, roux, onions and bell peppers!! ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!