What do you mean you don't want to go? A PTR.

angelmav

DIS Veteran
Welcome, I have never actually written a Pre-Trippy. I have written a few post mortems, but it has been awhile since I last set foot on any Disney property, and this, out of necessity, has to be a different kind of trip.

So for starters, let me introduce you to the cast, there is me, Angelmav (insert applause here) the grizzled Disney vet. I have been to the world 3 times, 2 times to DLP, and once to the land. But, the last time I was at WDW was 10 years ago pre-divorce and before my oldest bunch flew the nest.

Then there is lil mav, a precocious little girl who has never been to any theme park and finds the coin operated rides at the mall to be major entertainment. Yes, I started over, yes I am in over my head! This trip is really for her, but she is happy with absolutely anything and everything we do, so she is easy to please!

Then there is Grumpy. Grumpy does not want to go on this trip. Grumpy doesn't like things that are 'plastic' and is not excited about the idea. Grumpy also proclaimed after I was knee deep into dining reservations that maybe it wasn't a good idea to go, and why can't I respect grumpy's feelings? Now, you should know, last year we bent over backwards to pull off a trip to Grumpy's homeland, Greece, so I feel like I am kinda owed this one. Admittedly, I would take this trip (which also happens over my birthday) even if it were solo. Grumpy is sorta/kinda back on board (as of this afternoon), and this is where I am hoping to get some input as to help make this a win for Grumpy also.

In part, I am to blame for why Grumpy feels this way. About 8 years ago before we had lil mav, I drug Grumpy to DLP to get my Disney fix. It was a short trip, and while I had fun, sort of, Grumpy did not. You see, DLP is still just a theme park. Grumpy would have rather gone to Paris. That tactical error on my part has weighed heavily all these years since. But now that lil mav is expressing an interest, it seemed like the perfect time to try and change that.

Now, we are foodies who live in the PNW. Our favorite place is Din Thai Fung, and even lil mav gets her fill of dumpling goodness. We actually have been really disappointed with the food here since moving back from Europe. So this trip really is about the meals, with the experiences thrown in. So I have been in the weeds trying to build a gastronomical itinerary with not as much thought put in to what we will actually be doing there.

So that brings us to the meat and potato's of the matter, the details. We will Fly early the morning of September 27, arriving roughly 6pm to Orlando. We are staying at Shades of Green, so I will have to arrange some sort of car service that includes a car seat. (Recommendations welcome!)

We will be staying 8 nights with four planned park days. Why is that you ask? One, we want to explore the resorts and do some other things, (recommendations welcome) two, Grumpy has a nerve problem in one foot, so days off plus some planned massage at the spa are on the agenda. It really doesn't bother me to go at this pace, the important thing is that we are going together. Plus lil mav has no concept of what this is all about, so if we miss 90% of the things we could be doing, well, that will hopefully be for next time.

Here is what our days look like so far.

Arrival night, I have a 915 ADR at Cali Grill to kick things off. I am hoping that I can get this down to 845, it started at 950 and I keep moving it left. Now, to some that will sound late, but for our time zone it is 615 or when we normally have dinner at home. Which poses a problem for early starts, as rest is really important for this trip. I can't really judge this too well, so have late starts planned, but if everyone is ready to go, we can ride early. That is a play it by ear that I can't really plan for. Must be patient, must be patient...

Our first day Saturday September 28, we have planned at Animal Kingdom. I want to WOW them out of the gate. I have a 950 breakfast planned at Tusker House, which will hopefully get things going, then I booked a Festival of the Lion King package with Tiffins. I know, I know, it might not seem like you get much with this package (though food price can come out in our favor), but to a first time visitor (Grumpy and lil mav adore nature/animals, this seemed like a no brainer for the reserved seating and guided safari tour to make them feel lik VIP's. But what to ride? Grumpy loves Avatar, but I am worried FOP will be too intense. lil mav has never been on a real ride. If I push the throttle too much, it could wreck the rest of the trip after the first day! We have dinner at 625, so how to fill this day is a real challenge. I showed lil Mav a youtube video of the ride, and she seemed up for it, but is practicing on a little plastic zebra on wheels to simulate. I was offered the zebra as well. This is my biggest dilemma for this day. Lil mav also loves Dino's, so I fill like we can ride that, though it can be intense too. I really struggle with that part. So, with that, I am going to break off and hope someone reads up to this point, before I continue with our itinerary.

I was going to keep everything chronological, but, that is probably more confusing than just adding to the thread, so ignore this post. No refunds!

Last edited:
I'm reading!!!!:rotfl2:I hoping that Grumpy will enjoy this trip more when he see how Lil mav reacts to the magic. The Kilimanjaro Safari's are great ride mellow ride and they can see all the animals they want, Plus there two walk through attractions that they can see more animal, and of course the awesome shows. My kids also really enjoy Kali River Rapids if you don't mind getting wet. It still is pretty hot in Florida in September so it will help cool everyone off. Great start so far and can't wait to read more.

I'm reading!!!!:rotfl2:I hoping that Grumpy will enjoy this trip more when he see how Lil mav reacts to the magic. The Kilimanjaro Safari's are great ride mellow ride and they can see all the animals they want, Plus there two walk through attractions that they can see more animal, and of course the awesome shows. My kids also really enjoy Kali River Rapids if you don't mind getting wet. It still is pretty hot in Florida in September so it will help cool everyone off. Great start so far and can't wait to read more.

Thank you for the suggestions, I think we will be up for the Kali River Rapids. I'm thinking if the day is a hit, maybe scheduling FOP for the end of the day and see how it goes. Since we have the FOTLK package booked, it saves us a FP on the Safari. I think Grumpy will love it, gotta get Grumpy there first though lol!

Day two is a non park day, as I want to give Grumpy some recovery time. I am hoping the Spa/massage at Shades of Green is decent, and clean. Plan to try their playground with lil mav while grumpy gets worked over. I originally had my heart set on trying to score a Cali Grill brunch ADR, what was I smoking to think that would be available? But, I did score an 1145 Raglan Road Brunch, which, truth be told, might be the better option considering the entertainment. I had originally scheduled Homecomin for this meal, but I am hoping to do Hoop De Doo Review this trip two days later and the food seemed too repetitive. The plan after lunch is to do some light shopping at Disney Springs, not sure what else is really worth checking out? We have some time to kill though as we have a 745 dinner reservation this day at Narcooses. I am not too concerned about either restaurant, just filling the gap time wise. Perhaps some pool time back at the resort.

My DD loves animals so on our last trip we spent two full consecutive days at AK and this was before Pandora was open. So, I am sure you will be able to find things to do. It's Tough to Be a Bug should be on your to do list. It is fun interaction.

For Day 2 - pool time should be a nice way to spend the day.

How old is Lil mav?

I originally had my heart set on trying to score a Cali Grill brunch ADR, what was I smoking to think that would be available? .

I have heard that the Cali Grill Brunch grill drops later for available times so keep checking. You might het some pixie dust. pixiedust:

Lil Mav will be seven on this trip, and as we like to say now, she is a little six, so likely a little seven too.

I was thinking we could see one of the new Disney movies in the Springs as Lion King drops this summer, but it may be gone from the theater by then. We don't usually go out to movies, but took her to a Dogs Journey Home, and she proceeded to loudly eat popcorn like a person having their last meal that we just had to laugh at the carnage that was taking place. So if there is something good playing, that might be a fun thing to do while there as well. Possibly Splittsville one day...but bowling? Really?

On to day three, and this is the day that I can not get one reservation to drop I need, and that is an early lunch at Sci-Fi. That restaurant refuses to show up on this day. I currently have breakfast scheduled at H & V, but will be canceling as Lil Mav informed me she doesn't like any of the characters. That is all I need, her to cause an incident on our second park day! Security!

So for Hollywood Studios, the bigger worry is what Star Wars will do to the crowds. Have to play that by ear. I have the fantasmic package with a 450 ADR at The Hollywood Brown Derby which I think well be alright with. I am sure they will both enjoy TSMM, and muppets 3-D. I kind of draw a blank on what else there is to do in this park. I can't see us doing ToT or RnRC. Slinky dog, for sure though. This feels like a good chance to introduce some rides, as I think our ride heavy day will be at the Magic Kingdom park day 3. I happen to love ToT, but understand who I am catering to. Fantasmic should blow them away. I draw a blank on why I have this park second, but it must be to avoid a Halloween party at the MK. I feel like this is a day that could be a letdown if we don't map it out well, as it is probably the least interesting park for us.

ETA, scored my 1115 Sci Fi lunch today! Woohoo! Was waiting for that to open up, and had my pick of times. Originally had 11 then moved it 15 min later just in case. Figure if were hungry for a burger early we will just check in early. One year we did a grand gathering and had the earliest available ADR. We showed up before they were open, and they were like, why are you here? They let us wait until they had everything staged. A few more families then showed up behind us, but it was pretty col to see the place empty. Soooo stoked that I got that ADR, plus it should give enough of a window to work up an appetite for the Brown Derby. Early lunch instead of breakfast!

Our day four is another rest/non park day. This also is my Birthday. Right now I have lunch at the Edison planned and a 6pm Cali Grill reservation. Both of those are placeholders for what I actually want. Morimoto's for lunch and Hoop De Doo for dinner. They only take reservations 90 days out at Morimoto's, and I want to have everything in place before prepaying for a meal at Hoop de Doo, so I figured it made sense to have a backup plan in place in case I am not able to get either. I have never been to Hoop De Doo, but even though I am thinking the food will be rather pedestrian, the fun factor however is what I am after, and expect lil mav to have a blast as well. Grumpy may just have to suck that one up and deal with the corny humor. But considering Asian is Grumpy's favorite, I think that would give the day the proper balance of food and fun. Also, it would be nice to poke around the resort there, as Grumpy would see that there is alot of nature at WDW to appreciate.

Day five is our longest day of the trip, and that is one that sort of fell into place. I really don't want to do alot of planned breakfasts since I have no idea what time everyone will want to start, but lil mav has taken to waking up and starting the day early, so maybe by this point well have our clocks properly adjusted to Florida time to make this work. This is our Magic Kingdom day, and the day I expect to pretty much be in the park open to close. On the other hand, if we break down, were closest to our resort this day to retreat for a nap/recovery. As it stands, have an 840 ADR at Crystal Palace since lil mav announced she wants to dine with Pooh and friends. This surprised me, as she has sort of outgrown these characters, but she loves Tigger no matter what, so that is probably the main reason. Originally they only had a later ADR for this, but I got the early breakfast today, so that should work out. We then have a 110 ADR at Liberty Tree. We are not on any dining plan, so if were just wanting a break, we can just do apps or share an entree or what have you. It's more of a planned rest than anything. For Dinner I moved our 635 Skippers ADR to 745 to give some extra time between meals, since this is the only day on the trip I have planned out three, but they are three we want to do, and other than CP, we can order based on whatever appetite we have. I expect this park to be a major hit with everyone ride wise. Lil mav is already excited about Dumbo. Hopefully we can last that long, but again, if we must retreat we are close by.

Day six assuming we last the entire day at Magic Kingdom will be another needed non park day. We can sleep in this day, again take in the spa and have a sloooooow start to the day.. We have lunch planned for lil mav at the T-Rex on this day at 1245. She looooooooooooooves dino's, so that should be a hit. I do worry if it will be too loud, but will have her noise canceling headphones just in case. The food isn't really why we are going, so that is an extra if it is ok. We ate at the Rainforest Cafe in Paris Disney and that was the worst food I have ever been served in a Disney park, so the fact the chain is owned by the same people is a fact I am keeping to myself. To make up for whatever we are forced to eat in the name of paleontology, we have a dinner planned at Jiko at 715. This type of cuisine is right up Grumpy's alley, and the only part I worry about is if the dinners I have booked on back to back to back days are a little Same-y. I originally had Flying Fish booked instead but 1. Have been hearing less than great things since the refurb, 2. Expect Grumpy might order a lot of fish at several of these places anyway. 3. It was the only night I could figure out how to get us to AKL/Jiko which we all really want to check out. So its extinct animals followed by more animals! An accidental theme. I almost booked AKL this trip, but couldn't pas up the savings at Shades of Green. If anything will sell a follow up trip, it will be this visit.

Day seven, our last full day, this is an Epcot day. I have a 1040 ADR at Akershus that I hope to get moved a little earlier. Now, lil mav doesn't care all that much about princesses. I really want to eat here though, I think it is beautiful and a castle like setting, plus the fish and different offerings on the cold buffet are right up Grumpy's alley. On many days Grumpy starts the day with nothing but salmon on toast, so while many people don't necessarily go here for the food, that is the selling point for me. The location and princesses are a bonus. Looking forward to Food and Wine and having a low key day. Then we have another restaurant right up Grumpy's alley, Spice Road Table at 8pm, to hopefully dine and watch the fireworks show. This is the capper for the trip, and I know Grumpy will like this style food, but I notice some crossover with Skippers and Jiko, so hopefully this isn't overkill.

Day 8 we have a 2pm flight, so breakfast at Shades then the car service to the airport. To me, this sounds like a very fast vacation that could be frustrating for some, but I hope it is the right pace to set the tone for my group. I am trying to play the long game here, and really hope to sell this as a resort vacation where all tastes are catered to. I hope what I have mapped out is the outline for that, as I really would like us to be back every other year. And if AKL is a big hit...who knows, DVccoughcough...I am just saying....

Last edited:
Looks like a solid plan to me!! My DH loves going to WDW with me but hates crowds so I have to plan in break time so he doesn't become Mr Grumpy! We don't do every other day but we usually don't stay in one park all day.

We absolutely love going to the movies in Disney springs! The theater has two sides - one is a full service restaurant with reserved seats. It's really fun to eat there!

I Know you probably won't be looking for another full meal at AK but the food in Pandora is delicious! It is definitely worth checking out if you need a midday snack! :)

Looks like a solid plan to me!! My DH loves going to WDW with me but hates crowds so I have to plan in break time so he doesn't become Mr Grumpy! We don't do every other day but we usually don't stay in one park all day.

We absolutely love going to the movies in Disney springs! The theater has two sides - one is a full service restaurant with reserved seats. It's really fun to eat there!

I Know you probably won't be looking for another full meal at AK but the food in Pandora is delicious! It is definitely worth checking out if you need a midday snack! :)

In my original plan I had the Satu Li as our lunch spot, but then I scored the FOTL package, and the late Tusker breakfast. I do plan on having a look though, as it seems it would fit our tastes.

Looks like a great plan to me. And honestly there are no right ways to do Disney or Wrong ways to do Disney there is only "your" way to do Disney. We tend to go none stop while at Disney (hence why I am taking the day after my vacation off from work to recoup) but it does not work for everybody. It sounds like this is what you need to do to get your husband more on boat. Good luck with that long game. :thumbsup2
I haven't been to T-Rex since 2013 but it was very load in there. Not sure if your daughter likes stuffed animals but they have a sort of Build a Bear in there but with dinosaurs. It looked like a lot of fun.
Congrats on you 50's Prime Time reservation. That would be cool to be able to see the restaurant all empty.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter