What do you think about Yosemite & DL?

I'm also planning a trip to DL and Yosemite in 2014 probably during the month of Sept. We're going to fly into LAX and hoping to spend 4 or 5 nights at the VGC on pts, take one day to drive to Yosemite, spend 4 nights at Yosemite, then drive to San Fransciso, spend one night and fly home from there. That way we're not driving all the way back to LAX from Yosemite. I'm also thinking about stopping at the Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks, never been to this park before. Is there lodging in or near this park, since we won't be camping? Might want to stay one night to break up the drive from LA to Yosemite.

When we lived in Santa Rosa about 23 years ago we use to camp Yosemite and truely love the area. My DH doesn't wish to spend more time in the LA area so I decided to hook a Yosemite visit onto our DL trip. I would like to visit Yosemite at least once more before I can't hike the trails any longer. I still remember hiking to the top of Yosemite Falls, of course that was when I was much younger.

Have fun everyone with your CA trip planning.

We're planning something similar - we're starting off in San Francisco (3-4 nights), then renting a car & driving to Yosemite. We'll go by way of Monterrey so it'll be a little indirect but want to see the gorgeous coastline. I've got reservations in Oakhurst at Best Western Yosemite Gateway - relatively reasonable (with AAA it shows $179 for 3 queen beds, smaller rooms are less but we're a family of 5). Oakhurst is apparently about 15 miles from the south gate. I found a website that has a good itinerary for driving as we're not much able to hike b/c one of our kids just isn't up to it. http://www.yosemitefun.com/images/yosemite_park.htm - if you scroll about 1/2 way down it has a recommended plan with a commute from Oakhurst.

After Yosemite (I think we'll only stay 2 nights & do the 1st day of that website plan) we plan to drive to DL possibly via a quick pitstop in Hollywood just to get a pic of the kids in front of the Hollywood sign ;-) and maybe see the Muppet's star on the walk of fame. Haven't decided for sure on Hollywood but also considered trying to get into a taping of Wheel of Fortune.

And finally we'll hit DL!! Wanted to finish off the trip with a bang :) It's going to be a lot, but I think/hope by planning ahead I'll be able to get some great deals & hopefully we won't exhaust the kids too crazy much. Will be tracking this post for any tips/ideas anyone has.

We're doing something similar to this in mid-Nov. Only we'll only have 1 day in Yosemite :( What would you recommend for 1 day in Yosemite in Nov? I wish it were longer, and may (I'm a big waterfall fan), but we'll still enjoy it.

Starting in DL for 2 days w/ our BFFs, then driving up the coast to SF area, staying in Hayward for 6 nights, using it as a "home base". Plan to visit Muir Woods, SF, Yosemite, and try a day in either Napa or Sonoma. We're trying to plan it all out. Open to suggestions :).

Then we drive down to LAX the day after Thanksgiving, to see our friends off, and drive back to Anaheim. We'll be doing 2 more days in DL Sat and Sun. It'll be a full 10 day adventure. I'm sooooo excited!

I would love to do a Yosemite/DL trip. Is anyone concerned about the hantevirus outbreak??

We're doing something similar to this in mid-Nov. Only we'll only have 1 day in Yosemite :( What would you recommend for 1 day in Yosemite in Nov? I wish it were longer, and may (I'm a big waterfall fan), but we'll still enjoy it.

If the road to Glacier Point is open you should go to Glacier Point for a spectacular view of the valley and the High Sierra Range. Down in the valley, you can visit Bridalveil Falls (5 minute walk to the base), where there should be some water, and Yosemite Falls, where there most likely won't be any water. When we went in autumn we rented bikes and rode around the valley floor. I would also recommend going to the Visitors Center.

I would love to do a Yosemite/DL trip. Is anyone concerned about the hantevirus outbreak??

At this time, the cabins that are susceptible to the hantevirus have all been closed off, and my understanding is that those cabins will be razed. So, I don't have any misgivings, myself.

Since this is turning into more of a discussion on Yosemite, et al, I'm going to move this to the California Board.

We stayed here http://www.stayyosemiteviewlodge.com/ the last time we went and loved it! It is really close to the entrance in El Portal and did not take very long to get to the valley. We will definately be staying there again when we don't camp. It had a number of pools both outdoors and indoors, and it is on the river.

Lots of people planning Yosemite trips! So exciting.

We are planning for June 2013.

Right now my plan is two nights on the Monterey Peninsula, followed by four nights in Yosemite. We are booked at the Wawona Hotel, in a room with a private bath, for four nights. Checking in Monday, June 17 and checking out Friday, June 21.

Of course, the more time passes, the more I want to add DLR into the mix. Dh would have no interest, so if we did, it would just be dd and me... tacking DLR onto the end of the trip. We'd just fly down to Orange County on the same day dh would fly back home to Pennsylvania.

I don't know though. Even adding 3-4 nights in Anaheim adds like $1000+ to the trip.

I would do early September. I have not been to Yosemite in acouple of years but it has to be the beautiful place on this earth. Crowds drop of at both places when school is back in and snow is rare in Yosemite at this time of the year.

Jack

We were there in mid Sept and while crowds were low, the waterfalls were almost non existent. This was our first time so when signs point out some waterfall, all we could see was a blackish mark along the stone where obviously water fell at some time. Not a big deal and we expected it but if I could plan a do over trip I would choose spring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!