What Do You Like About Where You Live? What Do You Hate About It?

Twin Cities, MN

Pros:
Education is top notch
Spring, Summer, Fall
Good public transportation
Great job market, with great pay
No big creepy crawlies
Lakes, thousands of them
Great restaurant scene
Targets around every corner
Walmarts are not!!!

Cons:
January
February
No ocean

Seattle

Pros
  • The economy is booming and the jobs pay very well
  • No income taxes
  • Scenery is great, mountains and Puget Sound
  • Temperatures are very moderate, never too hot or cold
  • Progressive transportation policies that are making it easier to commute by bicycle while discouraging driving to work
  • Transit system is good and they are building a subway stations by our house
  • Schools are good
  • Very casual dress, you don't have to dress up to go anywhere
  • Property tax rates are low

Negative
  • Sales tax is high although you can avoid it by ordering online
  • Hours of daylight are very short since we are father north than almost every other city in the US and even some of the major cities in Canada
  • Very cloudy in the winter
  • Economic cleansing, city government is making it harder and harder for the lower and middle class residents to remain in the city. Many are having to move to the suburbs

Seattle

Pros
  • The economy is booming and the jobs pay very well
  • No income taxes
  • Scenery is great, mountains and Puget Sound
  • Temperatures are very moderate, never too hot or cold
  • Progressive transportation policies that are making it easier to commute by bicycle while discouraging driving to work
  • Transit system is good and they are building a subway stations by our house
  • Schools are good
  • Very casual dress, you don't have to dress up to go anywhere
  • Property tax rates are low

Negative
  • Sales tax is high although you can avoid it by ordering online
  • Hours of daylight are very short since we are father north than almost every other city in the US and even some of the major cities in Canada
  • Very cloudy in the winter
  • Economic cleansing, city government is making it harder and harder for the lower and middle class residents to remain in the city. Many are having to move to the suburbs
Ordering on line does not relieve you of your sales tax obligations it only allows you to cheat. Unless your state does not charge sales tax or is somehow different. I know several people who have been caught not paying sales tax for on line purchases and each time it turned into a miserable situation. I my self was audited but have never purchased on line.

I'm in Louisville, KY

Pros:
-The part of town where we live is very safe
- We are super close to my parents and my in laws
- tons of shopping within 10 miles
- Good expressway system for getting to the father reaches of the city
- Decent weather most of the time
- Cost of living is reasonable
- Teachers are paid very well here (I'm a teacher)

Cons:
-Any place I want to travel is at least 10 hours away.
- Crime in the city as a whole is on the rise
-Despite the good interstate system, traffic can get really backed up.

Pro~ Cubs and Wrigley.
Great market 6 blocks from me. If I am ever lucky enough to move I would really try to to find a place that had similar, its THAT good
We have a pretty big WDW fan base

Cons~ Winter, taxes,winter, crime, winter :rolleyes1
takes 15 hours (driving) to get to anywhere that doesn't look just like here. All out border states look the same geographically. A weekend getaway is basically just a weekend in the same thing only paying to stay there.
Cookie-cutter neighborhoods

And here's a petty one but it REALLY bugs me, especially on return~ the dreary airports. You fly to somewhere tropical or warm and their airports are super colorful, inviting, uplifting even...then you get to O'Hare and Midway. I guess I get the Battleship Grey color scheme for Midway, but O'Hare? Apparently winter grey is the theme to have 24/7. Blech

People leaving in droves, hope to be one of them before it happens in an Urn

See, I think Chicago is one of the most beautiful cities in the world! And the history, the culture, the food...

But I've been in Chicago in the winter, and OMG. Just, OMG.
Oh it IS.....from mid-June(if lucky like so far) to early October..just enough time to thaw out for the nightmare that is cold, grey , wind chill winter.

Ordering on line does not relieve you of your sales tax obligations it only allows you to cheat. Unless your state does not charge sales tax or is somehow different. I know several people who have been caught not paying sales tax for on line purchases and each time it turned into a miserable situation. I my self was audited but have never purchased on line.
Who volunteers to pay sales tax for online shopping?

Who volunteers to pay sales tax for online shopping?
Lots of people that I know. It's not worth getting caught for a little bit of money. I suspect you'll see it more and more. States are losing a lot of money from sales tax cheats. It's not hard to get caught. I would be concerned had I not paid.

I love how convenient our location is to shopping, restaurants, and the interstate.

I hate our HOA.

I'm in Curtice, Ohio.
I love that we are on Lake Erie. I live in the country but am only 20 minutes from downtown Toledo. I love being 15 minutes away from access to the Jet Express to go to the Lake Erie Islands.
We are 30 minutes from Sandusky and it takes 40 minutes to get to Cedar Point and all there is to do there. I bet you can guess where our weekends are spent right now :)

Two hours from the beach, less than three hours from the mountains, college sports, pro soccer, Carolina Hurricanes, Durham Bulls, moderate weather (at least in winter), good schools, Southern hospitality ... What's not to like?

I forgot one more con to our area and state: no major professional sports teams of any kind!!!

I personally love going to pro games, or at least getting to watch the home team on TV and the excitement of the whole city of fans. I am a die-hard Houston fan- Astros, Rockets, and especially Texans- grew up a "Love Ya Blue" Oilers fan too. Getting to meet some of these players as a kid was awesome. When the Rockets won back to back NBA championships- OMG it was a major celebration!

Here in South Carolina everyone is into college sports. It's all about Clemson or Carolina- whether you went to either school or not, most people have an affiliation, and I don't get it. I cheer for UoH Cougars but that's because I went to school there. UT, Texas A&M, Baylor, Texas Tech, Rice, etc.- I had friends that went there, but I'm not going to have the same affiliation. We don't buy the sports packages on cable where we can get all the pro games, so we rarely get to see our Houston teams play. It was really cool to get to see an Astros Spring Training game last year when we visited WDW.

We do have some semi-pro teams locally in Charleston that are fun to watch. Tickets don't cost a lot and you can get up close to the action. We had a basketball team the first few years we lived here and got to sit court side for a game which was a real treat. We have Riverdogs baseball and Stingrays hockey now and get to a few games a year for each. I'm still jealous of my mom and stepdad and step brother and sister-in-law who have season tickets to the Texans...

I live in the country, on a farm. Love the fact that houses aren't right on top of each other, there are wide open spaces. Our address is a small mid-Michigan town, love the smallness of the town (only about 3,000 people) and that there is very little crime (serious crime) in this area. You can walk at night and feel safe. Love the small stores, and getting personal service from those we frequent. Love that the tellers at the bank ask how my Mom is doing anytime I go inside to do my banking, things like that. I love the city park, that has a walking path all the way around it, I can walk across the railroad track and walk in the cemetery too. So quiet and peaceful. And most of our family lives in the general area, with one granddaughter about an hour's drive away.

What I don't like is the CAFO (concentrated animal feeding operation) about a mile up the road from us. Our area used to be so quiet, but with thousands of cows on that "farm" there are trucks going by all the time (milk trucks, feed trucks, construction trucks (he's always expanding) and the manure trucks/tractors. It's never ending. And all that heavy traffic has ruined the road, the the county just keeps patching it. Patches on top of patches. It hasn't been resurfaced in so many years, it's pathetic.

We have a "second home" in Northern Michigan and spend as much time as we can there during the warmer weather months. It's 30 acres and we park our 5th wheel camper there, plus it came with another camper so we use that as a guest camper for family and friends. Love spending time up there, normally it's so quiet you only hear the wind in the trees and birds singing. We have trails in the woods for walking and quad/Ranger riding, pick blackberries in the summer, and DH has a shooting range in the back. We enjoy a lot of outdoor cooking and a campfire in the evenings, especially love it when family or friends are sharing it with us. The whole area has tons of riding trails so we go exploring all the time. We have some great neighbors on the one side of us. We are next to state land on one side and there is a small beaver pond near us, and we can occasionally hear loons. Love that! The only thing I don't care for is the other neighbors do a lot of shooting, which would be fine but they do it right by their cabin which is very close to our campers and the larger calibre guns are just so loud. Sometimes they'll shoot for an hour or two in the morning, again in the afternoon, and again before dark. It does get tiresome, especially when they own 160 acres and could easily make a range at the BACK of their property, like we did (so it isn't loud for the neighbors). But thankfully they aren't always up there at the same time that we are, and when they are I just put ear plugs in my ears when they start shooting.

I grew up in Mid-Michigan. :flower1:

North of Dallas in Frisco:

Pros:
Good job market
Affordable houses
Just about everything available locally
Usually little snow

Cons:
The heat in the summer
Lack of culture
Way too many snooty people
Traffic
I'm in the next town over. The affordable housing isn't very affordable anymore. Or if you can afford a house, the property taxes are going to kill you.

I'm in the next town over. The affordable housing isn't very affordable anymore. Or if you can afford a house, the property taxes are going to kill you.
Houses still seem to be affordable compared to most other big city areas. But I'm with you when it comes to increases. I definitely should have listed the crazy property taxes. I'm ready to move to Sherman.

Houses still seem to be affordable compared to most other big city areas. But I'm with you when it comes to increases. I definitely should have listed the crazy property taxes. I'm ready to move to Sherman.
I worry that pretty soon it will only be the 6 figure income earners that can afford to live here. So I worry about my kids after they get out of school they won't be able to afford to live around here and will have to move out of the area.

I worry that pretty soon it will only be the 6 figure income earners that can afford to live here. So I worry about my kids after they get out of school they won't be able to afford to live around here and will have to move out of the area.
That is a good point. Hopefully the increases will slow down. My son is out of school but not on a career track yet. He might just have to settle when the time comes.

Can I ask if you're west or east of us? I might be jealous depending. ;)

That is a good point. Hopefully the increases will slow down. My son is out of school but not on a career track yet. He might just have to settle when the time comes.

Can I ask if you're west or east of us? I might be jealous depending. ;)
I'm in the #1 city to live in (insert eye roll here). Well not anymore we aren't but....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter