What do you think of the Amazon purchase of Whole Foods

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
I like both Amazon and Whole Foods.

I don't shop at Whole Foods all the time, but as an occasional consumer, I do wonder how this will affect them. I've read that the idea is that in the future we should be able to order things like produce online and it will be delivered right to our homes, and maybe even at a reduced cost, since this is part of what Amazon does.

I've also read they were interested in the Whole Foods locations to perhaps use as warehouses, too.

Thoughts on this?

I'm not quite sure how they fit into Amazon's business model, but they have enough cash that even a total failure could be survived.

I get that Whole Foods may fit well into communities where they may be the best option. However, I live in an area where there are lots of alternatives that cost less, yet Whole Foods seems to do quite well anyways.

We don't have any whole foods around here. but as far as delivering produce, etc, we have grocery stores that deliver. It's great for people who are super busy or unable to get out of the house to shop. Me personally I'm too picky to trust someone else to pick out my fresh groceries so I'd probably never use it.

I've read that Amazon is going to basically go through the store and re-brand a lot of stuff.

Whole Foods is known as the "whole paycheck" store. So Amazon wants to end that. When they do, that may mean a good cut to the quality of the food there...

I've read that Amazon is going to basically go through the store and re-brand a lot of stuff.

Whole Foods is known as the "whole paycheck" store. So Amazon wants to end that. When they do, that may mean a good cut to the quality of the food there...

I don't know about that. I don't know if they necessarily want to cut the prices that low, since some people are actually attracted to the high prices. It can people feel good that they're splurging.

Also - I find that their quality is no better than the local independent market with a similar profile, although the prices are much higher. Even then, Whole Foods has great business even with competition that has lower prices.

I don't know about that. I don't know if they necessarily want to cut the prices that low, since some people are actually attracted to the high prices. It can people feel good that they're splurging.

Also - I find that their quality is no better than the local independent market with a similar profile, although the prices are much higher. Even then, Whole Foods has great business even with competition that has lower prices.

But that's Amazon. That's what they want to do.

The name will pull people. It's just a greater step for Amazon and their "Fresh" line... this is just the brick n mortar part to warehouse it while supplying the public as well.

I never liked Whole Foods and I don't expect this to change. We have far better stores both price-wise and product-wise. I also hate the thought of a stranger picking out my produce and meat.

We don't have any whole foods around here. but as far as delivering produce, etc, we have grocery stores that deliver. It's great for people who are super busy or unable to get out of the house to shop. Me personally I'm too picky to trust someone else to pick out my fresh groceries so I'd probably never use it.

Came here to say the same thing. I am very picky about my meat so I would never let anyone else choose it. Heck, most times when my husband goes shopping he sends me photos of the pork chops before he picks some LOL

I didn't ask him to do that but I don't mind one bit that he does.

With the exception of a few items, I found whole foods to be no better than what I could get elsewhere at vastly inflated prices. So if that changes, I guess it might be a good thing. But I'm not for consolidations as a rule.

I think it's an odd mix. I don't see how Whole Foods maintains its brand with Bezos at the helm. I go to Amazon for bargains; I don't view WF as a bargain brand. Of course, they're failing while being perceived as being Whole Paycheck, so maybe they need a complete reboot. I don't shop there. A few times with those prices cured me of that.

It wouldn't be useful for them to do that really. The "Whole Foods" own brand, sure. But Whole Foods actually sells a lot of stuff that people specifically want to see- organic chips or granola or imported sauces. That's what they make their money off of- cruelty free cosmetics, local ice cream and beer and cheese and wine. That's how they get people in the door. If they had just normal groceries, they wouldn't be able to charge the prices they do.

I'm a little concerned that they'll become less community oriented (stop selling unique products) or cut back on their prepared foods or meat counter. But at the same time, I feel that it's unlikely- they could have bought another grocery chain for a lot less if they didn't want to keep that model. And I don't think the warehouse is a likely model either- Amazon has the warehouses- they're doing it for the brick and mortar face of the company. Whole Foods is valuable to Amazon precisely because of the "whole paycheck" thing. It never has been and never will be a discount grocery store. The people who experience the most sticker shock are the type of people who always buy house brand at Safeway. My favorite brand of local beer isn't significantly more expensive at Whole Foods than it is at Safeway. Sure, I could save a lot of money if I bought bud light at Safeway instead but I don't like bud light.

I do think the employee culture is about to change drastically but that probably won't effect customers much.

Whole Foods is not all that- I generally like it in urban areas because it has better produce than the other common option- target. Otherwise it's sort of the Walmart of the organic lifestyle movement- onestop shopping that is neither the cheapest nor the best, but you go because it's one stop and convenient and consistent.

And I could probably survive grocery shopping online. I'd just buy produce and meat and bread at farmers market (or bakery and butcher off season) and then all of the rest of the staples online.

I want to pick out stuff like tomatoes and berries and raw meat, but only that last really matters, because I don't eat a lot of produce out of season.

I walk to the local place for produce and to the butcher for meat, but I will be ALL over ordering some staples I get from Whole Foods in this manner. For handicapped people, I can't imagine how nice this additional offering will be.

Crossing my fingers!
Maybe Amazon will deliver the Whole Foods groceries via drone in a few years.

I'd pay for that. That would be entertainment right there "look mom, here comes the grocery store!"

I think people generally tend to forget that many others have specific dietary issues- if Amazon could offer the same gluten free or vegan selection Whole Foods has, they'd probably become really popular for that reason alone. Those options can be pretty bleak in less urban areas of the country.

I would not want someone to pick out my meats, fruits and vegetables. I want to pick out my own stuff. I like getting out of the house and see other people.

When I read about this I thought to myself that pretty soon a person will never have to leave their home.

Whole Foods is not all that- I generally like it in urban areas because it has better produce than the other common option- target. Otherwise it's sort of the Walmart of the organic lifestyle movement- onestop shopping that is neither the cheapest nor the best, but you go because it's one stop and convenient and consistent.

It depends on where you live. I'd think there are the quirky local markets all over the country, although proximity to produce can be big deal in terms of price. Even so, a lot of produce and other items aren't always local.

I live near Berkeley. They actually two Whole Foods now. I almost never shop at them because I can't see the value. My preference is a local outlet called Berkeley Bowl, which was named because their original location was in a former bowling alley. They are a local institution. They have an extremely wide range of produce (conventional and organic), bulk items, a cheese counter, regular packaged goods, beer/wine, a bakery, etc. It's kind of like Whole Foods, although a lot less expensive and I feel far less pretentious.

The place I go to seems to get really great deals, even though they only have two markets and wouldn't seem to have the buying power of a lot of supermarkets. However, they also can buy odd-lot specials from wholesalers of limited quanties at special prices, and I don't think that's something that a lot of large retailers could handle. It's not necessarily local produce either. I see good prices on apples from Washington, strawberries from the Salinas Valley, oysters from British Columbia, imported produce from Mexico or Chile, etc. The oddest thing I'd seen was blueberries at a great price. They were labeled for export to Japan. I think it might have been a shipment that couldn't make it too Japan (nothing particular wrong with it), and they were willing to take it. I rather like the grab bag nature of random specials.

I just don't like the idea/assumption that amazon is blazing trails that one day we will buy EVERYTHING online and stores will be obsolete.
Plus the few times I've used amazon was to purchase college textbooks 10+ years ago and EVERY single time, I would get a call from a couple weeks later that card was compromised. It didn't matter if it was a credit card or bank card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!