What do YOU see when you look in the mirror?

wovenwonder

DIS Veteran
One of my PM Buddies and I were talking just this past week about the fact that when we look at pictures of ourselves or look in the mirror, we are shocked by what others see....... we just don't 'feel' that big?

Rosie talked about this exact thing on her show this week. She said that when she watched herself on Will and Grace, she wondered who that woman was with the big belly -- only to realize that it was her. She said that it is like when an anorexic looks in the mirror and sees a fat person --- some 'fat' people look in the mirror and see what they want to see also - a person not quite so fat (kind of the opposite effect).

That was one of those 'light bulb moments' for me!

I was just wondering if others were also 'looking' larger than what they 'feel'???
:(

Yuk !!! Thats what i say when i see myself in the mirror,and thats how i feel -YUK!!!!

I am always shocked too I just dont feel this big. I actually had myself convinced no one had even noticed i got FAT! DUH! My sis laughed when I told her that she was liek uhm well we all did notice! I used to be the skinny one in my family. When I had kids the family genetics caught up with me. i am borderline hypothyroid so i am unmedicated for now I'm only 25 but by 40 every women in the family has gone on synthroid....... so we'll see.

I started to lsoe weight in March 2000 i weighed 224 ACKKK!!!!!!!!!! I worked hard and lost 30 pounds then plateuaed for a while then lost another 24 I was down to 169.5 last May then i regained a LOT! I'm at 198ish right now ACKKKK pushing the evil 200 again. So i ahev been trying to lsoe since SEPT again and have been STUCK!

Anyways! LOL! I just dont feel THIS big again! I feel smaller then I catch a glimpse in the mirror and I realize I am BIG again. *sigh*

Its amazing hoiw different the look and the feeling are.

Hoping i can get through our week in Disney wihtout being to worn out and not eating too much junk food!

I have a goal of being under or at 190 by Feb 28th

I would like to be back to 170 by may 18th my sisters wedding!

I know if I can just break the plateau and get moving i can reach my goals.

Hi Jody,
You know my answer to this one!;) However I looked in the mirror this morning at 3:00 am!!! (Seems like I fell asleep on the couch again, and had to crawl into bed in the wee hours of the morning:eek: ) Anyhow.... I did see what the pictures show, and it looked shocking to me. :confused: Made me get slightly more motivated to at least think about eating better!;)

I just had some film developed from last summer (ooopps) and there was a picture of me sitting at the table with a side shot. YUCK, probably one of my worst pictures ever. Don't even get me started on the one by the pool last year, in all of my swimsuit glory.......

I have never felt as big as I look. And I have friends who have commented, when questioned by me, that they don't see me as a big person, just as me. Which is nice but still doesn't negate the fact that I am plus-sized.

It's not so much my image in pictures that moved me to weight loss but the fact that I am now the custodial parent did it for me. I need to be there for my DD so I need to get healthier.

Boy can I ever relate on this one. For some reason - I still think I look like I did at 27 or so - which is 15 years and oh so many, many pounds ago!

I had the great advantage (I think??) of growing up as the only girl in an all boy family (4 brothers). My brothers all thought I was beautiful (and still do, bless them), and as several of them were amateur photographers I was called upon to "pose" frequently. If I do say so myself, I was fairly photogenic and always loved having my picture made! Then, after DD was born almost 7 years ago(at which point my body started really failing me!) - I started noticing that I didn't look so good in the pictures. It was a constant shock to me - and kind of still is! So I guess I sort of went into denial, and started just seeing myself as I though of myself, instead of how I really am.

But now, the health problems have gotten to the point that I MUST get myself back to a decent weight. I want to live a long and happy life, not die young and miss all my DD's life - or be so sick that I can't do anything with my family.

It means so much to me to have this place to come to and see others in a similar situation!

Thanks, everyone!

I can sure relate to this subject. I've been scrapbooking pictures from when I was 19. I still pretty much feel like that person, but I don't look like her! :) I can't believe that I thought I was fat, even then. Oh, to go back and start over again. On the other hand, when I think about it, I know that I don't feel as good as I did when I was small. My energy/stamina is not the same.

I am often shocked when I see myself in the mirror. I don't feel as large as I am. I HATE my big belly, and I won't be sorry to see it go! I'm determined, this time, to make a lifestyle change instead of just dieting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter